99 smt x - 144 + my options

truepenhead

Reaction score
i have a 99 smt x and im planning to put on a 144 inch track and i've done some research and i'm hearing more and more that instead of getting a longer skid it's more beneficial if a guy was to just move his 136 inch skid back 4 inches? is this true has anyone tried both and know any results? im being told that it's a way better setup and you track attack angle is much stronger.

Thanks

tal

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Ya, just put the 151" on and use rail extensions, then put the tunnel extension on and longer rear bumper for support, and rear lift brackets............ Easy weekend project and looks great too!!! GO WITH THE 2" TRACK AND USE 1 TOOTH SMALLER EXTROVERT DRIVERS.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, just put the 151" on and use rail extensions, then put the tunnel extension on and longer rear bumper for support, and rear lift brackets............ Easy weekend project and looks great too!!! GO WITH THE 2" TRACK AND USE 1 TOOTH SMALLER EXTROVERT DRIVERS.

Or, kinetic makes a drop & roll kit that will allow you to use 9 tooth extrovert drivers with a 2" track. You can run the track looser than the 8 tooth drivers without ratcheting. Cost of said kit is about $150 - will take you a few hours to install. Moving the skid back helps the approach angle a bunce, but will come with added ski pressure - you may want to go to a slightly heavier spring in the front arm to help alleviate this. One thing to consider - if you can find a skid from a 2000 - 2001 144" Summit, once you move the skid back the 4.5", you'll have a 151, with more strength added from a one piece rail - the best of both worlds. Use a drop bracket in the rear - you have to move the rear mount back anyway - the added clearance is beneficial.

truepenhead

Reaction score
perfect. ill tell ya what i got. i had origionaly ordered a 144inch skid of a 2001 summit and the guy sent me a 121inch skid with rail extentions at first i was pretty pissed but after doin some reasercha nd some negotiating in price i decided to keep the skid and just move it back. the bonus part is that the 121 inch skid the holes are 4 inches closer together so my rear mounting bracket wont have to be moved at all just the front. which will provide alot of support. thanks for the thoughts. i like the idea of 151 inch track but just not in the budget.

thanks tal

Top Bottom