Cataract/Etherington 2012/13

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it's rocky for sure. But it's worth it in my opinion. 3 creeks are still open. There was a couple tracks ahead of me from yesterday probably, but they turned back at the first open creek. There is about 7" of fresh on the trail and a couple feet of fresh powder on the bc side in spots.

bennito

Reaction score
Ya it's rocky for sure. But it's worth it in my opinion. 3 creeks are still open. There was a couple tracks ahead of me from yesterday probably, but they turned back at the first open creek. There is about 7" of fresh on the trail and a couple feet of fresh powder on the bc side in spots.
Good to hear there's more snow on the trail. The creeks aren't that bad, it's the two steep hill climbs with not enough snow that do damage on your track and the 2ks of shale at the top that do your skis in a bit. Thanks for the update glad to hear it was a little warmer up there for you, at -20 i'm too much of a sally to even try lol

1BIGBADSLVRAM

Reaction score

We were out there on friday, had a couple kids with us so turned around at the creek. Great day for a ride. When we loaded up and left Etherington truck read -6, when we hit Longview it was -18

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear there's more snow on the trail. The creeks aren't that bad, it's the two steep hill climbs with not enough snow that do damage on your track and the 2ks of shale at the top that do your skis in a bit. Thanks for the update glad to hear it was a little warmer up there for you, at -20 i'm too much of a sally to even try lol

I remember one of the first rides my uncle ever took me on before i owned my own sled was to Fording with my cousins. We had to cross those 2 open creeks. The way there, it was no big deal as there was a bit of fresh on the banks with some ice built up on the creek. On the way back, because of all the traffic barking across there; the steep creek banks were iced up real bad. It reminded me of that show 'Crashed-Ice' but with a moat!! You came straight down the one side and couldnt stop, plunged literally under-water getting soaked, hit the bottom of the creek bed, bounce out of it on your way up the other side with two guys pulling on your ski's. My uncle told us to just keep er' wide open. It was brutal and funny to think back on it now. A couple or four big logs over the one crossing for sure would be awesome.

Nitronix

Reaction score
I remember one of the first rides my uncle ever took me on before i owned my own sled was to Fording with my cousins. We had to cross those 2 open creeks. The way there, it was no big deal as there was a bit of fresh on the banks with some ice built up on the creek. On the way back, because of all the traffic barking across there; the steep creek banks were iced up real bad. It reminded me of that show 'Crashed-Ice' but with a moat!! You came straight down the one side and couldnt stop, plunged literally under-water getting soaked, hit the bottom of the creek bed, bounce out of it on your way up the other side with two guys pulling on your ski's. My uncle told us to just keep er' wide open. It was brutal and funny to think back on it now. A couple or four big logs over the one crossing for sure would be awesome.
Cool story bro. Tell it again. ;)

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Last minute plan last night to head out to cataract. We went over fording and explored some other spots. New to me. Was a great day . Still not much new snow in the last 2 weeks. Can still see tracks from my last ride out there. Lots of rocky sections down low. We ended up hitting a deer on the way out to start the morning. Saw some cool birds and Sheep. Ill post a few more pictures when i get done with them... A few for now. I dont think ill head back out until more snow. ITs pretty tracked up. The fish cops checked for plates and paper work. Had plate in back pack and said its a 57$ ticket if its not attached to sled... got warning......

Deer vs Cat. Cat won
DSC00812_zpsc75019f7.jpg

How many legs lol
DSC00826_zpsd0c3ba01.jpg

DSC00828_zps6a3fca7e.jpg

Can you find all the birds
DSC00831_zpsbe0d9c85.jpg

Billy

201212291802281_zpsdbbb625f.jpg

Welcome to Fording pass. Do you realy want to go sledding there????????

DSC00832_zpsbe480a7a.jpg

Last edited:

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
There were 3 birds. I only see two in this picture. I still have to go through and will post more pictures tomorrow.Yes the deer was a mess. And so is the trailer still. My buddy, his 2 1/2 year and myself went ice fishing and snowmobling today at Crawling Valley and a dog was eating the left overs off the trailer today LOL.

Foothills m8
I know what went in the muff pot :)

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went out to cataract/etherington on Monday for the first time and eventually found the good snow over the top, but the trail to get there was murder. I've ridden my dirtbike on more snow covered trails. Is there more than one way to get over or a different place to park, we parked at etherington. I'm not sure of the name of the trail we took but it was the one with the two creek crossings, it looked like it was the only on the posted trail maps. Any tips would be appreciated, loved the snow once we got there but The trails we took looked nothing like the "skyline 4" picture posted by "good times". Thanks for the help.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I went out to cataract/etherington on Monday for the first time and eventually found the good snow over the top, but the trail to get there was murder. I've ridden my dirtbike on more snow covered trails. Is there more than one way to get over or a different place to park, we parked at etherington. I'm not sure of the name of the trail we took but it was the one with the two creek crossings, it looked like it was the only on the posted trail maps. Any tips would be appreciated, loved the snow once we got there but The trails we took looked nothing like the "skyline 4" picture posted by "good times". Thanks for the help.

You can park in Elkford and come in from the other side. Thats the only trail to get back there from AB side. Two creek crossings? I was there on saturday and went over 4 creek crossings to get there. One frozen, 3 open.The trail to get there is never good. Its part of riding out there.

Top Bottom