2008 M8 Modifications???

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who's done them? Just curious on who's doing what with the 2008 M8 only. I've installed the VForce3 Reeds and Boondocker control box but still awaiting on my SLP Y-Pipe, Pipe and silencer, Ive been waiting 9 weeks so far, they tell me its stuck at the border but Im growing extremely impatient!!! Would like to hear something about clutching and suspension. For those that have had an M7 they would know how easy it is to throw around, the M8 feels more stuborn and I heard that it can be fixed by modding the suspension a little.

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got my SLP exhaust , FINALLY! And purchased the D&D intake kit. On SLPs website it says you need the boondocker control box with the exhaust but in the instructions i recieved it says you dont at 5000 feet and up, so I guess i bought the box for nothing, until I do more mods. Just some useful info for anyone else with an M8 thinking of using a SLP exhaust. One thing I gotta say though is the can is frickin' heavy, probably twice as heavy as my MBRP, so I'm not to impressed with that.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got my SLP exhaust , FINALLY! And purchased the D&D intake kit. On SLPs website it says you need the boondocker control box with the exhaust but in the instructions i recieved it says you dont at 5000 feet and up, so I guess i bought the box for nothing, until I do more mods. Just some useful info for anyone else with an M8 thinking of using a SLP exhaust. One thing I gotta say though is the can is frickin' heavy, probably twice as heavy as my MBRP, so I'm not to impressed with that.

have you tried the mbrp with the slp pipe?

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I haven't, just got the pipe today and i sold my M7 with the MBRP can so I wont be able to try it out.

Ohh, ok that sucks...if i get a pipe, i wanna try my mbrp can on it, because the slp pipe i heard on an 03 rmk 800 sounded...pretty quiet...(i like loud lol) it sounded almost stock till held wide open.

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ohh, ok that sucks...if i get a pipe, i wanna try my mbrp can on it, because the slp pipe i heard on an 03 rmk 800 sounded...pretty quiet...(i like loud lol) it sounded almost stock till held wide open.

I heard the same thing about them being quiet till its pinned which Im not to sure about yet, I'll fire it up thursday and see.

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am curious what you thought of the V-Force reeds. I have never messed around with them. Are they worth the $$. Please let me know how your mods work, I have the same sled 08 M8 Sno-Pro. I still have my 06 M7 great machine but I think it's time to sell it and get the Sno-Pro done up.

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am curious what you thought of the V-Force reeds. I have never messed around with them. Are they worth the $$. Please let me know how your mods work, I have the same sled 08 M8 Sno-Pro. I still have my 06 M7 great machine but I think it's time to sell it and get the Sno-Pro done up.

All that u will notice with the reeds is a much improved throttle response with a stock machine, if u like playing in the trees then i believe it is a must, but if u add aftermarket exhaust like SLP, they claim that u could gain an additional 5-10 hp on top of the 15 hp gain you get from the exhaust but one will never know without a dyno test. I'll let u know how the exhaust works when im done.

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my 07-m8 i put d&d y pipe and mbrb can and changed my weights in primary to 73 gr and put 44/40 helix on with stock springs. I also put side panel vents on work good to and i made a heat sheild out of insulation off of panel and it working good to.So all is working good like it.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont understand why so many people buy the mbrp cans?? They are built by a company that builds flatland stuff. They never do any m ountain testing. There cans also radiat heat like a bastard.. And yet people put vent kits on to get rid of heat.. Why not just put a GOOD can like a jaws that we have ceramic coated casue then it doesn't radiat heat raelly.. It's still hot to touch but dosn't really give off heat.. Thats why all of the exhausts we sell are ceramic coated... And might even be cheaper than the mbrp... Oh yah and putting a control box on an M series sled is never a waste!!!

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont understand why so many people buy the mbrp cans?? They are built by a company that builds flatland stuff. They never do any m ountain testing. There cans also radiat heat like a bastard.. And yet people put vent kits on to get rid of heat.. Why not just put a GOOD can like a jaws that we have ceramic coated casue then it doesn't radiat heat raelly.. It's still hot to touch but dosn't really give off heat.. Thats why all of the exhausts we sell are ceramic coated... And might even be cheaper than the mbrp... Oh yah and putting a control box on an M series sled is never a waste!!!

MBRP sounds a lot better than anything else i've heard and drops more weight. Also...people that buy cans usually shouldnt be looking for a hp gain...cans are for sound and weight...and thats what you get from MBRP

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well there rucky i have diiferent opinion on the sound than you do i guess.. And my truck is dual straight pipe. So i like it loud... But the mbrp on an xp for axample, the holder tabs break then it rubs on your chaincase or melts your side panel.. The best thing to make your sled perform better is lower the underhood temp... So an ungly crappy can like the mbrp dont help with that.. It is also built by flatlanders so it'll actually lose power in the hills cause of having the wrong restriction in it.. But you said you dont care about power so i guess it's alright with you... There are alot better options out there..

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Linkz, How are you making out with your Mods? I am picking up some V-Force reeds this week and if I can ever finish getting my garage insulated a drywalled I can actually heat my garage I will throw them in.

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Linkz, How are you making out with your Mods? I am picking up some V-Force reeds this week and if I can ever finish getting my garage insulated a drywalled I can actually heat my garage I will throw them in.

Had to stay home from work today, cant work outside efficiently in this kind of weather but it did allow me to finish my sled. SLP pipes are in and I gotta say it doesn't sound to bad, more of a deep throaty sound, I wired my boondocker wrong and had to fix that. Finished cutting the recommended insulation out from the hood and applied heat tape to the cables. I also installed the D&D high flow intake kit, looks pretty good. I plan to take a short rip later today to test it out but i already know it will run rich as SLP pipes are engineered for 5000 feet and up and they have no configuratuons yet for under that, still testing. If anyone has any base numbers for the boondocker box that would be greatly appreciated at our altitude (2400 feet)and 6000-9000feet aswell.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well there rucky i have diiferent opinion on the sound than you do i guess.. And my truck is dual straight pipe. So i like it loud... But the mbrp on an xp for axample, the holder tabs break then it rubs on your chaincase or melts your side panel.. The best thing to make your sled perform better is lower the underhood temp... So an ungly crappy can like the mbrp dont help with that.. It is also built by flatlanders so it'll actually lose power in the hills cause of having the wrong restriction in it.. But you said you dont care about power so i guess it's alright with you... There are alot better options out there..

thats cause the xps are so compact that the can sits so close the chain case and side panels that it melts and breaks tabs...duh...i thought u would know that since you work at a custom shop. AND rucky is right that cans are ment more for weight reduction and not power...You get more power out of pipes..thats what there for...

Last edited:

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats cause the xps are so compact that the can sits so close the chain case and side panels that it melts and breaks tabs...duh...i thought u would know that since you work at a custom shop. AND rucky is right that cans are ment more for weight reduction and not power...You get more power out of pipes..thats what there for...

Hey this isn't a "who has the biggest balls contest" or "I know more than you contest". You guys go start your own thread about XP's or polaris's somewhere else as I created this thread for info about 2008 M8 sled modifications, dont hijack. THX.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No kidding there for weight savings... DUHHH... We have sold hundreds of our own cans and not a single one has broken a tab, melted a panel, or rubbing on chaincase.. So i guess you just get what you pay for, oh wait ours are cheaper and they are also ceramic coated.. There is no excuse for mbrp's shitty workmanship!!!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey this isn't a "who has the biggest balls contest" or "I know more than you contest". You guys go start your own thread about XP's or polaris's somewhere else as I created this thread for info about 2008 M8 sled modifications, dont hijack. THX.

AMEN man.. This thread is for talkin about some cool sleds... Kittty Cats...LOL.. Oh yah i bleed green..

Top Bottom