08 m1000 crankshaft/primary clutch (pictures) HELP!!

h.karst

Reaction score
If you can't find me check your moms house
ok so i just bought an 08 m1000 from a dealer, the first time i took it out the machine got stuck in reverse (i posted about this earlier) i put in a new ccu and cleaned out the servo motor, and everything ran well. second time taking it out this past weekend, i got aabout 2 kms down the trail and the primary clutch snapped off the crankshaft. wasnt driving hard or fast at all. trying to figure out the reason for this? in the close up picture you can see that the crank was rusted. so it must have been cracked prior to me purchasing, which would probably explain the "good" deal i got on it.... does anyone have suggestions on where to go from here replace the motor? rebuild? go after dealer for the costs? any suggestions would be great

Woodlands County-20131123-00146.jpg Woodlands County-20131123-00147.jpg Woodlands County-20131123-00148.jpg Woodlands County-20131124-00158.jpg

Attachments

• Woodlands County-20131123-00149.jpg
    Woodlands County-20131123-00149.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 255

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd personally be paying that dealership a visit.... Cause holy crap must have been seriously unbalanced to have snaped the shaft.

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks big time. Did you notice the nice gouge taken out of the secondary from the impact? I don't know what to tell you. It might be easier to part it out and buy another one.

I had the same thought... I'd cut my loses and part it out.

h.karst

Reaction score
I'd personally be paying that dealership a visit.... Cause holy crap must have been seriously unbalanced to have snaped the shaft.

no i didnt notice the gouge in the secondary..... thats sucks haha. but yea when the machine got stuck in reverse and i talked to the guy who sold it to me, his response was "thats too bad the sled was in good condition when it left here" so im thinking hes not gonna say much about this, i mean i know its used but youd think you could trust a dealer especailly when they say right on their website that all units are serviced and inspected..... ive got about 5 kms of riding in and spent 6 g's on the sled... im not the kind of guy who has $$$ to just go buy a new one so very frustrating!! is it worth it to rebuild?

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
no i didnt notice the gouge in the secondary..... thats sucks haha. but yea when the machine got stuck in reverse and i talked to the guy who sold it to me, his response was "thats too bad the sled was in good condition when it left here" so im thinking hes not gonna say much about this, i mean i know its used but youd think you could trust a dealer especailly when they say right on their website that all units are serviced and inspected..... ive got about 5 kms of riding in and spent 6 g's on the sled... im not the kind of guy who has $$$ to just go buy a new one so very frustrating!! is it worth it to rebuild?

You might be able to call them on the servicing. If they had put a puller in the primary the force to pop the clutch would have snapped the crank off judging by the rust. I would call them all nice like and ask if you should clean the clutch or not to worry about it if it is part of the service the sled received. If they say they cleaned it then you got them in a lie.

h.karst

Reaction score
You might be able to call them on the servicing. If they had put a puller in the primary the force to pop the clutch would have snapped the crank off judging by the rust. I would call them all nice like and ask if you should clean the clutch or not to worry about it if it is part of the service the sled received. If they say they cleaned it then you got them in a lie.

yea good idea! they were closed today so ill be chattin with them tomorrow about this. ill keep posting as to what comes out of this mess....

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honeslty even if its was worth a rebuild you never know what other damage may have happened. I would be super pissed off at them for lying cause there is no way it was "serviced" I almost got screwed over by a dealer once but I over heard the salesmen talking to his boss saying that I wad fully aware of the damage on the sled. I was not aware of it so I walked out of there and never went back...By the way that dealership is reck tech in Lloyd...

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That is a good idea.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top link is the one I have for sale. Was gonna build up my m1000 turbo but bought one from smokindave with everything I wanted to do already on it!

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also it would be a good idea to inspect the outside case of the diamond drive it will also have a hairline crack in the snout. And with that going un noticed it could cost you the new clutches that you'll throw on.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been there before,my 08 did the same exact thing back in 08.
My warranty did cover it and they replaced the whole motor and both clutches.
There were issues for the 07/08 and was fixed with better casting for 09 - 10.
Mine had the exact same rust on the break to so its doubtful the original owner new.
I do have a brand new crate motor on its way here.
I wasn't planning on selling it but I won't need it for this season but would have to get 2650.00 out of it if you are interested.
Good luck!

h.karst

Reaction score
thanks to everyone who replied. so i didnt blow up on the guy who sold it to me today, i simply asked for the inspection checklist (below) so does anyone think i have a case here??? i haven't even told the dealer what happened yet as i wanted to get my ducks in a row before a try getting something out of the dealer to cover the costs.... what do you guys think? Strathcona County-20131126-00161.jpg

Attachments

• Strathcona County-20131126-00159.jpg
    Strathcona County-20131126-00159.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a start. I would ask them what "inspect drivers for signs of wear and damage" and "inspect clutches and all clutch components for signs of wear and proper operation" means and how exactly they do this and if they pull and disassemble the primary. I would ask them a bunch of other things too because if they have half a brain they should know something is fishy. Maybe tell them you have a buddy looking at a sled and since both of you are new to Arctic Cat you are wondering how to look the sled over real good.

MrHankey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless it had a wicked vibration.how would anyone tell that the crank had a hairline crack without actually looking for it? I think you should just up front and hope that they will do the right thing

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They probably did not know. But if they inspected the sled like they claim they should have come very close to stumbling across it. I would be nice and civil when confronting them but I would also want as much info into their polices and procedures regarding used sleds before I talked to them.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no way to tell if a crank is ready to break. The rust on the one picture is from after the break. The other pictures dont show rust. Even the gouge in the the primary has rust in it. Fresh metal rust quick. The dealer could have checked clutches for wear without removing it. Even if they had it off you cant tell if is was cracked. It broke after you bought it. That said i would still go back to the dealer and give him the chance to make it right.. You probably have $3500 in damage. Sled is only worth $5000 in good running condition. Hopefully dealer will work with you and maybe give you parts at cost.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry but now that I seen what dealer you got if from I say your screwed. You wont get a penny out of him. Btw those clutches are real dirty. ****ty deal man.

Top Bottom