Cataract/Etherington 2012/13

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been snowing there for the last couple days according to the Doppler radar. It seems like its always snowing in that area?

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be snowing, but with warm weather, areas by the Forestry Truck Road 940 (Cat. Crk. valley bottom, and leaving Etherington parking lot) could be thin. Higher altitudes in the trees/forest will be good for snow, might be whoopty-doo'ed up pretty good though. I will be out on Sunday doing a trail safety and maintenance work with another grooming society member.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to post a quick snapshot of the trail safety check and maintenance completed on Sunday, January 27. Two members of the Grooming Society spent a collective 9 hours transversing approximately 50 kms.

Downed large logs were removed from Cataract Creek Trial (near the parking lot), and Cummings Creek Trial which straightened and/or widened the trail to full width. Low leaning trees across the trails and those "crowding" the trails causing trail narrowing were attended to on Valley Bottom Trail, Cataract Creek Trail (only to -->), Wilkinson Summit Trail, Pasque Trial (only to Skyline Trial), Cummings Creek Trial, and Raspberry Pass Trial (upper loop). Signage was generally found to be good, with a few notes to make trails more clearly marked for turns and some signs markers need repainting.

As of now, there have been very few trails not traveled for safety and maintenance. Logger's Trail is the last marked trail to be done, as well as a few connecting trails. If anyone knows of an area or areas of the trail system that require attention, please let me know.

The snow conditions were very favourable, with a touch of grooming to knock down the whoopty-doo's preferrable/needed. The dream continues.....

• Thanks
Reactions: CJR

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nitrobkr and I are heading up on Wednesday - looks like fresh snow on the radar......anyone else coming?

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would have loved to but gotta work to pay for the toys. Heading up on sat. How was the trail over. More snow than rock yet?

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone heading out sunday? Plan on trying this place but have never been there before. I would like to find someone to ride with. Message me if your interested.

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would have loved to but gotta work to pay for the toys. Heading up on sat. How was the trail over. More snow than rock yet?

There is definitely more rock than snow. The mild temperatures aren't helping this year. There probably hasn't been any fresh in a few weeks, need snow.

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tracks behind me aren't ours and they are from the week before.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359749302.020284.jpg

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With this weather I honestly can't give any reliable tips. I have heard Fernie is getting some, maybe Corbin but I do not know for certain.

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spent the better half of the day riding in this area. It was my first time in this area. The trail maps and markings made this place really easy to navigate. Like most areas south of the yellowhead, it could use a new dump of snow but still a great day exploring. Look forward to returning when winter does!

saltwater sledder

Reaction score
how many Km's from where ya unload to where you are sledding in the vid. this awesome vid love to go nver been in there.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from the staging area to the play areas shown on the videos you are about 20km. it isn't so much about the distance as it is about the conditions to go those 20km. you are looking at least 3 open creeks (could be 4 again now with all the mild weather), the exposed rocks, shale and dirt you will need to cross to get there. this is an area i frequent a lot, and i wouldn't even think about going right now, not until they get another 40-60cm dump at least.

Clares240

Reaction score
I would tend to agree with summit on that one, these chinooks are killing us down here on the eastern slopes. I don't imagine the warm weather is doing alot for Fernie right now either, I haven't been down there for about 10 days, but my brother says it's been warm, although it does continue to precipitate somewhat. Probably head off down that way today, not so much for sledding, though I'll take them with me, but for visiting the bro. Think I'll drive up to Atlas have a look around, on my way through.

Top Bottom