146 vs 154 summit xp?

atvmodster

Reaction score
How does the 146 inch xp compare in the mountains compared to the 154? For around hear i think a 146 inch would be a perfect length. If i would of bought new thats what i would have bought. I think a 146 is plenty long for playing in the drifts in the ditches. If i found someone that was willing to trade tracks/suspension would it be very hard? Are the tunnels the same length on the two?

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tunnels are different Length, gearing is different also. The length of the track should be proportionate to the weight of the rider X the kind of snow that he/she rides in the most. A light rider on super-long sled climbs high, but handles poorer due to weight&balance (runs nose-lower in powder due to more float in the rear).
Happy sledding.

drop the hammer

Reaction score
This depends alot on how often you ride the mtns and what type of riding you do. going from 146 to 154 is pretty tough, tunnel is longer, rails are longer, track is longer...fair jag of work to make the switch and the expense. You'd be better off going to 2.5 inch track on it, since it's a direct swap.

If you ride mostly around home in ditches and do mtns a couple times of year, you'll be fine, unless you hit a 3 or 4 foot powder day, then you won't get around at all. But with some longer sleds breaking trail you'll still get around, just have to have good skills and killer work ethic.

For myself i ride a 163 and only ride mtns and off the beaten path so bottomless snow is regular riding for me, hence the 163. I can still pull enough track speed to do tight donuts, but that's after clutching and tuning.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a 146, and I am running it because I want to be. I am not a heavy guy, I don't climb silly slopes that I have no buisness being on. Biggest difference I see is that a 154 will climb in powder flatter than a 146 will. My 146 tends to want to stand up when pulling in powder. I've adjusted the suspension several ways and have gotten it to a point where I like it, but a 154 still wants to stay flat compared to the 146.

Next summer I will determine if I want to upgrade to a 154 skid, or maybe stick a 146x2.5inch track in there with a new suspension set up or simply leave it.

I've run it in 3 feet of powder and I get around just fine, just need lots of track speed. Just keep in mind, it wasn't that long ago that the longest tracks on the hills were 144's.

Now I wouldn't put a 146 skid on a 154 sled, your tunnel would be too long. I would put a 154 under a 146, easier to modify. 154 tunnel is one rivot space longer on the back end, about 3 inches.

Honestly if you want a 146, sell your 154. The stock gearing should actually be the same 21/45 for the 146 and 154. Most guys drop the 154's down to 20 or 19.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 146", wanted a sled that would run well at home in marginal snow yet still work in the mountains.

I run a 146, and I am running it because I want to be. I am not a heavy guy, I don't climb silly slopes that I have no buisness being on. Biggest difference I see is that a 154 will climb in powder flatter than a 146 will. My 146 tends to want to stand up when pulling in powder. I've adjusted the suspension several ways and have gotten it to a point where I like it, but a 154 still wants to stay flat compared to the 146.

I have found the same thing with the 154" (rented one last year when my track came apart in Valemount), it stayed much more planted when climbing than my 146".

put the camoplast challenger extreme 2.5" in it this year, had it out for a weekend in chappel and it rocked. definite improvement over stock, had a friend with the same sled to compare with on the trip.

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a twist for you: I run an 08 SummitX800R 154". I've cut the track height down to 1.75" (took me 1 hour with a carpet cutter). I weigh 220+, ride the mtns 2 to 3 times per year, and put on 1000miles per year on that sled. With that set-up and over 2600mi., I'm on my second belt (1st one coming apart at 1850+) get very good fuel range, top speed, and can still do the hills with confidence. Besides normal cleaning and maint, this fall I cleaned the carbs because I found some surprise gunk in them, the sled has cost me no repair$$'s and runs better than new, and rides/handles like a dream.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 146", wanted a sled that would run well at home in marginal snow yet still work in the mountains.

I have found the same thing with the 154" (rented one last year when my track came apart in Valemount), it stayed much more planted when climbing than my 146".

put the camoplast challenger extreme 2.5" in it this year, had it out for a weekend in chappel and it rocked. definite improvement over stock, had a friend with the same sled to compare with on the trip.

I've spoke with you before on the 2.5 on the dootalk teeroy, for this winter mine will stay stock and I will keep investigating my options should I really find I need the 154, but the 2.5 146 is certainly an option. I don't want to hijack this guys thread but I think even with the 2.5 it will want to stand up more vs a 154 but yes I would think it will climb better.

Best thing for me, I guess I could get a nice new 154 skid (timber/holz/another brand) and track and then basically have two options for sleds! Then I can keep the 146 for the girlfriend when I get my next sled.

trials rider

Reaction score
i have a 146 track. i prefer the shorter track for the mountains. i dont do any trail or flat land riding. i find the shorter track more manouverable in the tight stuff. i do a lot of days in deep snow exploring new terain. most of the guys i ride with like the shorter track as well. cant say anyone i ride with has a problem getting around in the deep stuff. think it comes down to personal preference and riding style. i like realy technical terain and jumps and drops so i like the short track. but thats me.

if it works for you now quit worying about it and just ride the thing.

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tryed the xp 154 the other day and didn't like it, I ride a 144 and was thinkin about trading up now I have changed my mind. Felt like there was more track than I need....if ur scared of gettin stuck all the time go with the 154...if u are a skilled rider get the 146....I totally agree with the above post

atvmodster

Reaction score
I would trade straight accross for a 146. If it had close to the same amount of miles and was well taken care of like mine. Does anyone know anyone with a 146 that wishes they bought a 154? I like my sled lots i just think its to much track for this country that i mainly ride in. When i was looking for a used sled i was looking for 144 rev or 146xp and then i found mine and it was a pretty good deal and was hard to pass up.

Top Bottom