Auto/Home Insurance

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
No I have never had a sled claim, but thanks for the info, I’m going to look into this more, The SEF43R, is that the water clause or the full replacement for 24 months???
you need to have an active ASA membership to get the price break, and they do check.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tyler, Call Pam Webber at Dejardins in St. Albert. Use to be State Farm. I've been with them since 93 and they have never given me a reason, to look elsewhere. Make sure to mention me as a referral

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
No I have never had a sled claim, but thanks for the info, I’m going to look into this more, The SEF43R, is that the water clause or the full replacement for 24 months???
Full replacement cost for 24 months with no deprecation, you can get this on a car/truck/van but try to get it on a toy.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
On brand new, we have full replacement for 5 years.

I had it on my 2018 and got what I paid for it in full, when it was written off 3 weeks ago. Wife's Jeep is a 2019 and she still have full replacement for 5 years

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
On brand new, we have full replacement for 5 years.

I had it on my 2018 and got what I paid for it in full, when it was written off 3 weeks ago. Wife's Jeep is a 2019 and she still have full replacement for 5 years
Trashy that would be Replacement Cost Endorsement SEF 18, That can be put on a new purchase of automobiles. What I was trying to get across check to see if your company offers that sef43r on a snowmobile.

Currently all my other policy's are with Peace Hills, except for my company and that's through the same broker but through Beazley Group you want to talk expensive. Buy environmental errors and omission policy.

Tyler, as other posts indicate try to go to a broker or agent with your entire package. And I can say by dealing with insurance companies on a daily basis there are ones that are good and others that are difficult, also depends on what your claim details and if you have an in house or independent adjuster. I only deal with property claims not auto. I see, Cooperators as been always good for acreages, Wawanesa, Intact and Peace hills, Allstate are decent. Others not mentioned I would steer clear from, based on my experiences on property claims over many years of either being a insurance repair contractor and moving over to indoor environmental consultant.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Limited Waiver of Depreciation
(SEF 43)
Replacement Cost Endorsement
(SEF 18)
Available for first 30 months from purchase date Available for first 60 months from purchase date
Provides replacement cost coverageReplaces a new vehicle of similar make and model
Must be the original owner/lessee, and purchased within 3 months of purchase dateMust be the original owner/lessee
Demo vehicles qualify if less than 5,000 kmDemo vehicles qualify if less than 5,000 km
Personal and business use only for private passenger vehiclesPersonal and business use only for private passenger vehicles
Available on certain recreational vehiclesNot available on recreational vehicles
Not available to vehicles with high annual mileageAvailable to vehicles with less than 40,000 km annually
No unrepaired damageNo unrepaired damage

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
My sister inlaw owns the cooperators in Sherwood park (Sherwood Park Agencies) Our policies are very detailed and cover situations other insurers will leave out in order to "get you the best rate" but when the chit hits the fan there are loopholes - We insure 3 vehicles, 3 snowmobiles, travel trailer, acreage (which includes 3 finished buildings and dock liability) 2 boats as well as personal life insurance for the wife and I of $600K. House insurance also identifies big ticket items individually like Arlene's rings, the tractor, zero turn, golf cart etc.

It was eye opening when we sat down with her to go over everything and the different levels of coverage - It's also nice to be able to pick up the phone and talk to someone who knows you and your situation as opposed to a 1-800 call center. And much like Stumpy (Brad with Darson Insurance who is likely another good option) she supports and sponsors ASA & ABSC events.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh. I don’t understand that reasoning, maybe is a broker thing? I recently put my wifes SUV on my policy and its saving us 200 a year over it being on her wamanesa insurance that she had for decades.
Ive had numerous sleds and quads tied into the same policy for years, and its never affected my Auto rates.
Untill u make a claim over a sled and it makes your whole policy go up had same problem with a pontoon was on farm policy it got flipped in storm and raised our rates on whole farm so now we keep toys on seperate policy its dumb but its what we learned

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
My sister inlaw owns the cooperators in Sherwood park (Sherwood Park Agencies) Our policies are very detailed and cover situations other insurers will leave out in order to "get you the best rate" but when the chit hits the fan there are loopholes - We insure 3 vehicles, 3 snowmobiles, travel trailer, acreage (which includes 3 finished buildings and dock liability) 2 boats as well as personal life insurance for the wife and I of $600K. House insurance also identifies big ticket items individually like Arlene's rings, the tractor, zero turn, golf cart etc.

It was eye opening when we sat down with her to go over everything and the different levels of coverage - It's also nice to be able to pick up the phone and talk to someone who knows you and your situation as opposed to a 1-800 call center. And much like Stumpy (Brad with Darson Insurance who is likely another good option) she supports and sponsors ASA & ABSC events.
My broker used to be just like Elaine or Brad..... but then they got bought out, and the old owners have retired, and now they give no F***'s....... I'm fed up.....

Soon as my renewal paperwork shows up (should be here right away) I'll be making some calls.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Comparing BC to AB insurance rates is like comparing apples to oranges. When we came to BC, we only did what he had to with ICBC. All our other insurance was with Canadian Direct/BelAir/Intact. Prices just kept going up and every time the name changed, we had another increase. When we sold our house, Intact wouldn't insure our personal possessions while they were in storage as we didn't have a "house policy" because we didn't have a house. Time to dump Intact and I told them so. Nothing they would do.

Long story short, got some quotes and Western Financial was by far cheaper for the same coverage on the same chit!! It definitely pays to shop around. Another thing to consider is ease of claims and the process that your new insurance company leads you down. You only find that out by asking friends questions and getting ideas from S&M.

Good luck and I am sure you will be diligent and find some savings somewhere Tyler.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Comparing BC to AB insurance rates is like comparing apples to oranges. When we came to BC, we only did what he had to with ICBC. All our other insurance was with Canadian Direct/BelAir/Intact. Prices just kept going up and every time the name changed, we had another increase. When we sold our house, Intact wouldn't insure our personal possessions while they were in storage as we didn't have a "house policy" because we didn't have a house. Time to dump Intact and I told them so. Nothing they would do.

Long story short, got some quotes and Western Financial was by far cheaper for the same coverage on the same chit!! It definitely pays to shop around. Another thing to consider is ease of claims and the process that your new insurance company leads you down. You only find that out by asking friends questions and getting ideas from S&M.

Good luck and I am sure you will be diligent and find some savings somewhere Tyler.
so my broker is Western Financial Group (Spruce Grove). I used to be able to call and they would know me by name, know my family and be super personable...... now I'm trying to call them, and I'm on hold for 10 minutes now, just waiting for an opportunity to speak to a human. It used to be the phone was answered by a person and they truly tried. Now I'm not too sure.

the longer I sit on hold here the more I get frustrated and disappointed.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
so my broker is Western Financial Group (Spruce Grove). I used to be able to call and they would know me by name, know my family and be super personable...... now I'm trying to call them, and I'm on hold for 10 minutes now, just waiting for an opportunity to speak to a human. It used to be the phone was answered by a person and they truly tried. Now I'm not too sure.

15 Minutes on hold, sent to a call center...... they are emailing me copies of my policies as we speak, then just need to camscan the AMA policy that Sara has and I'll send it all off to others to shop for me.

Jobu

Reaction score
Try Desjardins. They specialize in acreages. They brought my overall insurance down by about $2k a year when I switched everything over to them. DM me if you want my brokers info, she's located in Stony Plain.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
15 Minutes on hold, sent to a call center...... they are emailing me copies of my policies as we speak, then just need to camscan the AMA policy that Sara has and I'll send it all off to others to shop for me.
That would suck if you had a fire, sitting on hold when your a total stress case because you just had a fire gets the blood boiling.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I’m in the exact same situation!!
Been dealing at the same “office” for 25yrs… my folks have been there twice that long… the name has changed a few times over the years, but it’s now part of the Western Financial group.

The place has been overrun with incompetence… and a complete lack of “give a ch!t”..!!

I'm currently dealing with an “area Manager”… but have not resolved my issues (she was working from home and I could hear the kids screaming in the background).

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were the same here in Lloyd. Parents dealt with them and I have been for a long time too. Western financial took over and was ok for quite sometime. The like you say incompetent and never talk to same person twice.
Few years ago a broker from Wfg called from Red Deer office and its been great. They will always answer the phone. Direct line.
Yes we have switched people a couple times due to promotions etc. Still get the same level treatment.
My broker from there is actually coming to Lloyd this week to our shop for a meet. Now that restrictions have lifted .

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were the same here in Lloyd. Parents dealt with them and I have been for a long time too. Western financial took over and was ok for quite sometime. The like you say incompetent and never talk to same person twice.
Few years ago a broker from Wfg called from Red Deer office and its been great. They will always answer the phone. Direct line.
Yes we have switched people a couple times due to promotions etc. Still get the same level treatment.
My broker from there is actually coming to Lloyd this week to our shop for a meet. Now that restrictions have lifted .
They don't pay very well so they go through a steady string of people.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
The co-operators agent I talked to came back and said "sorry we can do no better for you"

I've now got my policies with an independent broker and waiting to hear back from her!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
The co-operators agent I talked to came back and said "sorry we can do no better for you"

I've now got my policies with an independent broker and waiting to hear back from her!
I'm surprised by that.....

Top Bottom