Axys snowcheck

Megrizzly

Reaction score
FYI, Polaris really flogs the oil to this new 800ho engine during the 18hr break-in where it seems to level off. Oil usage after break-in is still higher than the previous 800. This is one of the advantages of an electronic oil pump, but another would be that you could fine tune it in the future to change ratios at different rpms if needed. Should have an alarm such as a faulty pump or low oil pressure.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel the motor is going to be a very strong runner!!! They've changed the crank, pistons, port timing, gone to controlled power valves, different reeds, i'd say they've revamped the motor quite extensively. Oh and an electronic oil pump. Maybe this pump is designed in the same fashion to reduce the oil consumption also, i don't know i haven't read enough about its function yet!! And propaganda!!! LOL, every manufacturer has it, it's part of the selling program!!!

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I won't be snow checking a 16 as my 15 only has 110 miles so far.I would never buy a first year run of anything polaris makes.Now a 17 I may consider but I would probably sell my wife's 09 700 RMK and give her the pro.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we are raffling off a 2015 not near enough tickets sold very good odds
I still have my 2010 Dragon, and no fix it kit. The sled has been flawless, as far as Dragons go.....
First year production can make or break a good year, and I'm seriously thinking about snow checking a 2016. I know I can find a smoking deal on New 2014's and 15's, but I think I'm gonna go for a 16

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hm "Electonic Oil Pump eliminates power robbing gear drive" This from the Polaris propaganda. That is total BS. It is a fact that a gear drive is infinitely more efficient than an electric pump with electronic control. Even in the most efficient senerio the 800 HO has to generate the electricity then return the electricity back to a mechanical pump both of those conversions has significant inefficiencies. Pie in the sky efficiency ratings on such a small scale would be 80% X 2 = 64% efficiency. A gear driven pump under the same conditions would have an efficiency in the very high 90%. If Polaris engineers have developed break thru technology that will render gear drives obsolete I look forward to the elimination of transmissions and differentials in trucks. It seems to me that Polaris faced significant engineering challenges in their attempt to keep up with the competition and simply threw in the "Electronic Pump" and tried to market it as an innovation instead of the patch that it really is. At the very least Polaris has spooked me.

Is this for real? How can you compare an electric oil pump to "revolutionizing" a transmission? That's not even the same league. It's comparable to the drag caused by an alternator in a vehicle.

I can see some power being freed up from an electric oil pump, it wouldn't be much or anything useable, but they can make their claim.

Sent from my iPhone

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know of any vehicles on the road today, off hand, that use an electric oil pump. Not saying there are none, just that I don't know of any.

me either, im totally in the dark on the oil pumps, but my old turbo had one and it never quit.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im not sure what kind of horse power it would free up over the mechanical pump but it might draw 60watts. which in my mind is nothing. like your hand warmers, on low??

whats the stator produce ?...400watts....anyone?.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this for real? How can you compare an electric oil pump to "revolutionizing" a transmission? That's not even the same league. It's comparable to the drag caused by an alternator in a vehicle.

I can see some power being freed up from an electric oil pump, it wouldn't be much or anything useable, but they can make their claim.

Sent from my iPhone
Yea for real if Polaris is able to produce electricity and convert it back to mechanical force more efficiently then a helico gear off the crank it would be a breakthrough in technology. The Smaller the motor and generation unit is the more inefficient the process is. A astute post above correctly stated that there is 746 watts in a one horsepower. it is my contention that for Polaris to produce one HP to a "electronic oil pump" it would consume 746 watts divided by efficiency of 64% = 1166 watts. So even if you use a consumption of 400 watts as was suggested above by another poster which seems realistic. Then the net output of the pump would be 256 watts or .34 of HP. It matters not how the power is supplied alternator or other wise it directly effects the net horsepower of the engine. Maybe the power lose is of little consequence but what irks me is the indefensible statement Polaris makes front and centre of their propaganda regarding power robbing gear driven oil pump and yes if Polaris did figure out how to generate and convert back to motor more efficiently than gear drive we would all be driving electric trucks the technology is the same only the scale changes. I agree we are a ways from that unless of course Polaris has perfect cold fusion at the same time as they built their pump.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Yea for real if Polaris is able to produce electricity and convert it back to mechanical force more efficiently then a helico gear off the crank it would be a breakthrough in technology. The Smaller the motor and generation unit is the more inefficient the process is. A astute post above correctly stated that there is 746 watts in a one horsepower. it is my contention that for Polaris to produce one HP to a "electronic oil pump" it would consume 746 watts divided by efficiency of 64% = 1166 watts. So even if you use a consumption of 400 watts as was suggested above by another poster which seems realistic. Then the net output of the pump would be 256 watts or .34 of HP. It matters not how the power is supplied alternator or other wise it directly effects the net horsepower of the engine. Maybe the power lose is of little consequence but what irks me is the indefensible statement Polaris makes front and centre of their propaganda regarding power robbing gear driven oil pump and yes if Polaris did figure out how to generate and convert back to motor more efficiently than gear drive we would all be driving electric trucks the technology is the same only the scale changes. I agree we are a ways from that unless of course Polaris has perfect cold fusion at the same time as they built their pump.

They said power robbing. They never stated how much. 3/4 HP is still "robbing power". I agree that it's ridiculous, but that's how marketers and marketing work.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with an electric oil pump. It's a better idea so the ecu can deliver more precise oil at different load, rpm, etc.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It is ridiculous marketing but that's their job. Hype it up to get interest over other brands. It.

Sent from my iPhone

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think its also a good idea and really isnt that big of a deal the way they marketed it. They are really just changing mechanical to electrical.
But we still dont know how its controlled. Is it constantly pumping oil?. Does it shut off at times. Moderated by rpm and throttle position.

Someone said it could be a lot like skidoos. Pumping oil based on demand ..rpm etc.

I dont know but whatever it works for skidoo. They use less oil than the pros for sure.

All i know is the marketing is better than skidoos queers in pink and yellow jumpsuits. Dancing around or rubbing shoulders with skidoo tats.

THE ALL NEW KING TAKES THE THRONE

VanceM

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I get it you like Polaris no matter what. Love is blind.

if marketing was a big deal nobody would own a ski doo. if you knew me you wouldnt say that. i like ski doo and will own one again soon enough.

...and that new M8 hmm maybe one of those to they are selling cheeeep

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So be honest...are you saying you don't like the idea of the electronic pump? Or is it just the marketing of it?
Hey the a electric pump with electronic control is probably fine. I know that it is easier then a gear drive to design and install. Keep in mind that oil has been controlled electronically from gear driven pumps for a while. I am not familiar with the new engines (haven't blow one up yet) however I am wondering about the drive for the water pump, most of the engines I have seen use the same drive for oil and water a set up that was simple and reliable in fact I rode with a friend that lost a drive on the pumps and it over heated with out scuffing a pistion. It seems to me that oil pressure on these new engines will be very easy to monitor thru the ECU and should prevent catastrophic failures but reliability we will just have to wait and see. I would prefer a gear driven pump it is simple and reliable. I think cost is probably at the bottom of the decision but I do know that parasitic drag on the engine is not the real answer. Yes the marketing real pi*s me off some dick weed that has never had his hand dirty try to get me to eat bull sh*t I don't like it.

Top Bottom