Arctic Fox

Les Meat

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm thinking about purchasing an Arctic Fox 996 and am looking for feedback. Is it worth purchasing Arctic Fox? are there any other brands in the same build quality? i have a GM 3500 DRW and was thinking of going with airbags but the camper dealer is suggesting that Torklift's Stableload is the better way to go, does anybody have experience with them?

Thanks

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
They probably have a bigger mark up on the forklift products. By far I recommend air bags. Why else would all the big rigs use them? Loads change, and sometimes your unloaded. Easily deflate the bags, and supply more air for heavier loads. I find my truck rides better with air bags because when you inflate them it takes the weight off the springs and puts it on the bags.

Les Meat

Reaction score
My thought was to go with the airbags, airlines individually run with the wireless controller. Dealer says I may still have sway and porpoising. I have airbags in my '11 GM for the toy hauler and they work great but the camper is definitely a top heavy load. Thanks for your replies

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How heavy is the camper? You may not need anything. Another option is to get a light weight camper. My "new" one is only 1700lbs. Makes my 1 ton ride nice.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
My thought was to go with the airbags, airlines individually run with the wireless controller. Dealer says I may still have sway and porpoising. I have airbags in my '11 GM for the toy hauler and they work great but the camper is definitely a top heavy load. Thanks for your replies
Only way to stop that is with a rear sway bar. Adding the spring modification will do the same as air bags, the left and right side aren't connected. So nothing is stopping the weight transfer. Sway bar will stop it, as the truck leans from the weight of the camper, the side the weight is transferring to will compress, and the sway bar, connected to both sides, will suck the inside tire up, in turn Leveling the truck and stopping the body roll.

Adding an an air bag will stop sway to an extent, as long as you do like you say, individually control the pressures, so the air cannot transfer through the bags.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only way to stop that is with a rear sway bar. Adding the spring modification will do the same as air bags, the left and right side aren't connected. So nothing is stopping the weight transfer. Sway bar will stop it, as the truck leans from the weight of the camper, the side the weight is transferring to will compress, and the sway bar, connected to both sides, will suck the inside tire up, in turn Leveling the truck and stopping the body roll.

Adding an an air bag will stop sway to an extent, as long as you do like you say, individually control the pressures, so the air cannot transfer through the bags.
The truck already have a sway bar in the rear shouldn't it? Or do you mean swap it out for a heavier one?

Reaction score
I have a arctic fox 990 with dodge ram 3500 dually. Air bags (piped separate) wireless remote for air bags, torklift stable loads and torklift tie down system. My truck handles great and I tow boat and sled trailer behind. There is a bit of sway not uncomfortable at all. I am a cautious safety conscious type person. You can find better deals than the torklift stable loads (my mistake) just chucks of rubber. Their tie down system is awesome and wouldn't go any other way (not cheap). Get a rubber truck bed mat for it. Took it to Valemount this christmas, I found it difficult to tell when the road was slippery or when the wind was pushing camper, they create similar sensations while driving. Was my first time driving in those conditions with camper but will do it again.

Reaction score
We are very pleased with our arctic fox 990. They are heavy campers, holds lots of water, generator very handy, fit and finish best in class in my opinion, storage for big items is limited, fox landing excellent, appliances are great, thermostat is crap get rid of it and go digital, tv stereo combo is good (,12v) led lights are awesome? Two things some don't like about Arctic fox is they put their furnances in the slide out and there is no direct heat to the basement where tanks are. Problem with furnances in slide is you are kinda limited to keeping the ducts and vents in the slide as well. No direct heat to bunk area and warm air is drawn from the floor by a fan into the basement area to keep it warm but the furnances has to be on to do so. A simple switch and wiring fixes the no heat in basement without furnances on issue and heat rises into the bunk anyways. Neither was an issue to stop my purchase.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree airbags plus stableloads and good to go. Had them both on my dodge 3500. Just make sure you don't lift the weight off the stable loads with over inflation of the airbags. I found the stable loads worked best with the leaf spring just slightly touching them.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen an 09 GMC dually pull a 16k pound gooseneck trailer with factory suspension and tires. How heavy is this RV trailer that you think you need extra suspension?

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you would be surprised what that trailer really weighs loaded up on a camping trip. Probably a lot closer to 6000lbs than 4000lbs. Arctic Fox is a great trailer/camper, but they are heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Careful how you read the weights on these campers. They are typically base unit weights and do not include accessories such as generators, awnings, batteries, propane etc...then add on what you pack water, BBQ lawn chairs, food, clothes, etc... Arctic fox lists all accessory weights on their website for your info. I weighed my truck loaded and if memory serves me correctly 4876 lbs. then add tongue weight on a 2 ft extension bar for what ever you tow. I believe it is weight X distance to get weight at hitch. (200 lbs X 2 ft is 400 lbs at hitch) and then your axle is probably another 3 ft from there. It gets heavy quick. I used airs bags to minimize leaf spring fatigue. I also believe a lot of the sway I experience is from the tires. There are many from what I have read use a commercial grade tire with stiffer sidewalks.

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have this camper on a f350. The truck is maxed out when loaded with all you need to go camping. Tires have to be able to support the load. Brakes need to handle the total loaded truck??? I would have a got muck bigger truck knowing what I know now. I do not feel safe at all with this truck and load.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guy i know has this camper on a 2009 dodge 3500 dual rear wheel. has airbags. is now getting the stableloads as well as he told me even the dually feels like its maxed out carrying the camper. i think the trick is not over inflating the airbags. people fill them right up to acheive the level look not realizing that it makes the sway way worse. people that think that air bags help with sway are crazy... i know after having both that they make it worse. get the stableloads and the torklift bump stops that make the overloads contact right away when the camper is loaded even after the air bags are inflated. the $600 that the products cost are well worth it in my opionion.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the camper idea, but I'll find something in the lighter category since my unit is a 2500.

I run my whisper Honda ECU 1000 watt generator all night, so a small fan to circulate air will keep all the corners cozy from top to bottom. I open the top vent a little bit to let moister out so every thing is dry in the morning.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly. If the camper hasn't been purchased why not get a light one and not worry about the weight. I was doing 130-140 through California and Oregon easily. I wouldn't want to go back to having something I didn't feel safe in or could rip around with

Top Bottom