Best Helmet Cam for Sledding?

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for input on what is the best helmet cam for sledding? I bought a cheap Chinese knock-off Go Pro style off Amazon and its a complete PIA to download and watch videos, never mind trying to post any content. Any input on what works best and is easy to be able to post to IG, Facebook, etc. would be most welcome... P.S. I was born in the '60s and am technically challenged so simple and easy is what I'm looking for vs pro-style quality. Thanks!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...=2ahUKEwjC16nPkLnnAhUY7p4KHW3aAZUQvhd6BAgBEFg

71ZBo2ZrNUL._AC_SX355_.jpg

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
GoPro is by far the easiest to manage. GoPro Hero 5 black is the oldest is go back to. Has a screen to easily set up your videos, and video stabilization and low light performance. No need to go anything newer.

I have had GoPro Hero 1080, GoPro Hero 3 Black, GoPro Hero 3+ Black, GoPro Hero 5 Black, and a GoPro Hero 7 Black. Hundreds of hours of filming, torture tested, dropped thrown, submerged, cold and heat. I’ve never had a problem with any of them.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You want easy-peasy? Look at the Contour Roam2. Simple on off switch and no f*cking around. No problem for me to handle the technical downloading for video and editing. I am a little older than you are (not much mind you) and gave up on the GoPro's. My Mac with iMovie works well with the editing process on all camera. Slow-mo, speed up, cut, trim, freeze frame, all work well with the Mac.

If you don't have a mac, you will still need to download an editing app or program. Good luck and once you get the hang of it you will enjoy.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
You want easy-peasy? Look at the Contour Roam2. Simple on off switch and no f*cking around. No problem for me to handle the technical downloading for video and editing. I am a little older than you are (not much mind you) and gave up on the GoPro's. My Mac with iMovie works well with the editing process on all camera. Slow-mo, speed up, cut, trim, freeze frame, all work well with the Mac.

If you don't have a mac, you will still need to download an editing app or program. Good luck and once you get the hang of it you will enjoy.

Good mention on the editing software, with the gopro there is an app you can do everything on your phone, without even needing to download onto the computer.

But GoPro has a program for free program that you can download and use, it goes and does all the steps for you in the program taking it off your camera and onto the computer. And then edit as well. Very user friendly, and in program tutorials.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know that Go Pro has a huge share of the market, but always hated the mounting options. I have had a couple different Drift cameras and have been really happy. Low profile mounting & love the stop / start wristband (wrap it around my handlebars).

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love a tutorial on my GoPro session... bought it a few years back, no clue what to do with it.

longtrack 156

Reaction score
I never buy another GoPro, clip broke nearly lost it, bought another clip it broke too. Now I have a string and pin to hold it on. Dog leash at the Dollar store has a better clip. Also you need good editing software, (Cyberlink Power Director or similar), with lens distortion correction. The only way to get decent video is to have the camera perfectly centered on the horizon to stop fisheye lens distortion. My GoPro has a narrow lens setting which gives a much better video but doesn't like too much motion!

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I never buy another GoPro, clip broke nearly lost it, bought another clip it broke too. Now I have a string and pin to hold it on. Dog leash at the Dollar store has a better clip. Also you need good editing software, (Cyberlink Power Director or similar), with lens distortion correction. The only way to get decent video is to have the camera perfectly centered on the horizon to stop fisheye lens distortion. My GoPro has a narrow lens setting which gives a much better video but doesn't like too much motion!

Which clips are you talking about? I’ve never heard of any mounts breaking before. Only if the adhesive wasn’t properly attached.

Mount the GoPro under your visor, it’s the safest place for it. Or get a chest mount, princess auto had them for $10.

longtrack 156

Reaction score
The clasps that fit into the adhesive part, (see pic)

IMG_1999aa.jpg IMG_1998aa.jpg IMG_1997aa.jpg
Which clips are you talking about? I’ve never heard of any mounts breaking before. Only if the adhesive wasn’t properly attached.

Mount the GoPro under your visor, it’s the safest place for it. Or get a chest mount, princess auto had them for $10.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have never had a mount break there, does it break from impact? Or just from taking it off and on? Do you ever use the silicone insert?
s-l1600.jpg

longtrack 156

Reaction score

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Broke two of them, installing the camera in mount, only used the camera about a dozen times. the dog harness has been used 3 or 4 times a week for the last 12 years!

I have put gopro’s on hundreds of times, if the mount has any ice in it you will bind and it could possibly stress fracture at that point. Even when the mounts get dirt in them they get fairly rough where it slides and they bind that way too. I don’t know what else to say, even my buddies I put gopros on never said they had one break like that. Maybe they did but never said.

Not aftermarket mounts are they? Made from chineseium lol

longtrack 156

Reaction score
Came with the camera from GOPRO, like I said i only used the camera a few times, Always installed the camera at home before going out.

I have put gopro’s on hundreds of times, if the mount has any ice in it you will bind and it could possibly stress fracture at that point. Even when the mounts get dirt in them they get fairly rough where it slides and they bind that way too. I don’t know what else to say, even my buddies I put gopros on never said they had one break like that. Maybe they did but never said.

Not aftermarket mounts are they? Made from chineseium lol

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was getting a new camera it would be the Insta360 ONE X, the videos I see created from it are pretty impressive. Now if 360 vids are not what you are after than its overkill.

Just check out #insta360onex on the gram for many examples.

Top Bottom