Back pack

EarlFace

Reaction score
Hey guys a group of us are coming out at the begining of march (riding 6-7). im just trying to get some things together and was wondering what does everyone suggest i put in a back pack? av gear a few extra clothes possibly a few granola bars and something to drink i was thinking for sure. anything else? also, what should i be drinking that wont freeze? riding around home its a little different we can just go back to the truck if we really get that thirsty. anyways, any insight would be awesome thanks.

backseatrider

Reaction score
Don't forget your shovel and probe. Little shots of booze warm you up, thermos of hot water makes cup of soup or unthaws your fuel pump!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry a large pack, because of a accident our group had 3 years ago, which one guy had to spend the night with a broken leg, down a cliff.

I make sure I have in my pack and never open unless I have to:
First aid kit
hand warmers
power bars
space blankets
small emergency tarp from coghlans
candle
firestarter
matches

Other things are useful like:
spare gloves
spare socks
another layer (fleece)
toque
$hit tickets
trail mix
energy drink
sunglasses
spare goggles
batteries
Shovel (mandatory!)
Probe (mandatory!)
GPS
2 way radio
knife
rope
pulleys
water
juice

EarlFace

Reaction score
thanks guys thats about all i need. i forgot to name shovel and probe but yes they will be in there.:p

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't forget your shovel and probe. Little shots of booze warm you up, thermos of hot water makes cup of soup or unthaws your fuel pump!

Here we go again. "Little shots of booze warm you up". I have been out in all types of weather, don't own all the fancy klim gear or clothing and never needed little shots of booze to keep me warm. In my backpack is my shovel, probe they are a must. Then I usually have a bag of beef jerky, granola bars, chocolate bars, water, some crystal light drink mixes, and sno bungee. Please fellow riders lets keep the booze in the hotels so we all can make it back safe and sound, I have to much at home to lose because of Alcohol. Just my opinion of course.:d

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just remember the more you put in the more weight on you back... rode last week pack was way to heavy as I was holding extra stuff for a buddy and hit a nice wind lip nice air till I came down body landed first and then the pack came down and tore a mucle in my upper back...now I pack everything that can stay on the sled in a tunnel bag... ie lunch water oil first aid kit etc... all my pack has is probe shovel and camel bak

EarlFace

Reaction score
is there any way to keep water besides in a thermos? thats my biggest issue right now but thanks for all the ideas guys there are some good ones

Mtsledder

Reaction score
I always carry about 4 bottles of water with me. I put those in my seat. In my pack is all the safety stuff plus granola bars, chocolate bars, beef jerky. I was out and Revy a month ago and some of the guys in the group brought cheese and crackers and oysters. Wow did that make the cabin stink!! You can also bring smokies and hot dogs. The cabins up in Revy had stove's so you can cook on them. Some guys even brought canned soup. The cabin at Belle has only a heater so you can't cook anything. You can also buy a muff pot and let your lunch cook while your playing in the powder!!!

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bring a tow rope too! I needed it last time I was in Revelstoke to pull out my buddies brand new xp!

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here we go again. "Little shots of booze warm you up". I have been out in all types of weather, don't own all the fancy klim gear or clothing and never needed little shots of booze to keep me warm. In my backpack is my shovel, probe they are a must. Then I usually have a bag of beef jerky, granola bars, chocolate bars, water, some crystal light drink mixes, and sno bungee. Please fellow riders lets keep the booze in the hotels so we all can make it back safe and sound, I have to much at home to lose because of Alcohol. Just my opinion of course.:d

"Little shots of booze warm you up".
Yes, I carry 2 x water, 2 x gatorade and 2 x beer. I usually come back with some of each. If we want a beer or a "little shot" on the hill that is our choice providing no-one is impaired. We can have a responsible drink on the hill. If you cannot handle it than stay in the hotel because I promise you that there is not a day on any hill where at least one beer is consumed. If you see someone imparied then approach them or call the authorities.

Mtsledder

Reaction score
"Little shots of booze warm you up".
Yes, I carry 2 x water, 2 x gatorade and 2 x beer. I usually come back with some of each. If we want a beer or a "little shot" on the hill that is our choice providing no-one is impaired. We can have a responsible drink on the hill. If you cannot handle it than stay in the hotel because I promise you that there is not a day on any hill where at least one beer is consumed. If you see someone imparied then approach them or call the authorities.

X2 on the booze issue. I totally agree with you. It's nice to have a beer at the cabin while your chatting about your day so far. It's also nice to have a few more once you do get back to the hotel. Not everyone is out there to get drunk. The little shot of booze to keep you warm is more of a little harmless excuse just to giggle at.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I to have enjoyed a beer mid day while skiing or sleding.....but facts are facts....Alcohol thins the blood so as far as the warms you up comments it may make you feel warm and fuzzy, but its just in your head.....Enjoy your beer or shot if that makes you happy....but keep in mind if it comes to surviving in the cold, it may just be the beer or shot that does you in.....

Save it for the hotel, two many people get hurt on liquid courage...

Just my 2 cents

Top Bottom