2011/2012 Sicamous (Eagle Valley) Updates

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Owlshead on Saturday March 31, freshly groomed, not a scratcher mark on it before we went up. Eagle Valley grooming, you rock the house!!

They groomed everywhere on the 30th as far as I know. We were sleds 5/6 up Blue on Saturday and first guys up Owl's on Sunday. Everything was still smooth on Sunday! I had never ridden a trail up as smooth as Blue was on Saturday I am sure Owl's was the same.

Still no fresh snow though, so everyone might as well keep going to Revy. Don't bother stopping in the mous! :)

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They groomed everywhere on the 30th as far as I know. We were sleds 5/6 up Blue on Saturday and first guys up Owl's on Sunday. Everything was still smooth on Sunday! I had never ridden a trail up as smooth as Blue was on Saturday I am sure Owl's was the same.

Still no fresh snow though, so everyone might as well keep going to Revy. Don't bother stopping in the mous! :)

They groomed all four on the evening of the the 30th. If you rode blue on Friday the 30th it was less than ideal. Problem is they groom every 75 and let's say it is Friday and up to that point 40 sleds have been up thru the week. Then saturday morning 60 sleds show up so it is beat up real early. Tough call to groom or not for the weekend as a lot of times only a half dozen show up on the week end. Happens quite often in Sicamous. Owlhead was smooth as silk from Friday groom on Sat and only a dozen or so sleds rode. The weekend prior and all last week it was rough as hell.This weekend will be busy for Easter weekend and after that we often go up and are the only two up there.

For the most part the Sicamous trails are kept in pretty good shape.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They groomed all four on the evening of the the 30th. If you rode blue on Friday the 30th it was less than ideal. Problem is they groom every 75 and let's say it is Friday and up to that point 40 sleds have been up thru the week. Then saturday morning 60 sleds show up so it is beat up real early. Tough call to groom or not for the weekend as a lot of times only a half dozen show up on the week end. Happens quite often in Sicamous. Owlhead was smooth as silk from Friday groom on Sat and only a dozen or so sleds rode. The weekend prior and all last week it was rough as hell.This weekend will be busy for Easter weekend and after that we often go up and are the only two up there.

For the most part the Sicamous trails are kept in pretty good shape.

I don't think every riding area had 75 sleds go up between grooms on the 30th and the previous groom so there are times they will groom extra for a weekend.

Its tough, but I don't mind the 75 sled groom program. We ride Sicamous 25+ days a season and rarely have a bad day because of a rough ride in. Maybe early season when there aren't a lot of sleds or spring when its mild. I haven't seen it busy at all this winter. Seems like alot of people stayed away.

AirNorth1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www3.telus.net
The registered numbers may not match the actual numbers {sleds traveled} when you factor in the increasing amount of riders sneaking in thru the back doors heading to a groomed trail warm chalet endless firewood.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The registered numbers may not match the actual numbers {sleds traveled} when you factor in the increasing amount of riders sneaking in thru the back doors heading to a groomed trail warm chalet endless firewood.

GOPR0053.jpg

Don't forget about us members who pay our dues but rarely if ever go to the cabins or ride groomed trails though.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just came off Owlhead. Went up early to test a sled. Groomed to perfection again.:)
S&R has been up there all night looking for a lost sledder. Guy has been missing since early afternoon yesterday Helicopters flying around. Not good.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clear and sunny so kind of strange. He was seperated from his group and they couldn't find him and called S&R early afternoon. Hopefully just dropped in a hole and was stuck and is ok.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out looking for him last night - no Luck - this morning went out with S & R in helicopter - found him about 8am this morning - He was tired / cold ,but other that ok !:)

Last edited:

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out looking for him last night - no Luck - this morning went out with S & R in helicopter - found him about 8am this morning - He was tired / cold ,but other that ok !:)

That is good news.We watched the chopper drop him off this morning. I hear his sled quit so he started walking. How does a guy get that seperated from his buddies that they can't find him?? Story I was told is they were in the cabin and he went out on his own so they had no idea what direction he went. :nono:

Also here he will get a bill for S&R and chopper. That will be a good reminder next time he wants to wander off from the group. Glad it didn't turn out bad. ;)Must have been a long cold night. People need to remember where they are and keep track of each other. I spent two hours this evenng looking for a guys two sons up on Boulder.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well me and my friend Greg headed over to blue on saturday via owls - on our way back Greg misjudged an incline and came off the sled and landed on the rear part of the tunnel - at first I thought nothing of it but then realized he was hurting - he was out of breath and with every breath he took - an Ughhh was expressed!! Thought he maybe just knocked the wind out of himself - after a few minutes things sort of settled down - he said he was ok - I still thought we needed to take it easy - we were only about 1/4 km from the main trail - then after having a hard time maneuvering/turning through the trees and getting stuck I knew it was a little more serious - we finally got to the main trail turn off which heads south to owls cabin - The pain for Greg was ok as long as he kept his breathing low key! Right then a guy pulls up on an Artic cat and asked if we seen a guy on a Green Artic Cat -he had been missing since late afternoon - we said no - we just got back from Blue - It was about 7pm and was getting dark - I knew Greg was hurting and should go and get some medical attention - Well then Greg's adrenaline kicked in and insisted we go and look for the lost sledder - We followed Glen to the location that he had last seen his partner and said that he seen making a pull up top, waving Glen to come up - Glen not being an experienced riding did not go up and that was the last time they had seen him. By the time we got to avy hill where they had last seen him it was pretty much dark( right side of avy hill / west of mara mountain ) - I made a pull up to the location and it seemed he made it over the top - We headed around and went up top - we searched around - went down towards steeper slopes - alot of tracks around but we did not see anything that went over an edge - we listened / looked for lights / called . We ventured down a slope but kinda got a little to steep for my liking in the dark - and with Greg hurting we decided to turn around and head back to the cabin with a worried feeling > We headed back down and met with S&R which was set up in the owls head parking lot - we informed them of where we looked and I did give them my GPS to where we searched - S&R did research the area until 3am with no luck - Next morning around 6:30am S&R knocked on Gregs door - They gave me my gps back but still were not able to locate the missing sledder - at that time they asked if I'd go up and search for him via chopper since I was familiar with the area - We lifted off around 8am - circled around west of mara mountain - at that time we got a call from S&R that lost sledder has called a friend and was approx 1 1/2 km west of the owls cabin . We then called him direct from satellite phone in chopper - We then called him and he directed us directly over him - we then directed him towards the cabin - but he seemed to only take a few steps then rest again - was hard to tell from chopper but he was sinking in snow up to his knees and walking up fairly good incline - by then S&R rode down to him with sleds. Never did see where lost sled was - but I guess it died and would not restart. As for Greg - a dedicated sledder and hats off to him for coming along to look for a lost sledder. For me it was a first time experience in searching for someone who was lost and gladly a positive outcome! Want to give a hats off to Rob and his crew from S&R that give there undivided attention to searching for people that are lost - for me it was very gratifying that I could help! Oh ya
.- As for Greg - recovering - only one broken Rib !

GRD

Reaction score
What are the conditions like at the Sicamous riding areas?:confused: Has anyone been out in the last couple of days?:)

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
debating whether to go for one last ride - how warm has it been - where is everyone unloading at - what are snow condtions like !

SUPERDUTY

Reaction score
Was up on Friday , still lots of snow left , it was around 2 degrees above but about 8-10" of fresh no tracks but ours. Still time left so go for it. Road was good going up . Parked about 1 km past where the groomer is parked.

HAYDENC

Reaction score
hey has anyone been out to blue lake or sicamous areas lately? hoping to get one last ride, any updated or pictures?

Top Bottom