09 XP starter pinion gear contacting ring gear at higher RPM?

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took wifes XP for a couple hundred yard dash and noticed some noise coming from the clutch side. Pulled the panel and watched as I burped the throttle, notice sparks from front of clutch. Closer look the starter pinion gear and the overrunning clutch/driver is coming out like when it would be engaging when hitting the button. It don't appear to be spinning as it comes out and isn't meshing with the ring gear, just like its vibrating out. When I start it the pinion gear pulls back in fully so not sure whats up? Thought I would see if anyone has had this happen before I get to many wrenches out. The pinion gear is getting pretty worn as she has not heard any noise lol

Last edited:

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard of this a few times. I understand the spring gets weak over time and allows it to poke out. A new spring or starter seems to be the cure.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was thinking the same, but was thought it would not pull it back on startup either but the gear probably is thrown back out. Should be thawed out good by am to check it out. Thanks

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought some stiffer aftermarket spring a few years back to fix the problem. Can't remember who I got them from but I think he was on dootalk.

Top Bottom