07 X-RS 800R Belt Life

Cannonc

Reaction score
I bought a new X-RS (awesome sled) I seem to be having problems with belts exploding after a short time. 1st belt lasted 105km second lasted 170 km,both of these belts were brp belts.Third belt is a ultimax three it has been rotated as the spare belt on both occassions has not seen the same use (breaking trail) as other belts.Is this normal for Ski-Doos? A friend also bought the same machine and he has also gone through belt. If any one can help thank you in advance :)

P.S Both sleds did not come with V- Force reeds as orignally Expected.

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
I bought a new X-RS (awesome sled) I seem to be having problems with belts exploding after a short time. 1st belt lasted 105km second lasted 170 km,both of these belts were brp belts.Third belt is a ultimax three it has been rotated as the spare belt on both occassions has not seen the same use (breaking trail) as other belts.Is this normal for Ski-Doos? A friend also bought the same machine and he has also gone through belt. If any one can help thank you in advance :)

P.S Both sleds did not come with V- Force reeds as orignally Expected.
Hmmmm, not normal. Get 1500 km of use out of our fleet. We have 04, 2 05's, an 06 and the problem child 07 800R. Finally got the clutching figured out with a Dalton kit. No more over rev or low peak RPM in deep snow. You didn't mention performance issues, just belt life, if the clutches aren't working right, the belt will die. See your dealer, he should have the latest bulletin from BRP.

Good luck, check out Dootalk for the latest.

Cannonc

Reaction score
No problems with preformance at all with sled. Iwas just wondering how much it is going to cost to operate.I have another Q.
Is there a huge performance difference between factory belts (BRP) and say a Ultimax 3 belt?
Once again thanks in advance!:D

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
No problems with preformance at all with sled. Iwas just wondering how much it is going to cost to operate.I have another Q.
Is there a huge performance difference between factory belts (BRP) and say a Ultimax 3 belt?
Once again thanks in advance!:D
All we use is BRP. Better or worse? Probably not but belt flex and rubber density affect clutching. When we get the D$#^ things dialed don't mess with it.

Check peak RPM, adjust with clutch numbers if necessary, take it back if no improvement for a clutch alignment check. Not normal.

c3burn

Reaction score
There may be a problem with your clutching. It has been posted all over the net of people having issues with the clutching on the 07. Apparently the tolerances on the drive clutch is too tight and the clutch doesn't shift properly causing a fluctuations in the rpm, which crates heat and then damages the belt. BRP has issued a buletin on this

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Becareful when using harder aftermarket belts. Some after market belts are definately designed to last a long time, but you will probably find they will wear groves into the pully surfaces of the clutches much sooner than you would like. They are just too hard. Plus in some cases they are hard enough to slip more and that will mean a performance problem. I am leary of aftermarket belts and even though OE belts cost more I pretty much trust they won't make them so hard as to wear the clutches. Plus, like MXOldtimer said, your setup is tuned around a certain type of belt and that will make you need to be consistant with belts.

My 03 summit 600HO would burn a belt every time I went to the mountains, but the stock belt didn't look very substantial for a 129hp stock sled. I also had the clutched checked and serviced a few times to look for problems there. I was fine on trails but long pulls in the mountains would distruct it pretty fast (maybe not that day but with in a few 100km of riding back home). I am using the belt from the 04 800 Rev now (same clutches on the 03 600 and 04 800, and all the geometry from the belt is the same). The 800 belt has some kevlar in it and it looks stronger, it has ribs on the top side which help cool it, and cost about twice as much of course. It has been working out great for me though - I just can't run the 600HO belt with the way I drive it.

I think it's normal to get a few 1000km out of a belt if you treat it right and everything is working well - some people get 4000km but thats a little outside of normal. A few hundred definatly means some type of problem. If it's not clutching, it can also be heat. A little heat will tear up a belt bad - they get too soft when they are warm. Make sure you have enough venting on the belt side. If you are working it in deep thick stuff at low speed (ie. possibly when you break trails) you might also be building up excessive heat on the belt from too little air flow. It could be the fact that you do this more often than what the designers of the sled expected the average person to do; this means you might have to add additional venting for cooling the belt to accomodate for the way you use your sled. Also, one reason a belt will fail from clutching problems is because the setup is allowing in the clutch to slip the belt (as evident from your over revs) and that makes the heat that will fail the belt. Adding cooling to this in this case is treating a symptom but the wrong problem. Could be in the end though you may do both.

Also, if you ever burn a spot into the belt like if you leave your parking break on or get hung up on something, the belt will almost always fail right away after that. I burned the belt out of the wifes 800 grand touring twice. I was getting stuck on the ramp, the first time I thought the sled wasn't running right (just seamed like it had no power). The second time I realized there is a spot where my carbides can hang up on the ramp. A little puff of smoke and that's it, it's done. 100 to 200km later the belt flies apart.

You may know this but it's worth mentioning, a belt has to be broke in before you work it hard; that means about 50-100km of normal trail ridding at different speeds before you put the screws to it. The surface has to wear a bit to get a good mate up to your clutch, if not is it willl have less contact area, slip under heavy load and slip makes a lot of heat real fast and you know the rest. I have seen people in the mountains that don't break in their spare, and if they have a belt failure they almost can't get back out on an un-broken in belt. That means breaking the new one in before it's put away as a spare. When I go up I ask people if they have broken their spare and if not I get them to change it and at least ride the trail up with it.

Hope you find your problem.

wheew, good thing I type fast.
:)

poorman

Reaction score
I have found on my last 4 doo's that they are geared too high and once I gear them down belt life is almost doubled.This and any sort of extra vent/cooling for those clutches is recomended. As well make sure the plastic piece covering the clutches is taken off.

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
clutch cover removal

I have found on my last 4 doo's that they are geared too high and once I gear them down belt life is almost doubled.This and any sort of extra vent/cooling for those clutches is recomended. As well make sure the plastic piece covering the clutches is taken off.

Hi Poorman, I have an 07 adr 800R and have heard some folks say that in powder the snow gets inside and causes belt-slippage. any thoughts ?:confused:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an '06 summit adr and didn't even know that there was a plastic clutch cover (Echo removed it before I took delivery). I had them put the intake sock as well as the cloth snow filters on all the vents. Over 1800 Kms and have been in plenty of deep snow and haven't had any belt slippage problems. Changed out my first belt yesterday, still good, using it as a backup but want a new one broke in for the next trip to the hills

summit.n.e.

Reaction score
07 xrs

another thing to watch for is the bolt's on the y pipe
had all of mine back out after about 500 km :rant:
buddy has same sled and his backed out at about 400km :rant:

also at about 350 km i had one plug wire blow apart :rant:
dealer had never seen this before they replaced the wire's and the coil :)

skidoo know's all about the problem's
as well as changes to the clutch
dealers will handle them for you

Cat Gone Doo

Reaction score
We have two and are not having a problem but i know some are. Putting a vent on the clutch side makes a huge difference. Some thing must be out on yours. They do take some tweeking to get them right. Find a good dealer to set it up and it will rock. We run the Doo belts they came with. Have needed to try anything else.

Cannonc

Reaction score
i fixed my problem.I put a polaris primary complete with ring gear.No more belt issues.I also put ducks floating secondary.Might have to add more wieght though.Even thinking about gearing up to let it stretch its legs.:)

Top Bottom