can-am 800 engine in a renegade 500?

jroth95

Reaction score
i have a renegade 500. its got lots of power but i crave for more. i do not want to spend 12000 on a new 800 and i want to know if i could buy a crate 800 engine and drop it in with out any difficulty? does every thing line up? i need to know! and wat about the 650 motor cause that would also work.

Last edited:

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if it was that easy everyone would do it. probably would need all new fuel delivery system, exhaust, clutching, COMPUTER, etc. just my thoughts. i have a 02 Summit 700 skidoo and inquired about putting an 800 in it and these are the problems i encountered.

jroth95

Reaction score
ya but with the renegade 500 and 800. all you would need to do with fuel is retune it. and i would buy a new ecu for it any ways (copper head , the only way) and i dont know about the clutch. but i was thinking the 650 cc rotax. it would be perfect. but it would match up the same as the 500 rotax it has now. but as far as the clutching goes. i think it would be the same. i just want to know if ti all lines up and if you can run it with out having to swap out the tranny to. when you get into the exspensive ch!t

putzman75

Reaction score
Another thing that is different between the 500 and the 800 is he front suspension. The 500 has a strut and lower control arm and will not take that much of a beating (i know i rode a friends 500 Outie). The 800 Rene and Outie have shocks, upper and lower control arms up front. With all that much more torque i think the upper strut mounts on the 500 frame will bend. Heck we already bent the mounts on her Outie.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I was just at Martin South and while checking for parts for mine I asked. I would trade it in on a 800 gade rather than trying. The frames are even different between the two models. Lighter supports and metal used as there is way less torque and frame twist. Also suspention, computers, wiring by the time you bought all of those items you my as well trade it and save a few thousand. If you sell privatly you will even save some more money.

jroth95

Reaction score
well if any one here wants a 2008 renegade 500 with vampires. snorkels and a new hmf penland. $8000. and i have a couple more for sale. but i need more power

jroth95

Reaction score
and what abou tthe 650 motor. its not that much bigger. it wouldnt stress any of the frame. but would it fit?

putzman75

Reaction score
Ya it might fit, but i also know that the 650's also have the heavier upper and lower control arm front suspension. Sorry, but i just dont think the 500 frame will hold up

jroth95

Reaction score
but how much different could it be. mine turns tires just the the outy 650 in the mud. how would haveing more tourqe affect the for arms?

putzman75

Reaction score
its not just the number of control arms, its the way that the frame is different and how the force is transmited throught it. ive ridden a 500 outie and a 650 outie and there is quite a difference in the amount of power

jroth95

Reaction score
ya . but with the tourqe monster clutch kit i have in it. i am riding witht the 650 outtys. there is not much difference. and if it is just the controll arms they wont cost that much to replace. i was more wonding about the drive shaft and how it will line up witht the trany and clutch.

putzman75

Reaction score
not sure about the driveshafts or clutches, but like i say the frames are different. its more work than just replacing the control arms too, the 500 frames dont have the mounts for the 650/800 control arms. keep us posted if you do try to take this project on.

jroth95

Reaction score
i think i will research some more. have have replace motors in bike before and i know how to do it. but i dont want to take it aparat and find it wont fit after buyhing a new motor. but ya i might look around for a 650

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
giver, not likely anyone has done this, it will be a headache, but only you can decide if it's worth the work. maybe try nitrous, if you need that much power and it's cheaper. otherwise give it a try as you can do anything with a welder to make it fit.

jroth95

Reaction score
i figured it out. it would cost me 2800 for a crate 650 motor.and to get a guy in edmonton to install it for me it would cost 3500. but it does work with out any frame mods. :)

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if a 650 fits and 800 will fit they are the same except the 650 has smaller pistons, just being honest here you are wasting your time considering it, too much money in the small things, spend some time on can-am talk forum, some guys on there in your boat as well, working on a few more power upgrades to get to the inbetween ground.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
i figured it out. it would cost me 2800 for a crate 650 motor.and to get a guy in edmonton to install it for me it would cost 3500. but it does work with out any frame mods. :)
I would check with the dealer to check on the frame. And what about the ECU and other things? $3500 :eek: can I do it, it took me about 1/2hr to pull the motor out once I had my plastics removed, see the can-am renegade review thread https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f43/renegade-rebuild-review-2007-model-31439.html

Top Bottom