Abandoned Rail Line ownership

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Rail line owneership??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question??

After C.P. or C.N. abandon a rail line right of way,,,,Who owns the land after the rails and ties are gone??Does it go to the farmer who owns the land beside it or is it still owned by the rail company??Or does it go back to the Government??

Crow22

Reaction score
For the abandoned rail line east of Stettler to the border, I believe the company that owned it just gave the land back to the local countys. Who would buy any land 100' wide by 200 miles long right beside a highway with a road cutting crossing it every mile? I think you are asking because you are wondering if you can ride on it, & yes we do. Not much fun but at least we are not on the highway.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
For the abandoned rail line east of Stettler to the border, I believe the company that owned it just gave the land back to the local countys. Who would buy any land 100' wide by 200 miles long right beside a highway with a road cutting crossing it every mile? I think you are asking because you are wondering if you can ride on it, & yes we do. Not much fun but at least we are not on the highway.

Thats exactly why i was asking...

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it depends on where it is... i worked survey for awhile and we've had to profile crossings that have no rails just cause the rail company owns them still. but i've also seen parts where the l/o has bought it back. each case is different...

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
it depends on where it is... i worked survey for awhile and we've had to profile crossings that have no rails just cause the rail company owns them still. but i've also seen parts where the l/o has bought it back. each case is different...

CN/CP was selling some hwy parcells out by viking/bruce/tofield at one time. Back when I was land surveying we had to do some reclamation surveys and subdivide the leases for sales...

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the abandon rail bed from Wasketnea to Cold Lake is owned by Municor It is deemed to be a multi-use trail.

han solo

Reaction score
Guy @ work got a $300 fine for riding on railbed around the Marwayne area, northwest of LLoydminster.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know some of the farmers that have been getting very frustrated with the people that are using the old rail system that runs from Lloydminster to Marwayne. There are signs at pretty much every road crossing that say "No Tresspassing" and "Contact the railway for access", but guys still love to jump on their sleds and quads, and blow right past those signs. Then they come up to an area where there are fences across the railway that the farmers have put up with the permission of the railway, and the guys cut the fence, and cows get out. If this keeps up, there is going to be less hesitation for the government and police to start cracking down on OHV use, and we don't need that. We have enough restrictions already. My recommendation.... If you are unsure, contact your local RCMP. They will either tell you yes or know, or direct you to who will be able to answer the question accurately. Just my 2 cents.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I haven't got a hold of anyone yet..But I will ....I didn't see any "No Tresspassing " signs..A call to the county is in order when i get time

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Guy @ work got a $300 fine for riding on railbed around the Marwayne area, northwest of LLoydminster.

Was your friend on An abandoned line? ..C.P. has there own police...(In case no one knew that) and if your on their tracks or right of way your in deep trouble..not to mention kinda stupid!!

han solo

Reaction score
Not sure on the whole story, pretty sure its CP Rail, but it was local RCMP. Heard that farmer got the key out of 1 of the quads, roared back to his yard with front end loader, loaded the quad up. Being a farm kid, I say good job to the farmer. Its not your land, you dont pay taxes, stay the hell off it. Yes there is signs posted everwhere. I have 0 issues if somebody asks, I bet no city person would like it if I came into there house/yard/etc cause its not mine. People have 0 respect for other peoples belongings. The RCMP must know its an big issue up there, cause they showed up right away & fined all involved, the quaders. No its not really right of the farmer taking the quad away.

Top Bottom