ATV Plow Loudness?

libtech

Reaction score
I have a homemade ATV plow, see the photo below. The A frame attaches to the foot pegs to provide lateral stability but there is also a center brace that goes straight to the back of the quad and on to the hitch which is where the pushing force comes from.

Question is, I've never had a plow before and this thing is loud on pavement driveway. The blade was made from piping, cut down to size and is about 52" long. It's heavy stuff.

I do notice on store bought plows there is a seperate peice, a thick band of material that goes along the bottom of the blade. What is that peice made from and does it quiet down the blade?

Or once there is snow on the ground it won't be so loud?

Thanks.

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 1/4" steel plate along the bottom is a sacrificial wear plate, and no it doesn't make it quieter, the skids attached to each end of the plow that keeps the blade from dragging totally on the ground do though.

Most commercial plows are mounted to a bracket bolted to the frame under the engine covering the engine noise, instead of under the footpegs where the sound can be amplified (if you have plastic floorboards) and send the sound up to your ears.

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You won't notice it so much in the winter when pushing snow.

Take a regular snow shovel out now, you'll notice it makes more noise on dry pavement than it does on snow. The snow also muffles the noise as well when pushing.

libtech

Reaction score
So if I put those on how much snow does it typically leave unplowed then assuming it raises the blade off the ground.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wherever you set it. I leave my plow up about 1mm....just so it doesn't hook the sidewalk expansion joints. Sidewalk gets cleaned just beautiful.

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, same here. Up just enough that the wear bar isn't taking all the abuse, takes a little fiddling to get just right. Tried hockey pucks on lag bolts when the skids eventually wore out, don't bother, they came off with rough bumps too easily.

500 King

Reaction score
Same here... leave mine up just a hair, and I have a dirt/rock driveway... and a big one at that. Still makes a lot of noise, but digs in less if the blade is up a hair.

Still, at the end of the plowing season, I have a "bazillion" rocks to get out of the yard before I start mowing. :eek: :d

Top Bottom