2005 Arctic Cat M7 Thoughts and Opinions?

summit1000

Reaction score
So, my dad is looking at getting back into sledding, and I found a decent deal on an '05 M7. I've been doing some reading on them and overall they seem decent. However, I've read that the fuel economy was brutal. It doesn't need to get good fuel economy, just good enough that it isn't going to be a constant concern. So how many miles to a tank will an M7 average? The cost isn't what concerns me, I just want to make sure that my old man can make a good day of riding on it (like at least 50 miles....hopefully more). I know it is a really hard question to answer because so many different factors can come into play, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont think M7 has a bad fuel economy, it has EFI motor as far as remember. So fuel economy greatly improved compare to previous suzuki carb motors.
You dad would be easily driving somewhere between 45-80miles mainly depending on snow cover.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best I ever did with mine was around 120 kilometers on a tank....and it wouldn't have gone much further. No worse than my M1000 or my M8 really, and way better than my supercharged Nytro was.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 05 m7 did really well on fuel also and it had a 174"x2.5". Easily 100 to 120 km to a tank.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 06 M7 and I had no worries about fuel economy. I would easily get as good milage as my buddies on their 800's. As niner said easily anywhere from 100 to 120 km to a tank. Good sled, your dad will like it.

EmEight

Reaction score
I have had two m7s and have buddies that had some too. Fuel economy is not an issue at all. And don't get me wrong I think they are great sleds. They do have a couple issues tho. The clutches are probably the worst part of the entire machine. Primary and secondary can both give trouble. With the primary what happens is the weight rollers get pitted and then they stick and the clutch won't disengage. What really pissed me off it that I bet those rollers are probably only a couple dollars a piece but they are a non serviceable part. There are a couple guys that will do it and have the special tools but they charges almost as much as just getting a new clutch. And with the secondary, we have broken the helix a couple times. Not sure how to prevent that. But other than that it's a great sled. Lots of fun.

summit1000

Reaction score
My 05 m7 did really well on fuel also and it had a 174"x2.5". Easily 100 to 120 km to a tank.

That's good to hear!.....my friend will be carrying a 10L jerry can on his Pro RMK, so if for whatever reason the M7 does start to run low, at least we can put a bit more in it. I think this is a decent sled for the price. I sent the guy an e-mail, will maybe call him tomorrow. nice m7 must go | snowmobiles | Edmonton | Kijiji

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's good to hear!.....my friend will be carrying a 10L jerry can on his Pro RMK, so if for whatever reason the M7 does start to run low, at least we can put a bit more in it. I think this is a decent sled for the price. I sent the guy an e-mail, will maybe call him tomorrow. nice m7 must go | snowmobiles | Edmonton | Kijiji
Make sure to ask if has the stock exhaust. The stock exhaust works very well on the m7.

summit1000

Reaction score
Make sure to ask if has the stock exhaust. The stock exhaust works very well on the m7.
Is that to say it doesn't work well with aftermarket haha? Because in the ad, the guy said that he has a tune, pipe, and can.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm just saying if he has it laying around anyway get him to throw it in. The stock exhaust on the m7 wasn't a boat anchor like the m8 and m1000. A aftermarket y pipe was good for 4 hp but run the stock pipe and can for best overall performance.

Top Bottom