2012 Chevrolet 2500 vs F-250

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright my dad is looking at buying trucks. Basically between a Chev 2500 or F-250 with the 6.2L gas job. Fuel economy isn't a big deal for him. He refuses to buy a diesel so that's out.

Anyone driven both trucks? Haven't heard much about either engine. Which truck has a smoother ride? Does the 6.2L have the power to pull a decent load?

Thanks ahead of time

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Smother ride? Do you have to ask?

I have little experience with the Ford motor, but he 6L GM has plenty of spunk, I believe the 2012 is rated at 397hp.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just actually did a comparison on the new 6.2 motors both are rated fairly similar for power the cool thing was the comparison at elevations and the new ford and chev 6.2 at pincher creek elevation (not sure exact height) the 6.2 power goes down to about 365 hp from the 400 and more claimed! the only motor in the gas versions that arent losing elevation power and are still getting great economy and has a great payload for hauling is the ecoboost! yes v6 but it is a twin turboed v6 that is a super tough motor and performs under stress and load very well! either chev or ford 6.2 is gonna be a good motor that is forsure. and ford has really stepped up there ride quality plus the interior features on the ford are way nicer than the chevs and yes I own both ford and chev dealers so i will give you an honest opinion on both truck! My opinion man take the new ford gas job 6.2 or go with the ecoboost

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 6.2 in my Ford Raptor and love it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright my dad is looking at buying trucks. Basically between a Chev 2500 or F-250 with the 6.2L gas job. Fuel economy isn't a big deal for him. He refuses to buy a diesel so that's out.

Anyone driven both trucks? Haven't heard much about either engine. Which truck has a smoother ride? Does the 6.2L have the power to pull a decent load?

Thanks ahead of time

I have a 05 2500 HD and my dad has the 08 F250. Ride comparison isn't even close. The F250 may very well be the roughest riding vehicle I have ever been in, its almost like there is no suspension at all. Other than the ride it is a decent truck. My buddy has a 2011 F350 and it doesn't seem as bad but Chev is still quite a bit smoother.

GPsnownut

Reaction score
I have a 05 2500 HD and my dad has the 08 F250. Ride comparison isn't even close. The F250 may very well be the roughest riding vehicle I have ever been in, its almost like there is no suspension at all. Other than the ride it is a decent truck. My buddy has a 2011 F350 and it doesn't seem as bad but Chev is still quite a bit smoother.

I was told once if you want a pick up by a chev or dodge, if you want a truck by a ford, so I bought a ford.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just actually did a comparison on the new 6.2 motors both are rated fairly similar for power the cool thing was the comparison at elevations and the new ford and chev 6.2 at pincher creek elevation (not sure exact height) the 6.2 power goes down to about 365 hp from the 400 and more claimed! the only motor in the gas versions that arent losing elevation power and are still getting great economy and has a great payload for hauling is the ecoboost! yes v6 but it is a twin turboed v6 that is a super tough motor and performs under stress and load very well! either chev or ford 6.2 is gonna be a good motor that is forsure. and ford has really stepped up there ride quality plus the interior features on the ford are way nicer than the chevs and yes I own both ford and chev dealers so i will give you an honest opinion on both truck! My opinion man take the new ford gas job 6.2 or go with the ecoboost

I don't think the 6.2 is available in the 2500....only the 1500....I could be wrong...I think the 2500 is only availble with the 6L gas

I have the 6.2 in a 1500 crew cab (2011) and it has plenty go. Fun to drive. As good or better mileage than my previous 2008 1500 with the 5.3L

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own a chevy, buy would consider a ford for the cab space, especially if he's a larger man.

torkd

Reaction score
I don't think the 6.2 is available in the 2500....only the 1500....I could be wrong...I think the 2500 is only availble with the 6L gas

I have the 6.2 in a 1500 crew cab (2011) and it has plenty go. Fun to drive. As good or better mileage than my previous 2008 1500 with the 5.3L

We run 2011 F-250's at work with the 6.2 in them. Great power, decent ride, and really nice interior. The problem is I wouldnt buy one myself. My bosses truck has had a bad trany problem since about 45000km which is still like new. You also have to change out the fuel fill vent line system because it blocks which makes your truck impossible to fill with fuel. This is about a $900 touch for some F*kd up reason and warranty doesn't cover it. If your never on gravel this problem might not arrise but i dont understand why ford cant figure out stupid things like this.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GM should have kept building the 8.1L, does Ford still offer the V10?

I don't believe so. The 6.2L would destroy the V10 though. The 8.1L is a whole different story though. If that engine was still around it wouldn't even be a question.

Top Bottom