2011 Pro 800 running like crap....help?

Integrityinc

Reaction score
Took my 'new' 11 Pro RMK 800 out for a rip today for the second time. Ran great the other day. Filled it with Premium fuel, today topped up the tank with Esso regular and added a bit of octane boost. Ran good for a bit, then started acting retarded. I'm assuming it's the ethanol plug causing my grief. I looked at it, and it's the non ethanol plug in, however, I don't have another plug.
Does this sound like the problem? And am I correct to assume Polaris can sell me a new non ethanol plug?

it would bog and run rough, the engine light would flash the odd time on the way back to the truck... I'm really hoping this is simple...

thoughts?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took my 'new' 11 Pro RMK 800 out for a rip today for the second time. Ran great the other day. Filled it with Premium fuel, today topped up the tank with Esso regular and added a bit of octane boost. Ran good for a bit, then started acting retarded. I'm assuming it's the ethanol plug causing my grief. I looked at it, and it's the non ethanol plug in, however, I don't have another plug.
Does this sound like the problem? And am I correct to assume Polaris can sell me a new non ethanol plug?

it would bog and run rough, the engine light would flash the odd time on the way back to the truck... I'm really hoping this is simple...

thoughts?

Did the display show dET at the same time? If so try running premium fuel, most octane boosters are nearly useless at boosting octane, that regular gas likely contains ethanol, which will make your sled run lean.

Integrityinc

Reaction score
Ok I'll check that... Might have to drain the fuel!

What does dET mean?

Also, I only seem to have a non ethanol plug... Should I have an ethanol plug??

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dET shows up on the gauge when the detonation sensor picks up detonation or knock in the engine. Detonation or knock is bad, it is the preignition or explosion of the air-fuel mix prior to the sparkplug igniting it and allowing it to burn, this will cause the piston to overheat and if the DET sensor doesn't pick it up quick enough will melt the piston down ruining the top end of the motor.

To prevent this when the engine picks up DET it injects extra fuel to cool the cylinder as well as retarding the timing, if the detonation is bad enough it will cause the sled to go into limp mode which limits rpm to 6800, in which the sled has to be shut off and restarted to reset.

Yes you should also have ethanol plug if you run ethanol or less than 91 octane fuel. These can be purchased at a dealer if you don't have yours.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It could be something completely different though, this was just my first thought, but trying different fuel is a cheap option, all try adding some isopropyl alcohol to the fuel (gasline antifreeze) in case you got some water in the fuel.

Integrityinc

Reaction score
Just ran outside, found my ethanol plug, so that's switched.

Started it up, and no dET on the screen. It was weird today, it would cough, have no power, then maybe half power, and then suddenly it would run perfect for a while. Then I got in some powder, and it would randomly sort of die, then take off with full power. I ran the other day with no issues, but I did add half a tank of regular fuel from Esso today plus some octane boost. Thinking maybe it's just the regular fuel?

Am i right in my understanding that it's ok to use the ethanol plug all the time even running premium fuel?

Thanks for your help so far!!

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dET will only show up when Detonation is actively being observed by the computer, or when in limp mode due to detonation, so you won't see it on start up.

Regular fuel alone shouldn't make it run that bad, unless there was water in it. Gasline antifreeze might not be a bad idea.

When in doubt of the quality of fuel, run the ethanol plug, you may lose a little power, but it is the safe setting.

Have you tried changing spark plugs? Maybe one or both are fouled. particularly if it feels like it is running on one cylinder.

Otherwise maybe an electrical problem if it occurs after getting moisture from snow under the hood.

Integrityinc

Reaction score
Going to check the plugs tomorrow too. I would've thought that it wouldn't run normal tho if the plugs fouled. It would run perfect at times in between being goofy.

May take it for a rip now that the plug is changed out. But I think regardless I'll drain that fuel, and try new stuff.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes intermittent on plugs is uncommon, but might be worth a try.

Might be a TPS (throttle position sensor) as well, but that's outside of my experience, all my issues so far have been solved by spark plugs, pistons, fuel, or a turbo.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think it says in the Manuel not to use gas line antifreeze if u have ethanol fuel and it ok to use with non ethanol fuel could b
the fuel
tps
clutch
reeds
but if it worked fine till u put in reg gas then try that first not sure what the compression ratio is but I'm sure reg gas isn't good for it and octane boosters are junk I read some where when I was making my own fuel that when it's advertised 4 pt booster on 87 octane would b 87.4 not sure on that but good fuel good oil is cheap insurance

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use the ethanol plug if you are running ANY pump gas, other than Shell V - power 91. All other premiums out there still contain ethanol (especially Petro's Ultra 94).
Could also be the TPS sensor, as that was my problem when when my sled was doing exactly as you are describing. However it was also around the same time I absent minded filled up at Petro instead of Shell (only a few litres before I realized) but ran the Premium plug.

Sent from a Galaxy S3 far far away.

Top Bottom