2012 Pro 800 gear whine after re gearing?

rydemx

Reaction score
Hey I just put a 19/42 gears with stock chain and went for a good ride yesterday . It works great except I have a bit of a whine from chaincase area only at higher speeds on the trail. If you hit the brake for a second it will go away . Just wondering if anyone else has came across this?

Redlineryan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet that whine is your break rubbing just a bit as mine gets that everyonce and a while go for a ride and see if the disk gets hot. my reservoir was overfilled from the factory and caused the breaks to rub.

rydemx

Reaction score
It is the same noise as when u make a brake application , but I felt the rotor yesterday and it was warm to the touch even though I hadn't used brakes much . The sled didnt have any hold back though as if the brakes were staying on

Redlineryan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it doesnt take much to make it whine though. mine still always has a little bit of a whine and the rotor will always be warm but not the smokin hot it was before i took some break fluid out of the reservior. My breaks still will hold on a bit if it sits in the trailer overnight with the break locked on and i will have to pump the break a ton for the first couple kms of the trail to get it free. as long as the rotor isnt super hot it wont rob you of any power. i still pull 8200 on climbs and can hear the little bit of whine from the brake

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need to get that looked at, if it is already rubbing a bit and the fluid heats up and expands, it'll rub more and can cause fires. Some guys lost some summits that way in 06 and 07. Besides it's hard on the pads and rotor.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe the pros have a hyvo gear set in them, did you put hyvo gears in them? The 2012 pro I rode was stock and it had that whine in it. Was told it was the break rotor.

H2O

Reaction score
If your chain is too tight it will also make a whining noise..... I would check that and re-adjust.

GoHiSK1

Reaction score
My 2012 also makes a slight whining noise . You must be running the stock can or else you probably would not hear it. haha
I have my sled re geared to 20 - 45 . I did not notice the whine when sled was new and stock but after I changed out the track I was listening for any little noise and that is when I noticed the noise.
Also I have been on and off the Polaris band wagon and all of the ones I have owned since about 2000 have made the chain/case whine.
I am confident that if all other Pro`s are like mine there is little to worry about.

Top Bottom