2025 Are you ready?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am curious what the holdup is for the cat and the doo buddy tracking is, CRTC maybe? Cost on the manufacture end for a encrypted radio license just for mountain guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cat has it because they are using garmin. But apparently the frequency they are using has issues in Canada. But in the US the new cats will be able to buddy track each other. Not sure if it will pick up the Polaris however

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CRTC ruins all kind of tech in Canada
queens arm on us peasants
I had american gamins for years much better than canada version
It's ISED (formerly Industry Canada) that regulates radio frequency in Canada (and usually holds things up). In this case they are the reason the Garmin system on the cat isn't available here. There was a motion a few years back to open up that part of the spectrum to match the US regulations, but they basically said it was too much work to do with too little benefit. It would require any commercial license holder in that band to reengineer their filter systems to move to a new frequency allocation.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My self, not a big fan of this type of tech. on a sled. Basically not sold on it unless someone can convince me otherwise. I understand the idea of knowing where your buddy is, but the question is "HOW COME YOU NEED THAT TYPE OF TECH TO RIDE WITH YOUR PARTNER". NO tech can beat visual.
I have been sledding for well over 40/45yrs, all I see in this tech is taking sledders back to poor judgement and complacent actions that will lead to bad mountain etiquette.
Hell, I see that already in riders with out it.

So you can see your friend on a screen, but how would you know he's OK, maybe for the last 3-4mins he has been pinned under his sled with his head in a creek. Your not there with any visual, but hey you can see him on a screen.
Mountains rules are simple, riders ride in pair with visual contact at all times, break that rule and you may have a real bad day.
Relying on tech. makes for bad outdoors skills, for sledders, bad riding etiquette.
Cool to have it, but it ain't going to make you wiser when your not.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your wrong the new ones are way bigger and almost take up the whole window

Do you think the ones one the sleds at Club BRP are the old version still? Multiple shots showing them what appear to be the same as the current sleds. Definitely not taking up the whole window. Do you have any more info/pics to share?

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 9.34.19 PM.png

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My self, not a big fan of this type of tech. on a sled. Basically not sold on it unless someone can convince me otherwise. I understand the idea of knowing where your buddy is, but the question is "HOW COME YOU NEED THAT TYPE OF TECH TO RIDE WITH YOUR PARTNER". NO tech can beat visual.
I have been sledding for well over 40/45yrs, all I see in this tech is taking sledders back to poor judgement and complacent actions that will lead to bad mountain etiquette.
Hell, I see that already in riders with out it.

So you can see your friend on a screen, but how would you know he's OK, maybe for the last 3-4mins he has been pinned under his sled with his head in a creek. Your not there with any visual, but hey you can see him on a screen.
Mountains rules are simple, riders ride in pair with visual contact at all times, break that rule and you may have a real bad day.
Relying on tech. makes for bad outdoors skills, for sledders, bad riding etiquette.
Cool to have it, but it ain't going to make you wiser when your not.

All this post means is that you are out of touch with the type of riding people are doing these days. In the steep dense forest you can try as hard as you want to always have eyes on someone but it only takes 30 seconds to be completely separated on these new sleds and disorientated from where your riding buddies might be. These gauges help you get back to them in short order. You can also tell if they are moving, if they are, no worries, if they aren’t you probably want to start working your way towards them. What if there is 6 of you? You expect to have eyes on everyone when you can’t see 20 feet in front of your face because the foliage is so thick? It’s not causing anyone to be complacent, in fact quite the opposite. Until you’ve seen it in action with a group setting in extremely technical terrain your really just making an assumption based on what you knew 45 years ago.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When ur "technical tree" riding on 90 degree slopes with trees spaced 6 inches flipping the sled over backward no time for buddies I guess.

Thats how everyone ride now. Yep....

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All this post means is that you are out of touch with the type of riding people are doing these days. In the steep dense forest you can try as hard as you want to always have eyes on someone but it only takes 30 seconds to be completely separated on these new sleds and disorientated from where your riding buddies might be. These gauges help you get back to them in short order. You can also tell if they are moving, if they are, no worries, if they aren’t you probably want to start working your way towards them. What if there is 6 of you? You expect to have eyes on everyone when you can’t see 20 feet in front of your face because the foliage is so thick? It’s not causing anyone to be complacent, in fact quite the opposite. Until you’ve seen it in action with a group setting in extremely technical terrain your really just making an assumption based on what you knew 45 years ago.

I think you missed some of what I meant. Quick to skim over the post and judge as a keyboard jokey. PAIRS was in there, being you missed it.
Like lilduke said 90deg slopes with 6" tree spacing in the jungle is what everyone doing so screw visuals LOL. Ya everybody does that, like the Youtubers.
You have lots to learn, I maybe an old fauck according to you from years back but I certainly appreciated my partner when I needed a hand, he was there within minutes and not checking out a screen to see if I was moving or not.
Anyhow, not apposed, just expressing a concern, but hey I just upgraded from bogie wheels to sliders recently.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you missed some of what I meant. Quick to skim over the post and judge as a keyboard jokey. PAIRS was in there, being you missed it.
Like lilduke said 90deg slopes with 6" tree spacing in the jungle is what everyone doing so screw visuals LOL. Ya everybody does that, like the Youtubers.
You have lots to learn, I maybe an old fauck according to you from years back but I certainly appreciated my partner when I needed a hand, he was there within minutes and not checking out a screen to see if I was moving or not.
Anyhow, not apposed, just expressing a concern, but hey I just upgraded from bogie wheels to sliders recently.

I agree, its a great tool. But keep an eye on your partner. If they cant follow your sick lines find a better partner.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, its a great tool. But keep an eye on your partner. If they cant follow your sick lines find a better partner.
Exactly, the amount of riders means nothing, 2 or 100, doesn't matter.
PAIR UP for the day, communicate with your partner and know each others skill set and have each others back all day.
If it doesn't work out, change partner next go round.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly, the amount of riders means nothing, 2 or 100, doesn't matter.
PAIR UP for the day, communicate with your partner and know each others skill set and have each others back all day.
If it doesn't work out, change partner next go round.
You might as well save your breath…
Maxwell the “bar star” obviously doesn’t understand what you’re talking about…

I think more to your point…
These sleds nowadays are wicked…
They’re amazing in the hands of raw talent…

They are also killers in the hands of said talent that is fkn’ stupid and really don’t understand the risks they are taking. When you take a gamble on a line, and think “its ok if I don’t make it… my buddies will come find/help me”… that’s when you are at the most risk. Riders are too reliant on these features thinking they’re safety features… when they are really NOT!!! Too many watchers of YouTube that can’t back it up with skills and SMARTS.

Lund - I’m going out on a limb here to say that when you started riding… there was no such thing as S&R…. Nobody was coming to save you… and you probably still ride that way..?! Just like the buddy tracking… cool yes… but in no way a replacement for smart & responsible backcountry etiquette…

Top Bottom