2012 D-Max

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so I went and started my truck this morning and it started fine, Came back in my house had it idling for about hour, Went out to get in my truck and when i look at the gauges my def and check engine light was on and it said full power until 160km and there was somthing under that too but cant remember, so i took my truck to the dealer but it was close when i got it there, When i got it to the dealer the def light was gone off but my check engine is still on. So i came home and pull my cables of my batterys and let the truck sit for about half hour put the cables back on and the engine light is still on, My truck only got 13000kms on it. Dealer wont be open until a few days.. Would it be ok to still drive it???Thanks

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Probably just something to do with the DEF system. Sitting there for a hr idling in the cold, the system was probably asking for you to get up to hiway speeds. Onstar should be able to tell you something with their diag system

Should be good til your dealer opens so they can check for codes

MiledOut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah more than likely its a dpf problem needs to be put into a force burn. happens alot.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I better phone GM and ask them how come they made a diesel that could not idle for a hour.........

If you have a high idle switch wired up, then i can see it not being so much of a problem. Idling for any extended period of time, is horrible for any vehicle. This is why i enjoy having an hour meter in the HUD now. But of course you knew all this...

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's the reason why were not buying any more diesels, (fleet of 800 trucks) The last diesel service truck we bought we had the dealer install an engine driven air compressor, even at a high idle it plugd up the dpf. Glad there making the big gas gusling big blocks still.....

yamafam

Reaction score
Exactly the reason I went with the 6.2. Enough power to pull what I want without the maintaince of a diesel.

channonmanuel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So with the new diesel with urea the problem is is that the truck uses the engine coolant to un thaw the urea because urea freezes at -11, the other thing is that the new engines when you start them up you have 45 mins for the urea to un thaw and start injecting or it will put the check engine light on. And when it's just idling it prob doesn't get hot enough

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever happened to the old days when diesel pickups would run practically all winter "free fuel" ;) My Semi was never shut off in the winter months unless its warm out...

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So with the new diesel with urea the problem is is that the truck uses the engine coolant to un thaw the urea because urea freezes at -11, the other thing is that the new engines when you start them up you have 45 mins for the urea to un thaw and start injecting or it will put the check engine light on. And when it's just idling it prob doesn't get hot enough

You mean Thaw. to unthaw would be to freeze. Just sayin'

schiermnultra

Reaction score
Have a 2012 d-max, 2013 peterbilt, 2013 international with a max force and they all say don't idle any more then ya need too. Plugs the PDF. These new diesels need load and heat to burn properly.

With regard to the exhaust fluid it all freezes, it's water based and when it does freeze the vehicles don't use it. So if your vehicle sits outside all winter probably don't need to worry about putting fluid in it.

Just what I know... Correct me if I'm wrong. Seems there is a lot of misunderstanding and lack of information with the new diesel emissions.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes but as u keep driving the truck and don't fix it. The speed is limited till Ur at a crawl.

U have to fix it to drive it.

from my HTC

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Immission control SUCK PERIOD!! Pre-immissions FTW ;) All it does is cause HP loss and more mechanical issues that can/will happen imo

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes but as u keep driving the truck and don't fix it. The speed is limited till Ur at a crawl.

U have to fix it to drive it.

from my HTC
Yup its pretty bad that i cant drive my truck over the x-mas holidays just sitting out in my drive way... soon as exhaust shop opens i am putting a new exhaust and chip on this thing... I dont want to be out in the bush and the truck goes in to limp mode.....

Mikehunt

Reaction score
The DEF system has heaters in the tank that thaw the fluid.
When the ambient temp outside is colder than -20C the DEF system is disabled
There is no reason you need to run the engine for 45mins before you drive it

channonmanuel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never ment let it warm up 45 mins, it has 45 mins to get the nox gasses down to an acceptable level or u get limp mode / check engine. So if the truck is running and in 45 mins the urea is still frozen your going to get a code

Top Bottom