2006 Dodge Cummins horn issue

martincc

Reaction score
I am looking at a used 2006 Dodge 2500 5.9L with 138000kms from an auction. I looked it over and it has a coolant leak from a hose which should be an easy fix, front u joints have some play in them so I assume they will need to be replaced, but the largest concern I have with the truck is that it acted funny when starting up. When I turned the key to the on position the horn would sometimes honk, also once or twice when I put it in gear the alarm would sound for about 1 second. There is a sticker on the rad saying the ECU was reflashed back in February. Any idea what might cause this? The hood was open on the first notch when doing all this. Truck came from Crowfoot Dodge in Calgary, any idea how I can get a service history on this truck? They won't give it to me. The truck looks stock.. no exaust or aftermarket intake and no signs of a programmer.

Also, anyone know a rough cost to replace the u-joints in the front alxe?

Thanks for any help!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Labour would be 1.6hours per side, but be sure to check the ball joints first, because at 138k, they'll likely require replacement. Had my '06 ball joints and the new updated front steering linkage done at 60k.........

Sounds like it may have had an aftermarket remote start &/or security system installed, and may have issues. Good luck? Keep us in touch

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To replace the front axle u-joints is about 3- 3.5 hours and the joints are about $87 each. As for getting any service history info I have no idea. The dealer should be able to do something by running the serial number. As for the horn, sounds like some sort of alarm system

martincc

Reaction score
Thanks guys, whats a rough cost for ball joint replacement?

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Actually the balljoints are the biggie to doo......... We've done lotsa them including an '08 we're dooin right now......................

Ball joints replacement(parts and labour)approx $950.00
with axle u-joints replace(p & l) approx $170.00
wheel alignment $89.95

keep us in the loop........ ;)

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the horn will sound if you put it into gear with the door open.....it will continue to sound if the truck is in reverse with the door open.

as far as the front end, every 50-60k it's time for the Dodge "tune-up".......ball joints,u-joints, before you buy ball joints check your diff for the dodge smile, if its a diesel

at about the 100k mark most of the front diesel diffs will "smile" making it impossibe to set your camber while wheel aglining. You will need ajustable ball joints if this is the case (more money)

hope this helps....I got about 240 000 on my 06 Diesel, and it just keeps running better and better. Cruise set at 110........1400k on a tank....its awesome

U

Unknown1

the horn will sound if you put it into gear with the door open.....it will continue to sound if the truck is in reverse with the door open.

I second this, and it is super annoying when hooking up a trailer

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

as far as the front end, every 50-60k it's time for the Dodge "tune-up".......ball joints,u-joints, before you buy ball joints check your diff for the dodge smile, if its a diesel

at about the 100k mark most of the front diesel diffs will "smile" making it impossibe to set your camber while wheel aglining. You will need ajustable ball joints if this is the case (more money)

hope this helps....I got about 240 000 on my 06 Diesel, and it just keeps running better and better. Cruise set at 110........1400k on a tank....its awesome

50-60k is pretty uncommon. I sold my 04 at 140km and only did axle u-joints ball joints were stock and running 38" tires.

My dads 07.5 has 125km of towing 12k 5 days a week and has had nothing done for ANY drivetrain work, only brakes (still on stock tires).

His 05 before that was traded in at 100km and still had a stock drivetrain to.

And I can say, his trucks are treated very harsh. It is really dependant on the truck, but most will last till well over 100km before needing much in the drivetrain.

And if a truck is treated decent (not beat badly) it will NOT need adjustable ball joints, it is REALLY rare.

Last edited:

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your dad has had pretty good luck, one of my best friends is the top diesel guy at a very large dealership in Calgary, and his stories are the ones I related.
I agree, that they are one....if not the, toughest trucks out there, but lets face it, they have there issues, especially if you start chippin' them up.
Your Dads' been fortunate, his luck is certainly not the norm

JMO

martincc

Reaction score
thanks for the info.. I am pretty sure I had the door open or cracked when it was in gear. I'll recheck this weekend. It is normal for the horn to sound when the key is first turned to the on position with the door open? Really dont want to end up with an electrical demon!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your dad has had pretty good luck, one of my best friends is the top diesel guy at a very large dealership in Calgary, and his stories are the ones I related.
I agree, that they are one....if not the, toughest trucks out there, but lets face it, they have there issues, especially if you start chippin' them up.
Your Dads' been fortunate, his luck is certainly not the norm

JMO

Umm sort of. My buddy has a 02 and it's always broken, but it's the way he drives it and does things that is the reason.

I have also owned one 2001 with 300,000km and a 04 with 285,000km both had no front end issues and a lot of it was still stock. My family has owned probably 15 dodge cummins over the years and haven't done that much front end work, the ones that needed much had well over 200,000km on them.

The biggest problem is the owners, my bet is less then 5% of people drive and maintain a diesel right. The engine can pound out the front end in no time if people are a stupid. Or even kill the engine if your dumb with it.

For sure there is the odd ones that go earlier, but a lot is just the owners fault to. But I would agree at 140km that you should be expecting to do some work to the drivetrain for sure.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[humm 1400km on a tank must be with the tidy tank too i owned couple cummins and they wernt that good :rolleyes: and my 05 dodge the front end fell out at 100000km all pavement they have to stop putting car parts in the front ends by far the worst front ends lets here the squealing now

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[humm 1400km on a tank must be with the tidy tank too i owned couple cummins and they wernt that good :rolleyes: and my 05 dodge the front end fell out at 100000km all pavement they have to stop putting car parts in the front ends by far the worst front ends lets here the squealing now

The thing is, comparing a dodge front end to a ford or gm doesn't work that well. The cummins is a LOT heavier motor, while a big disadvantage to front end, I would rather do front end then motor work like the rest. The parts aren't light, it's just because the motor is so heavy. Sucks dodge hasen't put better stuff in, but it doesn't cost that much to put in a lot better replacement parts and not worry about it. And it's not like gm's have a front end worth writing home about......

My best tank is about 1000km. But my dads got about 1100km on 120L or so.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had a few CTD's at work, my 04 now has 370k. When Dodge went away from Dana axles to AAM in 03 it was a step backwards, that's when all the u-joint problems started. My first set of fronts went at under 60k and they were done under warranty, have done at least once again, now grease-able and lasting.

They introduced that stupid horn honking thing because people weren't smart enough to put their trucks fully in park before getting out. They sent a recall letter wanting to flash mine to honk. I was at the dealer later for something else and told them if they did that flash they would find a horn stuck somewhere unpleasant. FYI Dodge automatics should be idled in neutral if for any length of time.

1400km from a tank? That's unbelievable. I often get 1000 but I know where E is.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[
1400km from a tank? That's unbelievable. I often get 1000 but I know where E is.[/QUOTE]

1398 on a trip to/and back from saskatoon, when we pulled into Beiseker the computer wasn't saying "time to re-fuel" nicely anymore.....it was sounding quite paniked....hahaha

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
1400km on a tank...........hmmm........best i've ever had was enderby to edmonton and still had fuel. 1100kms(no load)........ Averaging 130kph or so. Harder you push them, better the mileage gets.

mudnmoneypit

Reaction score
I have an 04 3500 single axle 4x4 quad cab -bully dog programmer &torque converter and I can tell you the front axle will "smile" from normal use - never been mudding or
off road with my rig and only a 2 " leveling kit with 35's -needed adjustable ball joints to correct camber and the NAPA rebuild kit for all bushings at 100K and every 30-40 K since. And to be perfectly honest it's still the harshest riding most miserable handling vehicle I have ever driven - if it didn't have the cummins I wouldnt even look at another dodge. Good luck brothers

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 3500 single axle 4x4 quad cab -bully dog programmer &torque converter and I can tell you the front axle will "smile" from normal use - never been mudding or
off road with my rig and only a 2 " leveling kit with 35's -needed adjustable ball joints to correct camber and the NAPA rebuild kit for all bushings at 100K and every 30-40 K since. And to be perfectly honest it's still the harshest riding most miserable handling vehicle I have ever driven - if it didn't have the cummins I wouldnt even look at another dodge. Good luck brothers

100% chance the handling is the fault of your own with the leveling kit throwing things out of wack, or even before that. If the truck is properly aligned it will handle perfect. And needing offset ball joints are rare, and putting in NAPA parts? That is your problem right there.......

Don't blame the truck for owner issues.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
keep on braking them soi can fix them :)

the updated steering linkage is really really good even though its big bill to get it when needet (tirod end package, steering stabelizer, pitman arm)

if ball joints required and axle u joints as well its a nice 2,5h job if u know what ure doing :)

i prob align 3-10 trucks every week in the shop and to behonest maybe (if even) 1-2 trucks a month need offset ball joints

Top Bottom