APP Alberta Pension Plan

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quebec pension plan gov and media all good…
Alberta proposed pension plan gov and media freaking out…

As much as I’m ok with it, if smith puts its to a referendum I doubt it passes.

I think it will IF the province gets the funds they are claiming. There IMO is a lack of information at the moment, and I am actually unsure what the other Alberta parties are saying. Are they fighting Smith?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
of benefits paid to Albertans and administrative costs, plus associated investment returns.

This is what will get picked apart, lots of people have worked their lives here and retire elsewhere. So Alberta claims the payments to CPP, but not the withdrawal.

IMO fair is fair though, it'll help make up for the net loss Alberta has seen in transfer payments over the years.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't that what is says? benefits paid = withdrawal. or no? It doesn't matter where you live when you withdraw, as long as it was initially in Alberta i would assume. Once withdrawing as an Albertan it stays that way.

I think more clarification is needed as to how they track those things currently.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would assume they track that currently some how but not sure. Knowing govt its where you live when you initially begin withdrawing it.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What if you work in Alberta for 20 years, then 20 years in BC?

Hows that going to work. Sounds like a cluster fk.

Id rather they just pay me a lump some for my payments tomorrow. Then cancel the program all togther.
Too late for us guys that have overpaid a lot of our working days Quite a few years self employed and I had to pay both employer and employee 2 X 3600/per year and couldn't opt out Same as that frikin EI I had to pay but was ineligible to collect.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too late for us guys that have overpaid a lot of our working days Quite a few years self employed and I had to pay both employer and employee 2 X 3600/per year and couldn't opt out Same as that frikin EI I had to pay but was ineligible to collect.

i work for my families company so we pay both also. Tried to opt out of the program years ago and get a check. But no go.

There was a ad on qr77 years ago that said they could get that done, but then they couldnt. Lol

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so glad I am self employed too

That would be great. How do you do that?

Because you are an employee of your families business is probably why.
Get a company (costs about 500 bucks to do it from lawyer) then get family to pay ou as a "consultant" You charge a rate, add 5% GST. That's how service companies in the oilpatch, alongside myself do it.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What if you work in Alberta for 20 years, then 20 years in BC?

Hows that going to work. Sounds like a cluster fk.

Id rather they just pay me a lump some for my payments tomorrow. Then cancel the program all togther.
That's was I did. Roughly 15 years in Alberta with R'Angus/Finning then 20 years in BC with Finning. Took my CPP at 60

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t know why people are so confused about “what happens if I move”….
What a dumb question…
It doesn’t matter where you live when you retire… if you worked in a certain jurisdiction, you will qualify for your share based on the years of service and contributions. If you move, and its a different jurisdiction, you would also qualify for that one, again based on service and contributions. No different than how it is now if you move between Quebec and the rest of Canada.

On a side note…. I would expect the APP in the future will pay better returns than the CPP with identical personal contributions.

Top Bottom