Any experienced 2nd gen cummins guy's here?

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just came in to warm up for a bit, I don't understand tests 2,3,and 4 cause there is only 6 wires going to the apps and the diagram shows a 10 pin connector? I prob am just looking at diagram wrong. Awhile ago i started truck and held the throttle so apps voltage was a steady .80 volts truck went from 1000-1800rpm back and forth while voltage was holding steady at .80, in my mind that means the apps is working correctly.The only thing that makes sense to me is the f'n ecm has a cracked solder joint somewhere and that is causing all of the problems.

seen46

Reaction score
Your ECM from your 2001 should work if its a 2001.5. The 2001/2002 24v's are the same except In 2001.5/2002 they deleted the crank position sensor. The oil pressure sender was the same on all 24v's.
Do you know why the ECM was changed twice now? was it for a similar problem? maybe they were just junk Remains.

Click the link for a bigger image

better colored one from an ISB
2l9njx2.jpg

Last edited:

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I changed the ecm last night now codes are gone, truck run's fine but oil preasure gauge
doesn't work and my cruise control light is alway's on.I'll call dodge dealer tomorrow to see
of they can reflash it to my vin. Wasn't it 2000.5 they deleted the crank sensor?
My first ecm said map and AIT sensor's were bad, truck would go limp and have dead pedal.
The Map and AIT share a ground coming from the ecm, so I can only assume that ground
circuit went bad somehow on the board.The second ecm, I can't really remember what exactly
happened.But at the end of the story the ECM was the cause of all of the problem's.
3 ecm's in 6 years, unflippin believable...............
If my alt. is pitting out between .03 and .06 AC volt's maybe that is causing all of these things
to eventually fail?
Ecm's I bought were used off of parted out truck's.

seen46

Reaction score
Gauge cluster light and cruise light, are probably the ECM and PCM not communicating properly, hopefully a re flash specific to your truck fixes that.
Pretty sure it was 2001 they deleted the crank sensor, but wouldn't surprise me if there were some late model 2000's. The reason i say 2001.5 is because i have seen an early 2001 that still had both.
.03 and .06 AC seems normal for the alternator.
Usually the most common reasons why ECM's fail is things like: internal Corrosion and moisture, shorts, voltage spikes, dead battery cells, Grounding issues, static, etc.
3 ECM's for 1 truck is definitely not normal, but sometimes old used ECM's from crashed trucks, and unknown history's are not always a reliable source.
Maybe these ECM's are just crap and as time go's on we will see more of them failing. Maybe it's because as the solder joints age, they form micro cracks with all the hot + cold and vibrations the Cummins makes, and being mounted directly to the engine im sure doesn't help that.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gauge cluster light and cruise light, are probably the ECM and PCM not communicating properly, hopefully a re flash specific to your truck fixes that.
Pretty sure it was 2001 they deleted the crank sensor, but wouldn't surprise me if there were some late model 2000's. The reason i say 2001.5 is because i have seen an early 2001 that still had both.
.03 and .06 AC seems normal for the alternator.
Usually the most common reasons why ECM's fail is things like: internal Corrosion and moisture, shorts, voltage spikes, dead battery cells, Grounding issues, static, etc.
3 ECM's for 1 truck is definitely not normal, but sometimes old used ECM's from crashed trucks, and unknown history's are not always a reliable source.
Maybe these ECM's are just crap and as time go's on we will see more of them failing. Maybe it's because as the solder joints age, they form micro cracks with all the hot + cold and vibrations the Cummins makes, and being mounted directly to the engine im sure doesn't help that.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it very very much. I have read other stories of guy's having a dead oil preasure gauge
using an 01 ecm in a 02. I dont know if its just a software thing or what the reasons are. The cruise light being on all of the
time has me somewhat concerned though.
Do you know if dodge can reflash my ecm through the OBD II or do they plug directly into the 50 pin on the ecm ?
There has to be something in my truck that is eventually frying these ecm's, but I have zero idea what it could be if it's not
ac spikes from the alternator or alt. related.Unless there's some resistance in a wire somewhere that I havent found, and because of that resistance the ecm is having to output more amp's to get the data or voltage through. That extra amperage is burning out weak spot's in the boards?
I'm grasping at straw's but this is ecm#4 for this dam truck.

seen46

Reaction score
There DRBIII tool works through the OBD port, so you will need to bring the truck in. If that doesn't work get them to re flash and reset the PCM, it shouldn't cost anymore.
You could replace the ECM harness, but they cost about 1100. And that's a lot of $$ for a guess. Really there's only so much it could be. But the fact your truck seems to kill them slowly and not right away, makes it the much harder to diagnose. And check your big ground cable connected to the engine block, take it off and clean the rust between the two surfaces. And check for voltage drop through the cable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom