04 Rev Seized Engine

_Stevo_

Reaction score
So i was out ditch bangin with my 04 Rev 800 151 with 1800miles on it and the engine sized on me. The sled was running Great then just nothing. The engine is bone stock any ideas on what might have happend? Do these 800s have an issue common in these older Revs?

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: 04 Rev Sized Engine

Check your reed boots.Friggin garbage from 02-05,rubber boots delamb or crack letting in uncontolled amount of air the she goes BANG.

_Stevo_

Reaction score

ok ill check it out. Any other posibilitys???

Dr. Meatman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

wont know much till you pull your top end off....theres a plethera of things that could go wrong with it...

what happened up to engine failure? rev and die? just die? was it cutting out at all up to engine failure? did it turn over until it came to a stop or did it just stop and gave you teh feeling of going over your handlebars...if you had an air leak it should have been coughin and cuttin out a bit, no oil it would get hot and predet causing a spike in Rs, thermostat going bad may cause it to run rough due to the high heat generating in the motor

Dr. Meatman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

check your reed pedals, rings, and crank bearings....if it just went poof sounds like something went out/broke and whammy new cylinder

dirtball08

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

On mine, engine blew 3 times. 2 under warrenty- 1 bad piston and rings, 2crank bearing failed both times on pto side, and 3 cracked reed boots. Approx 6000 kms on sled, not a very good avg 2000 kms per engine but what a machine to ride!:)

_Stevo_

Reaction score

so here is the deal... The Rod bearing on the chaincase side just blew in to peices. There was a good coating of oil on the crank and rods but i have no clue why the bering would have gone. pistons and cylendars are still in good shape. i guess new rods and crank. Also i wanna put on a new expantion chamber on 2 choices SLP or CPI? I already have a Specialty X can. What do you guys think i should do?

Semi Extreme

Reaction score

so here is the deal... The Rod bearing on the chaincase side just blew in to peices. There was a good coating of oil on the crank and rods but i have no clue why the bering would have gone. pistons and cylendars are still in good shape. i guess new rods and crank. Also i wanna put on a new expantion chamber on 2 choices SLP or CPI? I already have a Specialty X can. What do you guys think i should do?

Hey, I am really curious, Did you check the Carb. boots out closely ? I was out riding just before we got this cold snap here in the Loops and noticed my 05 HO wuz runnin a little lean. I took it easy on it that day and a few days later leaving the sled in the back of the truck in the cold(-25c give or take) I figured I better unload it ...wouldn't start...so I checked it over and saw a lil wet spot on the bottom of the PTO side reed boot.
After reading about all these sleds burning down from delaminating rubber, I went out and got two new ones (dealer had then in stock @ $80 a piece) and then took the old ones out, sure enough....both boots where pooched.
>BUT the reason it didn't start over all...turned out to be the tether key<:rolleyes:

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You got lucky,You must have been a good boy this year.What a rip off 80 $ each,they should be warrenty,almost every boot from 02- 06 is GARBAGE.Then if your reeds are chipping that is another 125$ for 2 of 8 reed pedals needed.And this is for Stock parts you can by V force or Boyesens Rage cage(just got this year) for cheaper .

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My stock boots on my 05 were coming apart also. Put V-Force in, they made a huge difference in throttle response.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Check the crank seal on the pto side... These are notorious for popping out and causing engine damage. Also the reed boots are very common.... The pto side boot gets all the severe heat and is usually the boot that cracks(i just replaced them on my '04 summit 151" 800 too). Those are the 2 common problems.

_Stevo_

Reaction score
Yep!!! The side that had the Rod bearing go was the side with the bad boot. So you guys are saying that because the boot was f--ked the one cylender was running lean and that took out the bearing?

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the crank seal on the pto side... These are notorious for popping out and causing engine damage. Also the reed boots are very common.... The pto side boot gets all the severe heat and is usually the boot that cracks(i just replaced them on my '04 summit 151" 800 too). Those are the 2 common problems.

ya check the crank seel.. i hope its not that bad sorry to hear

_Stevo_

Reaction score
I was hard to tell if the boot was bad at first then i started to pull the outer linning off and noticed the one corner was cracked just about threw but im sure it wasnt all the way. Could it be that the oil injection line to the block was froze off?

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was hard to tell if the boot was bad at first then i started to pull the outer linning off and noticed the one corner was cracked just about threw but im sure it wasnt all the way. Could it be that the oil injection line to the block was froze off?

Its very possible, I always mix a little oil in with the first tank of the year just to make sure. I give the oil module time to clear out. Its a little smokey for the first tank.

Semi Extreme

Reaction score

You got lucky,You must have been a good boy this year.What a rip off 80 $ each,they should be warrenty,almost every boot from 02- 06 is GARBAGE.Then if your reeds are chipping that is another 125$ for 2 of 8 reed pedals needed.And this is for Stock parts you can by V force or Boyesens Rage cage(just got this year) for cheaper .

Ya I am sure karma had something to do with it , maybe me finding $20 bucs in the door way the other day at the local gas station and giving it to a guy who looked like he lost it ? Anyway...this boot issue i'm sure has pissed many people off and sure is sick the way skidoo woudn't do a recall of some sort.

I would have got the aftermarket reeds if I could...But...

The engine in my sled has 3300km's on it now and I am hoping to get through the season...tick ...tick ...tick ...tick...:plugears:

_Stevo_

Reaction score
Yeah i dont know what really happend but i do know the Crank will be like a month before i get my new one. And v-force reeds for sure are on there way. I Guess i will go get a 1200 today so i have somthing to ride over christmas.

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah i dont know what really happend but i do know the Crank will be like a month before i get my new one. And v-force reeds for sure are on there way. I Guess i will go get a 1200 today so i have somthing to ride over christmas.

I like the way you think. Maybe i should break mine....

Semi Extreme

Reaction score

Looks like all of us who own these sleds should learn to do pressure tests on a regular basis eh or what ?:beer:

Top Bottom