Banshee owners I need some advice

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So im new to 2 strokes and new to sportquads really. What do you guys recommend for fuel mix rates and what types of oils are you using? Im just looking for some maintenance ideas. What do you guys use on your chains? What are you looking at after a ride or before? Are there any upgrades you did right away as sort of a preventative maintenence or anything?

HONDA310R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So im new to 2 strokes and new to sportquads really. What do you guys recommend for fuel mix rates and what types of oils are you using? Im just looking for some maintenance ideas. What do you guys use on your chains? What are you looking at after a ride or before? Are there any upgrades you did right away as sort of a preventative maintenence or anything?

i use amsoil(there best full synthetic) mixed at 32:1 ratio. as for chain any lube i use cheap canadian tire castrol lube. change your tranny oil every 2nd ride and get a good air cleaner K&N and oil and clean after each ride. Clean your bike and check the bolts after each rides banshee's rattle stuff loose

ghglenn

Reaction score
You need this for your filter Pro Design Racing. Stock mount for the filter is junk, seen many motors ruined by people not remounting filer correctly.

If you want to buy pipes these are pretty much the best all-around pipe you can get. Gives the banshee more low-end hit, with incredible pull from mid-to top...better power band curve.

Holeshots will be in your future.:beer:

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

All great points above!
All I can say is" If you take care of your machine, it will take care of you". before I ride,I check the oil, make sure the filter is reasonably clean and oiled(clean it every 1 or 2 rides), keep all the pivot points greased and check for loose bolts( Blue loc-tite is a wonderful thing I must add). As for the chain, I run a RK X-ring chain. A very good chain that requires less lube than a standard chain, but I still lube it with chain wax every so often.
You might want to look into a billet high flow water pump impeller as the stock plastic ones tend to get brittle and break without notice(A good reason to have a temp gauge). For the oil I have been running the 80w gearsaver since I had my bike and it seems to work good. For the mixture I use 2r mixed at 38:1
I think the very first mod I did to mine was the extended rear axle and wider front a-arms mainly because a stock banshee handles like a turd. After that it was a cool head and then skid plates. Then winter came and it was all over. everything is now aftermarket!

Anyway, glad to see you made a choice. I hope you have fun with it! Give me a pm if you have any questions at all.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am a strong believer in factory oils. Yamaha mix(2R) and tranny. D.I.D 520 X-ring chain, Klotz chain oil, just to keep the x-ring's moist. Also when you adjust your chain, use a tape measure. DO NOT trust the facty aligning marks. They are good for a guide point. Get rid of the factory air filter(as mentioned above). That was my first mod. Then going to the Trinity Racing 2 into 1 carb kit, and Paul Turner top end pipes, Clutch, and basket, Shifter forks, and gears. Cut down the tranny drain plug. It allows the oil to flow, and cool faster. Ice antifreeze. Also depending of any night, or river running. The stock lights, suck azz, once you click off 3rd gear, running the Sturgeon at night. I went with a 350w stator, and 2-150w in the fronts, also using a Summit voltage regulator.

Drewski, and everyone else has made some great notes, and she'll never let you down.

One more thing....the stock shifter, is very soft. Either upgrade to a billet alum, or carry an extra one with you. If it does break, and you don't have a back up. Vise Grips, and put 'er in 2nd. You'll get out of anywhere, and not have to be towed home.

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks a ton for the info guys. Found one and going to hopefully bring her home. I saw that about the headlights being crap and found a decent write up on the net about adding a battery and stator. and also a write up on adding a temp guage. Any suggestions on a good billet impeller? I see pro design has one.I figure by next weekend i can have the girlfriend fuming and unable to find me :rollingpin:

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:):) Eddis Sanders Racing makes a nice temp gauge .You can install it on top rad hose so you can look at it from the top air fin hole by the tank . Maxima coolanol antifreeze it raises your boiling point.

All great tips as mentioned above ,can also add lube WD-40 to brake and clutch lever pivot points.Chech antifreeze overflow bottle level. Maxima Castor 927 at 32:1 try to have fresh fuel as it tends to burn better less bogging.Belray super clean chain lube it does'nt make a mess of your bike.Tire pressure. Good Luck and enjoy.:cool:

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks a ton for the info guys. Found one and going to hopefully bring her home. I saw that about the headlights being crap and found a decent write up on the net about adding a battery and stator. and also a write up on adding a temp guage. Any suggestions on a good billet impeller? I see pro design has one.I figure by next weekend i can have the girlfriend fuming and unable to find me :rollingpin:

mod quad, pro design,make an impeller. Mull engineering make an impeller that presses onto the existing stock impeller shaft. The stock shaft is supposed to be better. Or you could go with a Chariot Performance impeller. They make a high flow impeller or the beefy mega flow impeller. Any of these will work fine but I chose the MULL ENGINEERING.

This is what I ended up doing for my temp guage
S6302356.jpg

S6302377.jpg

It's a Trail tech Vapor computer. cost me $100 and is a great investment and piece of mind.
It tells you RPMs,max RPMs, temperature,max temperature, speed, max speed, ambient temp, time,and lap times and some other stuff. It was reasonably easy to hook up also.

HONDA310R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your gonna mod the motor a good egt guage is a very good investment i have a koso guage on my 310r and have never blown that big bore up! its a perfect way to keep a eye on your jetting

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking at those trail techs last night. Seems like a pretty good idea. $129 off their site isnt that bad for a piece of mnd like that. Im not used to the 2 stroke so a tach would be nice to have for a bit too

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking at those trail techs last night. Seems like a pretty good idea. $129 off their site isnt that bad for a piece of mnd like that. Im not used to the 2 stroke so a tach would be nice to have for a bit too

I think I paid $109 from ebay and $20 for shipping. The only thing is, you really can't see anything on the computer when your hauling ass. I just like to be able to see my max speed,rpm,temp, and distance when I stop. Still worth it to monitor your temps though and it looks trick!

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well ill be lookin into it. Just came home with an 05. Things in great shape, 3 sets of rubber, already has the pro design filter, FMF gold series, and the rest is untouched. Loading up the quad and gfs bike tomorrow and off to vega.

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well ill be lookin into it. Just came home with an 05. Things in great shape, 3 sets of rubber, already has the pro design filter, FMF gold series, and the rest is untouched. Loading up the quad and gfs bike tomorrow and off to vega.

Let us know how the quad and ride went!

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy crap is all tha comes to mind. To be able to whip through the whoops and keep up with the bikes was insane. What a rev happy little bugger. I am as happy as could be with this machine. I am thinking about a few suspension upgrades in the future but overall it was great. Those holeshots are a great tire. Thanks everyone for the help in this decision! I did notice 1 thing. Those raptor owners sure dont like banshees lol. We ran into a few and it was as if i was flippin them off. Thanks again everyone for the help. My next question is who makes a good set of bars? these are lower then stock (Guy i bought it fro was pretty short) and im crouched over quite a bit.

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No pics of her yet though. It rained the entire time out in vega. Wel until i was strapping it into the truck and looked up to blue skys. I hear there was snow here so rain didnt seem that bad afer hearing that.

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy crap is all tha comes to mind. To be able to whip through the whoops and keep up with the bikes was insane. What a rev happy little bugger. I am as happy as could be with this machine. I am thinking about a few suspension upgrades in the future but overall it was great. Those holeshots are a great tire. Thanks everyone for the help in this decision! I did notice 1 thing. Those raptor owners sure dont like banshees lol. We ran into a few and it was as if i was flippin them off. Thanks again everyone for the help. My next question is who makes a good set of bars? these are lower then stock (Guy i bought it fro was pretty short) and im crouched over quite a bit.

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself! I use the pro taper 1 1/8 bars for my quad. You have to get the bar adapter to make them fit though. The adapter sort of acts as a riser but won't increase it much, maybe an inch. You can also get different bends of bar. The only problem with the pro-tapers are they are a very strong bar and if you roll it the chances of bending them is slim, so the next thing down the line may bend....yep, the steering stem. If that happens like it did to me, you can get an extended anti-vibe stem. The stem was one of my favorite investments as it helps dampen the vibrations. It's your choice on the bars. I have just always used them on all my bikes.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I try to stick with a factory bar as so what if it bends, staighten her out and keep on riding.When you get time to change the bars it's easier to change the bars than it is the stearing stem. My thoughts anyways.

ghglenn

Reaction score
X2 on the anti-vibe stem.... I have a Roll Design +1 anti-vibe stem, and Pro-taper Bars. They are great for me. It all depends on how you fit on the quad, and the stems and different bar bends allows you to customize the fit/feel.

You should PM Tyler (Honda 310R), here on the board, he can hook you up with parts at a better deal than the stealerships. Plus, he knows a thing or two about building custom sport quads.

Any pics of the new Banshee?

Just be warned, these things can be addicting. lol :eek:

drewski

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 on the anti-vibe stem.... I have a Roll Design +1 anti-vibe stem, and Pro-taper Bars. They are great for me. It all depends on how you fit on the quad, and the stems and different bar bends allows you to customize the fit/feel.

You should PM Tyler (Honda 310R), here on the board, he can hook you up with parts at a better deal than the stealerships. Plus, he knows a thing or two about building custom sport quads.

Any pics of the new Banshee?

Just be warned, these things can be addicting. lol :eek:

X2 on these things being addicting. I think I enjoy customising these things as much as I do riding them. I hope your wallet is deep lol.

Top Bottom