19?? Yamaha yz490

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Just picked up an old school yz490 and I'm trying to figure out the year on it. Just wondering if there's any guru's on here that know something about them. I got it narrowed down to an 89 or 90 I think. White frame with white plastics and red seat, disc brake on front, right side exhaust, and 5 speed gear box. Can't find a decal on it and the serial number on the steering stem is partially rubbed off from the cable. Is there any other minor changes that I can look for to pinpoint the year. Tried googling it but all that ever pops up is info on the 82, 83, and the 85 models.
davejeqy.jpg

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good luck making it run well, they were a troubled beast

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
good luck making it run well, they were a troubled beast

That's what I've heard. Hard to jet and prone to seizure. Just going to be a restore project and probably only ridden once a year when I feel the need to scare the sh!t out of myself.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try thumpertalk I think I saw a yz490 thread on there at one point.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Call the gang at Motorcycle Recycle in Stony Plain, they might have a good way for you to tell what year it is :)

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Thanks everyone so far. I would give thanks and some rep, but Tapatalk doesn't allow on this forum. Ive since figured out it's probably an '86 going off the engine serial number, but the white frame is throwing me off as every pic I've been able to find of the '86 model has been red frame and didn't go white till '87. Perhaps it's just that it's a Canadian bike vs American.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks everyone so far. I would give thanks and some rep, but Tapatalk doesn't allow on this forum. Ive since figured out it's probably an '86 going off the engine serial number, but the white frame is throwing me off as every pic I've been able to find of the '86 model has been red frame and didn't go white till '87. Perhaps it's just that it's a Canadian bike vs American.

could easily be an 87 bike with an 86 engine.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
my old CR500 was a beast like that too. my issue was wearing myself out and wrenching my back just getting the thing started. man, what I would have done for electric start on that bike

Top Bottom