Aluminum vs. Fiberglass travel trailer...pros/cons

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
I'm looking at purchasing a smaller sized toy hauler travel trailer [preferably new, I've never owned one].
Wife has her eyes on the 2020 Grey Wolf 25RRT.
It has fairly large windows, a somewhat decent kitchen and a bed she can walk around not crawl over.
yeahs or nays, Aluminum vs Fiberglass. I know that some of these things aren't built the best at times [sticks and staples as they put it].
Thanks.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have had both.

I find fibreglass easier to clean

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fibre glass all the way. Easier to clean, wont get hail dents and holds value better

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ATC company does have some pretty innovative stuff, not sure if most would pay those prices.

Couch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fibreglass will sweat less and less susceptible to dings ...of course assuming its properly built ...gel coat will oxidize over time but keeping an occasional coat of wax on it will help.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fiberglass. But I also wouldn't let that deter me from buying the unit I wanted. If there were more reasons to buy the trailer with aluminum siding I'd still be happy with that.

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

"ATC company does have some pretty innovative stuff, not sure if most would pay those prices."
Holly crap they are pricey

"Fiberglass. But I also wouldn't let that deter me from buying the unit I wanted. If there were more reasons to buy the trailer with aluminum siding I'd still be happy with that."
Yes I agree, just asking questions.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
everyone has their opinions so here is mine. I have talked with a trailer repair company many times and both the owner and his son says to get a soft wall. they say all the trailers are junk but some are more junkier than the others. If you need to repair the wall on a soft wall is easy to do. On a hardwall its tons of work which means tons of cost. If you decide on a hardwall then there is a stucture product that some of the builders buy. I think its called astek or or something like that

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fiberglass with a rubber roof and plastic skirting along the bottom. This combination is most resistant to normal wear and tear and reasonably sized hail although the roof vents are definitely a weak point so a Maxx Cap or similar over those can be helpful. You will get a discount on insurance for the trailer.

Aluminum siding and the metal skirting around the bottom are very easily damaged by almost anything making contact.

Having said that, if you have a good covered storage area and look after it, the aluminum covered units can last quite long. Looks like a nice unit.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Alberta there is no option. You go fibreglass or expect hail damage. The only way I would do aluminum again is if I was to buy one with hail damage already at a price I couldn't refuse.

Jobu

Reaction score
I own this exact trailer but the 5th wheel version, bought brand new two years ago. I would suggest staying away from Forest River anything. DM me for a phone number, too may nightmare stories to type.

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks All!
Wow you guys get that much hail and damage to boot? I never had any thing damaged by hail...but something to consider.
Yes, for the money these thing cost they aren't very well built...unless you spend astronomical money and still no guarantees.
Friend of a friend sells used trailers, I've looked at quite a few different travel trailers that have come in for rot, damage, poor workmanship etc...no small toy haulers, only a tri-axle 5th wheel.
Some people don't look after these things very well.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes we can get a bit of hail in Alberta from time to time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg3xrXpgDQc

Generally speaking, hard sided trailers are less likely to have leaks and such but none seem to be built real well. If not stored under cover, the deterioration begins as soon as it gets home....or to the storage yard. Many people do not do much maintenance either and a small leak quickly turns into a big problem.

Happy shopping

Thanks All!
Wow you guys get that much hail and damage to boot? I never had any thing damaged by hail...but something to consider.
Yes, for the money these thing cost they aren't very well built...unless you spend astronomical money and still no guarantees.
Friend of a friend sells used trailers, I've looked at quite a few different travel trailers that have come in for rot, damage, poor workmanship etc...no small toy haulers, only a tri-axle 5th wheel.
Some people don't look after these things very well.

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a tin keystone hornet and just bought this one on Friday and never going back to tin that's for sure!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I had a tin keystone hornet and just bought this one on Friday and never going back to tin that's for sure!

were you fuelling up at the Shell on Century Road just off Yellowhead between 730 and 8 this morning? if so I saw you on my way to take the boy to dayhome.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As said earlier if the hardwall delaminates it's pretty much done or a very expensive repair. Tin walls you can actually pull apart and fix yourself. Other than that the hardwall is nicer in every way.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I like our hardwall, but I also like my aluminum wall...... the aluminum wall allows me to repair it or increase insulation easily, the hardwall does not, the hardwall washes up nicer, and seems to be quieter inside than the aluminum wall, hardwall withstood a good hail storm last year, I don't know how my aluminum wall would have faired.......

Top Bottom