2008 xp clutching

lightweight

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how are you clutches set up? my sled runs 6000 rpm on the trail just cruiseing along looking to drop that . when pulling or climbing 8100 rpm . I was told there is a different primary clutch spring to held with low speed trail riding ??? Any feed back

mtndoctor

Reaction score
Terra alps racing has a good clutch set up and billit head for the ski doos
check out there website

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
how are you clutches set up? my sled runs 6000 rpm on the trail just cruiseing along looking to drop that . when pulling or climbing 8100 rpm . I was told there is a different primary clutch spring to held with low speed trail riding ??? Any feed back

If your still running the stock clutching, or if nothing has not been done, you will find the clutching was set-up too light from the factory. Bunch of us have gone to around 17 to 18 grams weight in the pins in the primary. Stock they were about 13.2 grams. Loads the engine more, lowers the rpm and keeps it in check at wide open, (8250-8300). You want the engine to spin at 8250 ideally because the tach reads about 100 high and the engine likes to see 8150.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What track are you running? We put a Dynamoe Joe kit on my bro's 163 X helped huge,. Plus a good tear down and cleaning helped. From factory was coated in oil.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A softer starting rate spring will allow your primary to open quicker which should bring your rpms down some at trail speeds, but it may hurt your preformance some when you want to climb. The clutches will want to up shift too fast. You can had some more weight to the clutch, it will open the primary faster. Almost the same as adding a softer spring. If you do...go to Acklands for the set screws. I bought some there(3 sets of different sizes) for about $2, the dealer wants about $2 each. I have the 154 xp and put in a 160/290 with 25mm set screws and like what it did. You can set up for the mountains or for trail riding or set up for in between, but in between you may not be happy with the sleds preformance.

zeeberg7

Reaction score
Does anyone know about any good Clutch kits for the 08 Rev. I need some more grab. my stock clutch just doesn't cut it in the hills. Is the Cudney Kit a good Buy??

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just make sure these clutch kits are built for the MOUNTAINS. Many kits from down East are for lower alittudes and trail riding. I have a DJ clutch kit and it works great. New bushings are out for the clutch as last years were soft and wear out fast update coming or here already

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my setup on my 146" XP: purple/blue primary spring, 'doo solid short pins @ 16.8 grams each, DJ's QR2 helix, 19/45 gearing.

track spools up to around 45mph in less than 3 sled lengths and holds around 45-50 during a climb until you back out or trench. a couple of friends are running the full DJ kit, but their track speed doesn't come up as fast as mine it seems. DJ's kit comes with a pink/white or purple/pink spring I think, but it has a stiffer finish force than stock where mine is less. people seem happy with his kit, I just bought the helix because I had a tickle trunk of 'doo primary clutch parts already.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
call terra alps!!!! he did mine and it rocks!

Chubbydog

Reaction score
I ended up with about 18.5g of weight, and the DJ clutch kit. This was for the 163". Worked really well from 6500-1000'.

Top Bottom