Broken frame on the Can-am

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had to weld up the frame on my 06 Outlander 400 HO XT this past week. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem, or seen /heard of it. I use mine to plow alot of snow in the winter and have the 60" county blade, not sure if that contributed to it or if the frames are just weak to begin with.....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe a pic of where it broke or something? there is a lot of frame, I'll go check my '04 if you give a hint on where to look....

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Can-am frames are as weak as they come. Can-am wont step up to the plate so its up to the consumer.

I have driven the absolute crap out of my quad, jumped it alot, ran it into trees, stumps, banks, rocks, etc, and have rode with large heavy tires for 4 years, and there isn't one person that would disagree with me on this, and I have not had a problem with any frame breaking or bending. I did have the issue that water was sitting in the upper frame and never got drained out and froze. This expanded and split the frame below the seat. That was fixed and I added a stiffner to the bottom just because I had the frame all apart. I went over everything and didn't have any breaks or bends.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
ive owned a renegade since the beginning of its existance... going into Martins Sept of 06 to put my deposit down and then patiently wait. no means bashing just telling the truth

on the other hand all brands have their flaws.

the frame situation can be fix with cutting off the end of the frame and insert treated wood or hard plastic then welded up

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have driven the absolute crap out of my quad, jumped it alot, ran it into trees, stumps, banks, rocks, etc, and have rode with large heavy tires for 4 years, and there isn't one person that would disagree with me on this, and I have not had a problem with any frame breaking or bending. I did have the issue that water was sitting in the upper frame and never got drained out and froze. This expanded and split the frame below the seat. That was fixed and I added a stiffner to the bottom just because I had the frame all apart. I went over everything and didn't have any breaks or bends.

yiks!! i always have water draining out of mine but she stays warm in the winter. will have to check

7000km+ on my renegade no cracks/bends/breaks/etc in the frame. no skids but the frame is beefed up.

it happens to all brands, just happens to can-am's more often

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe a pic of where it broke or something? there is a lot of frame, I'll go check my '04 if you give a hint on where to look....

Mine broke about 4" in front of the rear suspension mounts. You could see it plain as day if you look under the rear d/shaft where it comes out of the back of the engine/tranny. Can't see it being due to water freezing as the quad is kept in a heated garage and the frame isn't bulged or split it was actually cracked straight across the top down the sides and around the bottom as if someone had cut it with a saw. Also had to weld up 2 of the 4 lower front a-arm mounts as they were cracking at the welds to the frame.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks, I'll go have a boo at mine today. I use it mainly for plowing snow and pulling the sprayer around now.

wangdoo800

Reaction score
Can am frames are weak. If you hit them at the right angle in the front it will twist or bend the frame very easily. I rode a can am renegade 800 for about 5 minutes and my son smacked into the front end of it at a very slow speed 10-15 mph. He was not hurt and his 90 had a slight bend in the front bumper, the can am had a broken skid plate and a twisted and cracked frame. The quote was $4500 at martin to have this repaired. I would buy the reinforcement bars that slide through the frame if I were you, its worth the $100 to save a big bill in the future.

Top Bottom