98 formula z 670 eating plugs hlp pls

captain

Reaction score
my 670 fowls the clutch side plug every half hour of riding.
i thought it might be the coil so i put a new one on .
that didnt help at all. i took the carbs off .they were nice and clean.
i burn regular fuel . i dont think thats it because its always the same plug. and it has a primer button not a choke cable.

any help will be apreciated:)

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it jetted properly for temp,also plug gap should be 18 thou:d:d

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i thought it might be the coil so i put a new one on .
that didnt help at all. i took the carbs off .they were nice and clean.
i burn regular fuel . i dont think thats it because its always the same plug. and it has a primer button not a choke cable.

any help will be apreciated:)

Oil fouled? What heat range of plugs? Oil pump could be out of adjustment.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I thought it might be the coil so i put a new one on .
That didnt help at all. I took the carbs off .they were nice and clean.
I burn regular fuel . I dont think thats it because its always the same plug. And it has a primer button not a choke cable.

Any help will be apreciated:)

clutch side runs hotter and the jet in that carbueretor should be 1 size bigger than the other side..... Have you checked the compression of the motor? What kind of plugs you running? Are the rave seals okay?

Reaction score
clutch side runs hotter and the jet in that carbueretor should be 1 size bigger than the other side.....

I know that for the most part they claim thats common knowledge but on at least 3 modified rotary valve motors including mine , I've found that at best the clutch side was par or even a tad cooler than mag side.. I also noticed an even bigger differance when i put the P-85 pri. on , further removing heat from that clutch side.. With twins etc , I no longer stagger my mains and everything looks and works like she's sposed to... 02cents.
:beer:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i know that for the most part they claim thats common knowledge but on at least 3 modified rotary valve motors including mine , i've found that at best the clutch side was par or even a tad cooler than mag side.. I also noticed an even bigger differance when i put the p-85 pri. On , further removing heat from that clutch side.. With twins etc , i no longer stagger my mains and everything looks and works like she's sposed to... 02cents.
:beer:

yup, but for stockers that is the rule of thumb.... Thanks oilpatchboys4!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup, but for stockers that is the rule of thumb.... Thanks oilpatchboys4!

You're right Ric and the high altitude manual shows 2 jet sizes difference as well, but like OPB's-4, my Jaws twins like the same jetting on PTO and MAG sides. MAG sometimes likes it 1 size smaller in the warmer weather and only down around 220 or 230, if I'm running 250 mains or above they like to be the same. This is at least how it looked based on the plugs and piston wash anyway.

97summit

Reaction score
Dads 583 just had the same problem. ( clutch side was flooding) Replaced the plug cap and all is good now.

Doo800ho

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 98 z 670 @ 4000' pto 260 mag 240 good for -20c @ -10c pto 250 mag 230 for stock set-up. hope this helps.

Top Bottom