2004 Polaris Sportsman Priming the pump

eaxtellcoin

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I thought I would ask the forum a question since I'm old hat at doing auto repairs but 4 wheeler's are a little new.

2004 Sportsman 500 Oil change. I drained the reservoir as per service manual, changed the filter and drained the sump. Now hear is the catch - Priming - says to pinch approx 2" the vent hose before the slit to the air box? Engine Oil flow diagram shows the oil tank bottom fitting is oil exhaust or return to tank. Top fitting is oil feed or intake from bottom of the tank. I first pinched the bottom fitting and after the 10-20sec had oil leaks around the oil filter. No Hiss or burp as the book states. I think I am primed but a little hesitant, anyone have any idea if this was correct or do I still have an issue?
Thanks, Eric

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are referring to the tank vent line located at the top of the tank. The vent line has a slit about 6" down the line

A little late now but for next time there is a screen in the bottom line (fitting at the tank) that needs cleaning during oil changes.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it was the top hose that you needed to squeeze. In the future i wouldn't even bother draining the crankcase. There is only like a cup of oil in there and if you leave it in there then you don't have to screw around with priming the pump. the screen on the lower fiiting only needs to be cleaned every couple changes.

Top Bottom