Best handheld gps to use

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is anyone running the GPS overlay files that ride Valemount provides?

How did they work?

Does revelstoke offer anything like this?

uploadfromtaptalk1450405102660.jpg

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It depends on you wallet....

the best GSP for riding with others is the Rhino
the "Heads" finds feature is worth every penny.
If you buddy gets lost them just call him.
When he repays back his "head" shows up with his exact location
and no matter which direction you ride to him his location is always there on the GPS.

If you boondock or do much exploring the Montana GPS mounted on the sled dash or handle bar works excellent
the screen is 2x the size of the Rhinos and is easy to see as you ride
helps you get your bearings very fast.
Wire it into the battery using the Garmin Power Cradle and it is always charging and you can leave the backlight on to see when snowing or if in the dark riding out.

I have the Montana power cradle mounted on my quad, sleds and truck. (1 Montana used where I need it)
But I also ride with the Rhino on in my upper jacket pocket using the Motorola Mic which is clipped on the jacket or backpack strap.

Montana for direction, waypoints, tracks and contour lines (large screen)
rhino for communication with mic, find you buddies "head" feature and back up GPS if lost Or broke the Montana.

Your GPS Chip is as important as the GPS
- Basic GPS comes with major hi ways and no back raids or trails
- ETOPO maps are around 100 bucks and offer very good roads and trails and contour lines
- best I have found is the BC/Alberta BackRoads Maps chip about $250 that fits into your GPS - best roads, trails and contour line which will indicate creeks, cliffs, flat ground - just by looking at the GPS you know what is in front of you

also the more you work with Garmins desktop/laptop software either Mapsource or Basecamp you save all you tracks/Waypoints so you end up with a library of all your rides
also if you plan a ride to a location your can email the GPS tracks to your buddies and everyone has a set of tracks loaded in their GPSs before you even leave the parking lot.
- you can even print out maps with your tracks and proposed ride so people understand where they are going and they get a better idea of what's ahead.

Hope this helps
if not and have questions then PM me
Did some reading on the power cradle.....
If you didn't buy e start and therefore don't have a battery I read that the unit won't charge below 3000 rpm on the etecs.

And when you rev above and below the Montana asks you to acknowledge that you switched power sources.

Seems like a pain in the ass.

Can anyone confirm this?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far, I've only kept it in the front pocket of my quading Carhartts or in the goggle bag of my M8000, so it hasn't exactly gotten THAT cold. Haven't had an issue. It IS brand new too tho.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.
Do you have any problems with it loosing signal in your goggle bag?
Was wondering if I could keep it in the plastic glove/Google box on my t3 and it still work.

Or do I need a fabric riser bag.
Or does it need a clear view of the sky...aka ram mount?

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Do you have any problems with it loosing signal in your goggle bag?
Was wondering if I could keep it in the plastic glove/Google box on my t3 and it still work.

Or do I need a fabric riser bag.
Or does it need a clear view of the sky...aka ram mount?
I have NO issues with it whatsoever in the goggle bag. I made sure that it was the top item in there, but not sure I needed to.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

mkbraap

Reaction score
Anyone have anything good or bad to say about this unit?

View attachment 192368
That's my gps of choice for mountain riding. Still accepts all maps, I use Birdseye satellite photos. With touch screen if u crack the screen then it's useless so I don't take my montana and rarely the rhinos anymore. It will work from inside the front glove box lid on the xm's

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom