08 MXZ Renegade X 600sdi clutch problems?

IEATSRT

Reaction score
Hey guys, my wifes Renegade is acting up. Sled works great on the hard pack snow, no issues. Get in the deep stuff and it is acting up. Seems like it isn't back shifting properly. Takes quite a while to get up to speed sometimes. Then once speed is up all is good. Let off the gas and let her slow down a bit pin it and she just wants to bog out, won't pull rmp. If you hold it there long enough it will eventually snap out of it. Primary was just rebuilt. What you guys think... secondary spring? Time to take the secondary apart and have a look?

Last edited:

IEATSRT

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, both clutches and belt very hot. Not sure which is hotter primary or secondary can't hold hand on them. Also just put on new belt, no better.

Last edited:

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Gearing? Were you out today in the wet heavy snow? I would gear it down a bit and maybe check clicker position and maybe click it one number higher.....I was out in the powder north of westlock and it was tough pulling through the heavy stuff.....once on top no problems..... although an 800 will do that easier.....if clutch's hot, then gearing and possibly needs 1 gram less in the pin weight....but clicking to a higher number will help diagnose.....

IEATSRT

Reaction score
Thanks duck,

Still stock gearing. I know from the other thread you mentioned take it down two on the top gear haven't got that done yet. Ya was out in the warm weather today trying out the powder pros. Skis are definately day and night, sled performs much better handling wise. So long stock skis. I know it will take a bit more to get up and going in the snow conditions today but she was definately falling on her face sometimes, were talking under 7000 rpm, almost had to get off and push! Really don't think it wasnts to back shift. 2600 km not sure if the secondary has ever been touched so will likely look at that first. I know the 600 sdi has a reputation of not wanting to pull rmp's consistently but it sure seems to me like clutching is to blame. On clicker 4, should only be at 3 for this elevation and when things were good up on top and speed up would hit 8300 sometimes so were good there. Looks like have to take chain case apart and pull top gear to get secondary off, as it comes off with jack shaft? Would be a good time to change that top gear I guess. New plugs, just cleaned raves and on the hard stuff it is running pretty good. On hard pack does seem to hesitate about a 1/4 throttle, but when you push it past it takes right off.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Thanks duck,

Still stock gearing. I know from the other thread you mentioned take it down two on the top gear haven't got that done yet. Ya was out in the warm weather today trying out the powder pros. Skis are definately day and night, sled performs much better handling wise. So long stock skis. I know it will take a bit more to get up and going in the snow conditions today but she was definately falling on her face sometimes, were talking under 7000 rpm, almost had to get off and push! Really don't think it wasnts to back shift. 2600 km not sure if the secondary has ever been touched so will likely look at that first. I know the 600 sdi has a reputation of not wanting to pull rmp's consistently but it sure seems to me like clutching is to blame. On clicker 4, should only be at 3 for this elevation and when things were good up on top and speed up would hit 8300 sometimes so were good there. Looks like have to take chain case apart and pull top gear to get secondary off, as it comes off with jack shaft? Would be a good time to change that top gear I guess. New plugs, just cleaned raves and on the hard stuff it is running pretty good. On hard pack does seem to hesitate about a 1/4 throttle, but when you push it past it takes right off.

The heavy wet snow will really bring the issues out....sounds like gearing too high for the 600, hot clutch's=gearing too tall

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same sled and I changed secondary spring to the summit spring and went to pp/pnk and geared 21-45

IEATSRT

Reaction score
Changed out the secondary spring to another stock one (maybe it was getting weak maybe it was fine), they didn't have a stiffer one at the dealer. There was some black scuffing down low on the secondary sheaves so cleaned that off as well, could have cause the belt to stick down there perhaps. Changed top gear to 20 for now. All was good on test ride couldn't get it to bog out. Pulling about 8000 in the deep stuff so adjused the ckicker up one and should be good to go... hopefully. With new gripper skis on there another problem came to light, sled darting around on harder drifted snow. Skiis were toed IN a quarter inch or or so. Probably never set up correctly from dealer. Thanks for the feedback

One other question, I didn't have a spring compressor so just got dealer to change spring for me. Was looking at secondary when I got home and seen they had alignment markes (arrows) on sheaves matching up, however the arrow on the helix is at 6 oclock to the sheave arrows. It is in there right according to the rollers and sides of the helix they are supposed to roll on, but should it be turned 180 to match the alignment marks on the sheaves?

Last edited:
Top Bottom