2014 pro 800

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok maybe a turbo for 14 is a little too much to ask. However, if you look at what the aftermarket has done with turbo and fuel mapping, it's def possible. A 150hp eng, with a low boost application. Say 6 lbs boost. Some sort of auto tune fuel map, (which is almost perfected) and no other way to mess with it. Poo able for sure.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok maybe a turbo for 14 is a little too much to ask. However, if you look at what the aftermarket has done with turbo and fuel mapping, it's def possible. A 150hp eng, with a low boost application. Say 6 lbs boost. Some sort of auto tune fuel map, (which is almost perfected) and no other way to mess with it. Poo able for sure.
I don't think any oem will build a turbo 2-stroke for quite a few years. I think you might see slightly larger displacement or a switch back to three cylinders. I had a good chat with the guys at rotax and they will tell you once over 400 cc per cylinder realiability gets tougher. Polaris is in a bit of a tough spot as they do not have the rights to etec technology so will have to design something similar or make a deal like they did with rer. At any rate these new light sleds are impressive and work very well from both manufactures.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think any oem will build a turbo 2-stroke for quite a few years. I think you might see slightly larger displacement or a switch back to three cylinders. I had a good chat with the guys at rotax and they will tell you once over 400 cc per cylinder realiability gets tougher. Polaris is in a bit of a tough spot as they do not have the rights to etec technology so will have to design something similar or make a deal like they did with rer. At any rate these new light sleds are impressive and work very well from both manufactures.

I for one am a huge triple fan and if they build one I will be trading in a heartbeat, as for wish list I would say a nice 800 or smaller triple with DI and a supercharger, that way you could keep the single pipe and keep the weight down and with DI the back-pressure issue in my mind would be less issue because you would not have to worry about losing any fuel charge out the exhaust. Set it up for an honest 200hp on pump gas which would be WAY under it's capabilities and you would have a pretty sweet ride. That is about the ONLY way I would take a weight penalty, if they put a 4 stroke tank in it I will keep my 800 till they stop making parts for it. I have ZERO interest in riding a 4 stroke snowmobile but thats just me.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I for one am a huge triple fan and if they build one I will be trading in a heartbeat, as for wish list I would say a nice 800 or smaller triple with DI and a supercharger, that way you could keep the single pipe and keep the weight down and with DI the back-pressure issue in my mind would be less issue because you would not have to worry about losing any fuel charge out the exhaust. Set it up for an honest 200hp on pump gas which would be WAY under it's capabilities and you would have a pretty sweet ride. That is about the ONLY way I would take a weight penalty, if they put a 4 stroke tank in it I will keep my 800 till they stop making parts for it. I have ZERO interest in riding a 4 stroke snowmobile but thats just me.
A new light weight triple 200ish hp!!You do not know how long Ive been saying that!

Toro

Reaction score
I agree completely, I have switched between BRP and Polaris over the years, I had a 2007 Dragon (was exceptionally reliable and a great ride) sold it last December after my dealer gave me a 2013 Mountain demo for the weekend and I decided I would snow check. Then I heard that POO made 20+/- engineering changes to the sled, please tell me how in a matter of a couple of months do you make those changes and field test them!!??.....easy!! You don't!! Just let the poor slob consumer field test them!! So this year I switched back to BRP dialed it down bait and I will sit with my reliable sled and watch what happens!! When I spend $14-15K I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a reliable sled!! My buddy snow checked and his 13 POO has been recalled.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
polaris could make a deal with mercury on its Optimax technology. Doubt brp will give up their ficht technology from evenrude, which is now etec.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never, never will you see a triple in a factory sled, unless it's a 4 stroke.

There are reasons they don't do it now: Weight, size, rotating mass, COST...

Sure, they are sweet sounding, and can produce lots of ponies/cc, but there would be a sacrifice..

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never, never will you see a triple in a factory sled, unless it's a 4 stroke.

There are reasons they don't do it now: Weight, size, rotating mass, COST...

Sure, they are sweet sounding, and can produce lots of ponies/cc, but there would be a sacrifice..
Cuso this is where we will disagree! The extra jug crank wheel and rod is minimal cost for any engine manufacture. The problem lies in pipes with these tight chassis! Like was mentioned before if they can get enough power from a single pipe version the reliability will go way up. I weighed the 809 and it was 10 lbs heavier than 800 twin ? That's minimal engine to engine? The extra two pipes account for some weight. The smoother pulses on triple engines are way easier on the whole machine. The first oem who designs the new light triples is going to re-invent sledding and will sell a ton.I just sold a 600 triple sled that makes short work of most 800cc sleds? It starts with a flick of rope and runs very consistent for a carbed sled. I cannot beleive what etec would do to this motor??we had a 809 in a Zx chassis and it weighed 574 full of fuel??My new xm is 540 not as much as one would guess?

Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I saw a picture of a triple and a twin motor on scales side by side. I'm gonna have to dig it up/

According to BRP's website, the grande touring triple 796 (809) weighed in at 614 lbs. and the grande touring in a 700 twin came in at 560 lbs.
That's 54 lbs different. I am willing to bet that the 800 is closer to the 700's weight than the triple.

Re-tooling, extra injector, intake, piston, cylinder & head, I would be conservative with 30 lbs. more.

The sled would handle like a dog too, because of the further apart flywheel to clutch distance, creating a stronger gyro effect. (rotating mass)
If it were a better way to go, you definitely would see it in today's sleds. I am sure they have experimented with it... Not gonna happen mister....:rolleyes:

Cuso this is where we will disagree! The extra jug crank wheel and rod is minimal cost for any engine manufacture. The problem lies in pipes with these tight chassis! Like was mentioned before if they can get enough power from a single pipe version the reliability will go way up. I weighed the 809 and it was 10 lbs heavier than 800 twin ? That's minimal engine to engine? The extra two pipes account for some weight. The smoother pulses on triple engines are way easier on the whole machine. The first oem who designs the new light triples is going to re-invent sledding and will sell a ton.I just sold a 600 triple sled that makes short work of most 800cc sleds? It starts with a flick of rope and runs very consistent for a carbed sled. I cannot beleive what etec would do to this motor??we had a 809 in a Zx chassis and it weighed 574 full of fuel??My new xm is 540 not as much as one would guess?

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I saw a picture of a triple and a twin motor on scales side by side. I'm gonna have to dig it up/

According to BRP's website, the grande touring triple 796 (809) weighed in at 614 lbs. and the grande touring in a 700 twin came in at 560 lbs.
That's 54 lbs different. I am willing to bet that the 800 is closer to the 700's weight than the triple.

Re-tooling, extra injector, intake, piston, cylinder & head, I would be conservative with 30 lbs. more.

The sled would handle like a dog too, because of the further apart flywheel to clutch distance, creating a stronger gyro effect. (rotating mass)
If it were a better way to go, you definitely would see it in today's sleds. I am sure they have experimented with it... Not gonna happen mister....:rolleyes:
Well the grand touring 700 was a triple? The only gt twin up until recently was the old 670. And now the 800s? What's all this talk about gyro? I've run triples for years never felt any of it? Do you honestly think with the tec these manufactures have they couldn't get the weight of a specific built triple equal to the twins? The aftermarket has been doing it for years?We have twins because the oems did a poor job with weight in the early sleds. Hell the pipes weighed in over 25lbs not counting the suitcase.Like I said I had a Zx triple within 40 lbs of my new wiz bang 13 twin and the chassis is 13 years old? Then after riding 670 summits with around 120hp in 100 pound lighter chassis that was the nail in coffin! The manufacture will build what ever is easiest less cost and what ever the consumer will put up with! That's why we are on twins! They do not last longer, do not make more power cc to cc and we the consumer don't demand otherwise yet. It's like the 4-stroke fad? I see it fading already cause no one likes the weight and the repair bill when the 4 blows up and they do! When the big twins reliability gets worse from bigger displacement the oem that goes to a light weight triple will sell big time I can guarantee you. I have talked to a ton of guys who cannot wait to see that happen!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: cs5

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4 stroke fad? I'm afraid it's alive and well in the non mountain segment., but that's beside the point.

They make all the newer chassis' narrower, smaller, tighter engine bays. And this is beside the point too.

I opened up a new thread on this in General and we can get the general public's opinion.

This is a thread on the 2014 PRO 800. And it will be a twin, and never a triple.... guaranteed.

The optimax route would be kick ass, because it outperforms the e-tec.

Last edited:

geo

Reaction score
574 wet. Are you sure.

Last 809 I scaled was an LT and was 579 out of the crate. Apples to apples tripples will always weight more and cost more.

I hope for 2014 Poo brings in a 360 lb sled but I think Doo and Cat still have to catch up a bit.

Top Bottom