Busted Nytro Coolant Hoses - Weird....

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nytro MTX, 162" Cat track, roll over valve, etc. Sled has 2000 kms on it - last weekend, wound up with pin holes in both coolant hoses going into and coming out of the rad... both holes showed up on the same day, about 2 hrs apart, sled wasn't running hot or working hard (first one happened on the trail), can't figure out why they would fail almost simultaneously and why. Inspecting the hoses, they have failed from the inside out, looks like they developed small cracks that then leaked into the cords, then eventually blew out. Both happened 1-2" from where they enter the rad.

vibration? crappy hoses? anybody have this happen before? Tried a search, couldn't find anything, doesn't seem to be a major issue? Makes me nervous about all the hoses and if they should be replaced now.

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have extensive time on two Nytros and ride with others as well, never experienced this. Are they stock or part of a turbo kit? Some of that is not of the same quality. Might just be an odd coincidence otherwise.

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the machine have a turbo kit installed? You said that they both cracked 1-2" from the inlet into the rad, if the rad was folded over for a turbo install maybe the hoses were never disconnected from the rad. This could cause them to crack from the inside out if they were stressed like this.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nytro MTX, 162" Cat track, roll over valve, etc. Sled has 2000 kms on it - last weekend, wound up with pin holes in both coolant hoses going into and coming out of the rad... both holes showed up on the same day, about 2 hrs apart, sled wasn't running hot or working hard (first one happened on the trail), can't figure out why they would fail almost simultaneously and why. Inspecting the hoses, they have failed from the inside out, looks like they developed small cracks that then leaked into the cords, then eventually blew out. Both happened 1-2" from where they enter the rad.

vibration? crappy hoses? anybody have this happen before? Tried a search, couldn't find anything, doesn't seem to be a major issue? Makes me nervous about all the hoses and if they should be replaced now.

Not knowing alot on this sled it's hard to be sure. I suspect these are the OEM hoses and i will take for granted NO one has pulled them off before.
BUT.... if some one has pulled them off, it could be the fact that they used a screw driver to pry them off and probably damanged the hoses internally by prying into it, (going into the inside to break the seal from the hose and rad spigot with the screw driver)as you mention they are both damanged in about the same location. Inlet and outlet.
That would be my first thought.

Coolant hoses donot fail unless they are OLD or oil gets to them...like many years old, alot older then your sled will be.
Premature hose failure though can be caused by using PURE antifreeze or antifreeze that is old. Pure antifreeze is very corrosive and will eat the enternal of your motor, inclueding rubber. Same holds true with old antifreeze, though i doubt that is your issue.
If bad coolant is the problem it is easy to tell, remove the hose and look at the inside. If the inside of the hose is soft and mushy feeling and when you realy look closely it looks like the rubber is cracking, the coolant is your problem. If it feel like rubber, all is good coolant wise.

I think someone just got alittle rough or careless with your hoses at one time. BTW over tightening of hose clamps can also cause hose damage but generally more common on old coolant hoses and not so much on low milage snowmobiles.

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Not a turbo install issue, they are the stock hoses, they have never been removed before (even still have the stock spring clamps on them) so haven't been damaged from a screwdriver or abuse, coolant seems good but this is about the only thing I can think of at this point. We were thinking much the same, if the sled was older I would suspect some issues with the passage of time, but not so much in this case. The inside of the hose isn't mushy, more like it somehow got brittle right around that area if nothing else. I don't know why it would crack. It was really weird, looking at the inside of the hose you can see small cracks, and they are just the 1-2" from the nipples that come off the rad. Rest of the hose itself seems fine.

Top Bottom