Any 5.9 Cummins guy's on here?

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got an 02 5.9 cummins,that as many of you already know are
famous for not making any heat at sub 0 temps.Any guy's that do
or have previously owned one take the fan off for the winter?
Stupid clutch fan is not locked up but still turning at 80% of crank
speed when the engine is stone cold.I have a chip that has a high
idle feature(not working at the moment)but at minus 20 this thing
can idle all day and still blow cold air.Any thoughts?
Thank's

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got an 02 5.9 cummins,that as many of you already know are
famous for not making any heat at sub 0 temps.Any guy's that do
or have previously owned one take the fan off for the winter?
Stupid clutch fan is not locked up but still turning at 80% of crank
speed when the engine is stone cold.I have a chip that has a high
idle feature(not working at the moment)but at minus 20 this thing
can idle all day and still blow cold air.Any thoughts?
Thank's

Wow I had the 99 and thought it was better and got warmer then my 2012 6.7 I have now. This one is ok if I rev at 1500rpm but if not it stays cold and takes alot longer then my 99 5.9 was. So aguess I am no help, lol

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Belly tarp, cat canvas they work awesome. From rad all the way to the back of the oil pan.

Last edited:

capercal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 and it takes a little while to warm up but when warm you r nice and toasty.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No,thermostat isnt stuck.Yes I have a weather front on it.Clutch fan just pi**'s me off turning all of the time
and the engine is stone cold.Unless you drive it for 5 miles,it can idle all day and you get zero heat.
Temp gauge is always bottomed out.I could belly wrap it or something,but the clutch fan is still gona be blowing
cold air all over.

1100hp

Reaction score
Cut a piece of plexiglass to fit pn between rad and intercooler fits in between perfectly and doesn't affect efficiency of intercooler. Could use cardboard to. But when it gets wet is a pain to get out. Much cleaner look than the brown canvas tarp. JMO

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had several of these trucks and I know what you mean. The best thing I ever done is an exhaust brake it will turn on at an idle and solve the problem even warms the motor up a lot faster in the mornings

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have bubblewarp insulation stuf between the rad and intercooler.Rad is completely
closed off except for a 12" hole in the middle.

maxpower

Reaction score
I have an 03 and it takes a little while to warm up but when warm you r nice and toasty.
I have an 07. No winter front. Takes about 7 mins of driving in -25 to warm up to 75. Won't completely warm up on the -25 days for about 20 minutes or so. I used to put cardboard over the rad on my truck but didn't this year.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
My '06 5.9l had better heat than the '11 6.7l ........ In cold weather i used to cardboard between the rad and intercooler, and the old 5.9l was good, especially with the fast idle kicked in ....... Temperature at idle would only get to 1/4 on -20c or colder days, but when driven would get up to 1/2 ........................ My 2011 6.7l runs at about the same with only the insert winter fronts in, and takes some driving to get it up to 1/2 on the temp guage.

I would seriously look at replacing your thermostat, if the temp guage doesn't move off cold after idling for quite some time. Suspect it is stuck open............ I have heard a few guys pulling the fan off in severe cold days, but it's a lot of work

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless you drive it for 5 miles,it can idle all day and you get zero heat.

It'll never warm up at idle....but then neither does my VW diesel. More of a diesel vs gas thing. Gotta build some rpm to create heat. My 5.9 with a winter front takes a little longer than my 7.3PS did to warm up when driving, but it's good once it gets there. Not good to let it idle for extended periods anyway. Exhaust will coke on the valves and cause problems.

hopper146

Reaction score
I don't know if they still do this but....My friend took his into a dodge dealer and they programmed in a cold start feature....revvved up to about 1400 and alternated dropping cylinders to work the engine......sounded like an old john deere tractor but it warmed up great....lol

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Like mentioned it sounds like your stat is stuck open. The coolant is constantly circulating and nothing is holding back pressure to heat the block. I only have the grill inserts for my 5.9 and at -30 with 0 windchill it takes a good 1/2 hour to warm up to workable temp once on high idle. It will idle up on its own to 1000rpm but I will set it at 1500. I use an extended life antifreeze without any other additives. I have the PH level checked occasionally but have never had any corrosion issues. The engine has just over 3500 hours on it. I'm also a firm believer in warm up time for a diesel :) If you pull out the stat yourself and find it in the closed position, place it in a pot of boiling water to see if it pops open.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 24v takes a long time as well. I only have grille inserts. I need to get the ecm flashed with the high idle and 3 cylinder idle feature. If you do a search on diesel truck resource there is a link to a wiring diagram so you can wire switches to control these features as well. An exhaust brake makes a huge difference.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
my 24v takes a long time as well. I only have grille inserts. I need to get the ecm flashed with the high idle and 3 cylinder idle feature. If you do a search on diesel truck resource there is a link to a wiring diagram so you can wire switches to control these features as well. An exhaust brake makes a huge difference.

yup, i like the factory exhaust brake on my '11 6.7l ....... Does warm up quicker, but sounds like a frickin' jet, when it idles up with the exhaust brake on ;)

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a factory "stealth" rad cover that I'd be willing to sell for cheap. It goes under your hood and works fantastic, truck would actually warm up in -20 :)

Its for a Gen 3 5.9L Cummins but i think it would fit a 6.7 too

Pm me if you're interested

scott 259

Reaction score
If the stat is closed it wont mater if the fan is turning because you have no-flow through the rad. The 5.9 will not make heat at idle, you need 1100 - 1200 rpm minimum and even then with no engine load its slow to build. An easy quick check for your stat, run truck for 15 mins on a high idle, feel the top rad hose, if you have any warmth in the hose you stat leaking by. Cover between rad and inner cooler with aprox 10" hole in center will keep some of the cold ram air from pulling heat away when driving too.Good luck :)

Scott

Top Bottom