Big 3 Automakers

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like Ford is the only one out of the big three that dont need the bail out money at this time, according to the news tonight.... I cant belive that there are people hear canadains and amaricans that will not support amarican automakers, and would rather buy a pice of Jap crap.... Just wounderin do the japs let ford or Gm sell cars in japan ???

Did you know that toyota has a higher percentage of parts for some of their models made in North America, than some of the big 3 do on their models.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like Ford is the only one out of the big three that dont need the bail out money at this time, according to the news tonight.... I cant belive that there are people hear canadains and amaricans that will not support amarican automakers, and would rather buy a pice of Jap crap.... Just wounderin do the japs let ford or Gm sell cars in japan ???

Noticed you ride Kawasaki? Crap is it? Didn't know Polaris is American?

Last edited:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That really is the root of the problem - agree. However the banks turned that stupidity into a product that could be sold.

Bailouts do not address the fact that if we are going into recession - car sales are taking a tumble anyway.

If you look at pharma tech stocks - Biomira was $20 a share 4 yrs ago - they are now $0.90 cents. Are they looking for bailout? No - they are selling off phase three trial drugs to Merck as they cannot afford to sink any more money into R&D. They are cutting staff and restructuring. That is business.

The comments made about the trickle effect if the big three go under are greatly exagerated - as there are many other car manufacturers that will pick up the shortfall. Their production and parts requirements will increase and jobs transferred.

Exactly. If the economy is in that bad of shape, and everyone has stopped spending, people are going to stop buying vehicles. We all now they are the single worst investment anyone can make. What makes us think a bail out of auto manufacturers is going to make us buy more cars!? Why bail out companies that could potentially fail one way or another. That money will be GONE, along with the employees, pensions, benefits........Except of course the multi million seperation package for the coporate heads. NO ONE IS GOING TO WIN, bottom line.

Government money NEEDS to be spent supporting new technologies and new businesses trying to develope. I'm sure every struggling small business owner with a sound business plan and potential blockbuster product or service must be spinning in frustration right now. Oh, and let's be REALLY honest here....governments don't give away money unless they have something to gain from it.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being a student... I'd rather see some (at least) of that money going into education for us youth... Who will be paying for all of your pensions, etc in the future. Most of our text books are WAY outdated, as is the technology we use. Some computers we have in our school are almost 10 years old... Which is better than nothing. But really, I'm sure the government can spare us a FEW dollars more!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Banks didn't put us in this mess. people (americans in particular) who spend 20-50% more than they earn put us in this mess.

ya but unfortunately a good chunk of the public listens to their bank before their own brother or family so many people have been guided in the wrong direction. not everyone is good with finances ie Doctors and Dentists...

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That really is the root of the problem - agree. However the banks turned that stupidity into a product that could be sold.

Bailouts do not address the fact that if we are going into recession - car sales are taking a tumble anyway.

If you look at pharma tech stocks - Biomira was $20 a share 4 yrs ago - they are now $0.90 cents. Are they looking for bailout? No - they are selling off phase three trial drugs to Merck as they cannot afford to sink any more money into R&D. They are cutting staff and restructuring. That is business.

The comments made about the trickle effect if the big three go under are greatly exagerated - as there are many other car manufacturers that will pick up the shortfall. Their production and parts requirements will increase and jobs transferred.

the term Bailout has a lot of people confused, the money GM is getting is a 2 year loan with interest being paid, its like a bridge finance, they are not getting Billions handed to them with no rules or guidlines, oh ya and interest being paid, usually GM gets money from investors but theres none of that going on so the Governemnt stepped in and they recognize how big this is, even though 60% of the public disagrees,

get the facts instead of beating on own of the only North American industries that truely makes a differance in our countries.
again I agree the big 3 have been running sub par for a few years but I know GM has recognized this in a major way over 3 years ago but the major changes take time in this industry so just wait and you will see some very impressive stuff coming from GM in the next few years... sorry to the haters but it aint over yet and GM especialy will never disapear...

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well lets wait and see how "creative" the accounting departments can get. I bet some of the money, if not all, disappears. This smells of the Quebec fiasco.

On a good note Ford has only asked that the money be available should they need it. They are going to tough it out on their own and only use the money if needed...I believe that's called being responsible and accountable.

Again I will also bring up the fact that there are thousands of struggling small businesses that need financial backing as well. They may have a stellar product or service that the public would pay for, a company that might hire hundreds of people, but since they can't get financing in these troubled times, many of these companies will slowly disappear. Why do they get ignored and a big company that pays their coporate heads millions get mega bucks. This to me is the irresponsible decision being made by our gvernment.

You also have to think that vehicle prices are going to have to drop in order to stimulate people to buy. If the car companies were crying because margins were down and that's why they got in trouble, then what is going to give on any new product? In order to produce a cheaper vehicle, that means cheaper parts, less engineering and design, and of course cheaper labour. See where this is going. To me it is investment in the wrong sector. Good buy loans....hello chapter 11.

Not a hater.....just trying to see things realistically. If they do indeed succeed, then my hats off to them.

Now I have to go buy some Ford stock.

Top Bottom