Bought a 2009 Grizzly 700, Any advise on these units?

mbmb

Reaction score
I bought a 3rd quad for spare, 2009 Yammy grizzly 700FI with 302kms on and 22 hrs. Always had Polaris/Canam so this is a new brand or me. I've heard nothing but good things from this model/year, anything bad you guys might know that I should be aware of?

Attachments

• 20160525_145947_resized.jpg
    20160525_145947_resized.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep the rad clean!!! And pack stuff to wash the rad out like a squirt gun or pump. They run hot and need all the help they can get staying cool. A guy I worked with actually took his thermostat right out in the summer. And one thing I personally would do is take the gas tank off and put reflective tape on the under side, they will boil the gas in the summer. But all in all they are one of the best all around quads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbmb

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. ill figure out how to remove the gas tank. I'll relocate the rad once the wife confirms she likes it, then I'll sell her Polaris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
If you wash the rad good after every ride and don't hit every mud hole it should be fine. I do carry a water pump with me though.

The gas tank is a problem. I thought there was a fix for it or recall. Mine boils to. Don't open the gas cap all the way when it's boiling. It will spray you
Don't engage the diff lock if your stuck. will damage it
Other than maintenance it's a great all around machine

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never had overheat issues with my 06 after I installed a jet kit. But Im pretty sure yours is fuel injected. You can always get a rad relocate too.

abiceman

Reaction score
the rad relocate is a good fix for overheating , and spacers or offset wheels to give it a little wider stance . I have 3300 on mine and no other problems.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you like mud AT ALL, please do yourself a favor and get a rad relocate - but this is the case on just about any big boar machine. The spacers really make a huge difference in the stability of the ride - it's a great, light machine with lots of ground clearance but that that comes at the price of stability.

You do not have to worry about your gas boiling on an 09. I do clean my quad after every ride so that might make a difference, but the boiling gas issue was fixed in the 09 and later models.

Other than regular maintenance issues that every make of quad sees, there is only one major design flaw that I've seen on all three of the Grizzly's I've owned. There is a cable coming from the stator on the left side of the bike. The wire travels through a ceramic coated cable stay that is bolted to the side of the engine and runs around the back side of the engine towards the cable harness on the right side of the bike.. It is very likely the ceramic coating will eventually chip away on the cable stay, become razor like, and slice through the jacket of the cable allowing the wires to ground out to the frame of the bike intermittently. Unless you look really, really close to that cable jacket, you'd never even notice that it was sliced but your bike will intermittently stall, backfire, and run rich if this happens. Because it's intermittent, troubleshooting it is near impossible and it is unlikely that any shop will even find the issue for you unless they are already aware of it. Just be aware of this issue and check that first if your bike ever starts running really weird.

Also, take care of those plastics 'cause those special edition plastics are frigg'n spendy. One special edition front fender costs about the same as a full set of regular edition plastics. (Don't quote me, but I think a special edition front fender is about $850 and a full set of regular edition plastics is about $900.)

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BTW, nice clean garage. ...I'm jealous. :)

Last edited:

mbmb

Reaction score
Thank you ALL for the great advise, I cant take credit for a clean garage. Quad is at my place of work as I bought quad off my boss. He has a 09 Brute Force 750 for sale too (I think it has 80 hours on it) but does not have power steering, same tires and rims as the Grizzly.
I to red somewhere the boiling gas issue might have been fixed on the 09's. I'll talk with Rapid Rev about a rad relocate, did a Highlifter relocate on my wifes Polaris, just for ease of cleaning as its never been in water/mud deeper than a foot.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
If you like mud AT ALL, please do yourself a favor and get a rad relocate - but this is the case on just about any big boar machine. The spacers really make a huge difference in the stability of the ride - it's a great, light machine with lots of ground clearance but that that comes at the price of stability.

You do not have to worry about your gas boiling on an 09. I do clean my quad after every ride so that might make a difference, but the boiling gas issue was fixed in the 09 and later models.

Other than regular maintenance issues that every make of quad sees, there is only one major design flaw that I've seen on all three of the Grizzly's I've owned. There is a cable coming from the stator on the left side of the bike. The wire travels through a ceramic coated cable stay that is bolted to the side of the engine and runs around the back side of the engine towards the cable harness on the right side of the bike.. It is very likely the ceramic coating will eventually chip away on the cable stay, become razor like, and slice through the jacket of the cable allowing the wires to ground out to the frame of the bike intermittently. Unless you look really, really close to that cable jacket, you'd never even notice that it was sliced but your bike will intermittently stall, backfire, and run rich if this happens. Because it's intermittent, troubleshooting it is near impossible and it is unlikely that any shop will even find the issue for you unless they are already aware of it. Just be aware of this issue and check that first if your bike ever starts running really weird.

Also, take care of those plastics 'cause those special edition plastics are frigg'n spendy. One special edition front fender costs about the same as a full set of regular edition plastics. (Don't quote me, but I think a special edition front fender is about $850 and a full set of regular edition plastics is about $900.)

Dammit. Now I will have to find this and fix it before it happens to my 2007

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
We've had different years of this bike, the 660 was the only one we had that boiled gas, the 700's we have had and the one we still have never a problem, never had a problem with the rad either, but then again we don't do the mud bogging either, and we keep our bikes clean between rides. The 700 we have right now, plows in the winter and used to do a lot of trails, but son grown up and it hardly gets used anymore, but always starts right up, has a few thousand clicks on it, and never a problem. When the choice came to sell the 700 grizz or the 800 can-am(newer) we kept the grizz, that speaks volumes.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dammit. Now I will have to find this and fix it before it happens to my 2007

Seemed to happen at about 3000 km on each. I'm really unsure what caused that ceramic coating to chip away - mud perhaps?

Top Bottom