Advice on buying open trailer

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to buy a 2 place triton trailer to use for hauling our side by side and sleds.

Mainly debating between getting the drive on drive off, or a tilt. Has anyone had either one and wished they had the other? Im leaning towards the drive on/drive off with a ramp extension for the width of the side by side.

Also wondering if moisture ever builds up under superglides and causes premature wood rot?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

maxpower

Reaction score
i have a triton 12ft + v nose, i don't have superglides or anything and they are light enough to transport around the yard by hand which is nice. Only thing i might ever give it up for is a sled deck.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a triton 12ft + v nose, i don't have superglides or anything and they are light enough to transport around the yard by hand which is nice. Only thing i might ever give it up for is a sled deck.

I should have talked to you before selling my sled deck then! I had a marathon deck with telescopic sides and ramp and absolutely loved it. Only reason I sold it was to get a trailer so I could haul my side by side as well as sleds. Plus we are only 25 minutes from our riding area. Loved my sled deck for trips to the hills when I lived in Edmonton.

Have you had any experience with a tilt deck trailer?

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 12 +2 Newman's Sledbed trailer with super glides. The super glides have stand off's under them so they don't sit flat on the wood (it leaves an air gap) so the wood "shouldn't" rot. I just put the glides on a month ago and this was a concern of mine as well.
I have never had a tilt so can't comment. My trailer is a little higher than most (by about 4")and it's pretty steep coming off. That is my only concern with my trailer.
The reason my trailer is higher is it is supposed to have the 8" wheels but has been upgraded to the 15". The problem with that is the turkeys didn't upgrade the brakes so I don't have a lot of braking power on the trailer......... Not an issue with the sleds but will be with the car on the deck.

7f9065ea.jpg

IMG-20121108-00121_zpse1176965.jpg

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought the Triton 10' tilt last week. Used it for three days of riding and trailering and it was great. Even use it as a ramp to load a third sled into the truck box. Previous to this I had a 10' ramp trailer. The tilts have very light tongue weight, which is great for towing with smaller vehicles and moving around trailer by hand - less good if you want to haul heavy loads (like quads or sideXside).

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a home made tilt trailer. I really like it. No salty, muddy slushy ramps to mess with. Only thing, with a side by side, you have to be careful about balance. and you should have a good tongue weight, or the trailer can fishtail. Too much weight on the tilt and you might not be able to tip it forward or back...

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 12 +2 Newman's Sledbed trailer with super glides. The super glides have stand off's under them so they don't sit flat on the wood (it leaves an air gap) so the wood "shouldn't" rot. I just put the glides on a month ago and this was a concern of mine as well.
I have never had a tilt so can't comment. My trailer is a little higher than most (by about 4")and it's pretty steep coming off. That is my only concern with my trailer.
The reason my trailer is higher is it is supposed to have the 8" wheels but has been upgraded to the 15". The problem with that is the turkeys didn't upgrade the brakes so I don't have a lot of braking power on the trailer......... Not an issue with the sleds but will be with the car on the deck.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/HHighfly/Snowmobile/7f9065ea.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b267/HHighfly/Snowmobile/IMG-20121108-00121_zpse1176965.jpg

What do you mean by car on deck? Are you planning on hauling a car on that thing?

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a drive on drive off. My old man had tilts when I was younger and they suck IMO. If its slippery it's hard to get high enough to tilt it down, and once you have a sled on there already it's awkward to use either way.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive had a tilter for years and its great,the only downfall may be if u got one in ur truck and 2 on the trailer then u have to jack knife it to un load the one out of the truck..its no a issue with mine as my tongue on the trailer is long enough to do this,

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had both. Each have super glides and a 2' high shield in the front.
The drive on/off was steel, so a bit heavier, with a 2000 axle. The steel had a tendency to rust, so had to touch up the paint every year. Higher off the ground. Only pain was taking the front shield off every time we unloaded. Axle had a tendency to bow, 2 sleds and the trailer weight, it was maxed out. 3500# axle would have been better. And make sure to lock the ramp, someone was nice enough to steal mine, while it was parked in the staging area.
Now have a Featherlite tilt with a 2200# torsion style axle. Way lighter, easy to move by hand, and less weight to pull behind vehicle. No rust and paint. After several years still looks new. The only problem was loading, the sled would like to slide backwards on the plywood when on the upslope. Put track grippers on deck and solved problem. Easy to load 2 sleds by myself.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by car on deck? Are you planning on hauling a car on that thing?

Yes, it's not much of a car.... it's 1600lbs. Too heavy for a single axle sled trailer but perfect for a tandem.

IMG_1858_zpscf869567.jpg

Jasonschaaf

Reaction score
I had a triton tilt and hated it putting two sleds on it was painful had to buy super glides to keep the sleds up when it was iced up and the quad when the deck was wet.picked up a triton 12' v nose drive on and off love it when we go up with three of us we us the ramp to load the third sled on the truck and unload it piece o cake .

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a drive on/off sport club galvanized trailer. Have to say I'm very happy with it. Tows very nice.

ScottRod

Reaction score
I have a Triton 101"x20" with tandem axles, electric brakes, store under ramp, an ramp extensions for my SxS. I love it. I highly recommend Triton.

After having a triton trailer I think I'm going to make my next trailer a triton as well. It's much nicer quality than my last trailer.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
K. I think Im leaning towards the drive on/drive off. Any thoughts on 10' vs 12'? I think I would be fine with a 10', but wondering if 12' would be worth it for how much extra it is. Might be better for resale?

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
K. I think Im leaning towards the drive on/drive off. Any thoughts on 10' vs 12'? I think I would be fine with a 10', but wondering if 12' would be worth it for how much extra it is. Might be better for resale?

I went the 10+2 (10 feet +2 foot V nose) and love it. You can walk around the back of the machine with out falling off, lots of room and the 2 extra feet for towing isn't noticeable at all. Not sure what the extra cost is but I'd buy another one the same if I did it again. Always nice to have extra deck space IMO.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two place Triton tilt deck its done very well but I should have bought v nose or quit been cheap and bought a nose cone and now I have 8' sled deck as well now we haul 4 sled or quads with ease make going to the mountains a little cheaper splitting cost 4 ways

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a SWS 12' and my 153 used to hang off a couple inches....I wouldn't go less than 12'. Haven't put my 162 on it yet.

Top Bottom