Avalanche grooming

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Cool. Do you groom with a drag too? I am guessing that the attachment on the back is just for packing behind the groomer?

Yes, the Mogul Master is back in the bush. Kind of hard to back up with that piece of equipment on.

Yes, that is a C-bar. When grooming with just the SnowCat (half of our trail is too steep and tight to get the Mogul Master through), that is what packs the freshly turned over snow. It has soo much drag that we have to lift it just to get back up some of the hills!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What kind of incident report do you have to do when grooming on a avalanche prone trail? Do you have proper signage to stay no stopping or what?? Just asking

Thanks

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard the wcb was going to make clubs that have avalanche prone trails have avvy tech's come in to assess the avvy hazard from time to time. Not sure if this has come into affect yet or not or maybe i am wrong on this. But i thought it was going to made similarto heli skiin where they have to have there area's assessed on a regular basis.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What kind of incident report do you have to do when grooming on a avalanche prone trail? Do you have proper signage to stay no stopping or what?? Just asking

Thanks

I heard the wcb was going to make clubs that have avalanche prone trails have avvy tech's come in to assess the avvy hazard from time to time. Not sure if this has come into affect yet or not or maybe i am wrong on this. But i thought it was going to made similarto heli skiin where they have to have there area's assessed on a regular basis.

Next year the WorkSafeBC thing comes into effect but that is for paid employees only. If people are volunteers then it is not a WorkSafeBC concern. The trail is signed with proper signs and we have the old whip aerials from the mine installed at each slide for probes.

We doo our own evaluation and cautions but chit can happen. We are always monitoring the slides as to which ones have come down, how far they ran, how they compare to our local history, and of course we try to be pro-active with the avi reports. Saying all that, we pushed two slides and on the same aspect there are three more that haven't come down yet? Touchy, yes! Pray, yes! Caution, yes! But the trail needs to be groomed, right!

Top Bottom