Canopy/tailgate seal?

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have this problem with their tonneau covers or canopies? Getting a ton of snow blowing in the gap between tailgate and taillight. No accidents, etc. it's a 2010 Silverado.

Anyone ever use, make, buy some sort of gasket, seal etc? Pretty annoying. In summer it's dust back there on a gravel road.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I get a bit of dust in, between the canopy glass and the tailgate. But never snow like that!!! I have heard of guys using household weather stripping.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cdn tire and most truck outfitters sell tailgate seals just for this purpose. When you install it close the tailgate and look over the top to double check where it needs to go by the tail light to seal. I have this on both my trucks and it works great.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks fireman. I asked them today and they looked at me like I was high. Why GM would make a decent seal there to start with is beyond me. Need something!

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 98 chevy tail gate is not looking so good curtisy of my sled warping it ...

seal is a joke, i set my topper back abit so its not so bad.

first world problem ???

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The canopy seal is ok, it's purely the tailgate. Wouldn't buy this brand of canopy again though that said (leer).

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The canopy seal is ok, it's purely the tailgate. Wouldn't buy this brand of canopy again though that said (leer).
I have a Leer canopy, and like I said...... no snow and very little dust. Don't take this the wrong way, please. Maybe the canopy isn't the issue??? My Leer sit's tight on the Ford, even after sitting on the ground for 3 years

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Leer canopy, and like I said...... no snow and very little dust. Don't take this the wrong way, please. Maybe the canopy isn't the issue??? My Leer sit's tight on the Ford, even after sitting on the ground for 3 years

its all good. The durability has sucked, latches, screens. Leaky window. Interior light falling out. It's only 2 years old. Anyway not to rant though. The seal is ok though by the tailgate!

its more the tailgate to taillight part. The canopy just makes it like a vacuum canister for blown snow and dust.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
its all good. The durability has sucked, latches, screens. Leaky window. Interior light falling out. It's only 2 years old. Anyway not to rant though. The seal is ok though by the tailgate!

its more the tailgate to taillight part. The canopy just makes it like a vacuum canister for blown snow and dust.
That sucks!!! My canopy was bought in 05, with the truck in 05. my only issue with the leer canopy. Is that the front slider likes to open on it's own, other than that. It was been great.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check and see that the space inside you quarter panel, between the panel and the box, that sees huge amounts of snow swirl and dust, is open with a 1" hole inside your stake pockets. Need to stuff those full of something as well.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you put a vent (scoop type)in the roof facing forward it will pressurize the inside and keep most dust and snow out.
Inside canopy is a vacuum and as you see sucks dust and snow inside if not air tight.

Last edited:

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you put a vent (scoop type)in the roof facing forward it will pressurize the inside and keep most dust and snow out.
Inside canopy is a vacuum and as you see sucks dust and snow inside if not air tight.

Great idea, this makes sense. I have a rubber box mat which covers them up now that you mention it. I'll drill some holes over the drains and report back. Thanks guys

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great idea, this makes sense. I have a rubber box mat which covers them up now that you mention it. I'll drill some holes over the drains and report back. Thanks guys

you need a special gm seal kit, there is massive holes under the bed sides that are letting the snow in.

I had one on my 08, Think i got it from Tiger automotive but came with large sponge like inserts for under the bedside rails and a weather stripping roll for the tail gate.

GM them selved might sell a similar kit, i dont remember.

My ram has just the weather stripping roll, at the cold temps sasks having now mannnnnn do i have to slam my tail gate to get it to stay shut.

edit:

heres a similar kit.

http://www.realtruck.com/trailseal-total-truck-bed-seal/

Last edited:

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a job site I was admiring a guys spotless bed under his canopy and he said the trick was to keep the front window of the canopy half open.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a job site I was admiring a guys spotless bed under his canopy and he said the trick was to keep the front window of the canopy half open.

Yep . You have to have a positive pressure on the inside of canopy to keep dust or snow out.

2012ProRMK

Reaction score
Also when i sealed up my tailgate it freezes shut way worse after washing the truck, and is harder to open in general.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clean the DRAIN holes on the floor at the front of the box-- vacuum eliminated. As posted your system is too air tight.

Tried drilling some holes in the mat and made no difference. I'll check out the seal kit, thanks sledneck I hadn't seen that type before.

Top Bottom