02 Summit 700 Freezing Fuel Line Help

djpred

Reaction score
My summit has got water somewhere in the fuel system. When I leave it sit outside for a while when it is really cold, and i try to start it, it will run for about 8 seconds, then die. It has spark, so I am assuming that there is water freezing a line off somewhere. If i leave it inside, and keep it warm while I ride, it dose not happen. I have ran about 5 tanks of fuel through it since it started having the problem, but it still freezes off. I have tried water remover. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help!

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it could be sitting in the bottom of the bowls you might have to pull your carbs and clean them out... there is a good write up on dootalk with pictures and step by step instructions on pulling these carbs if you search.

darcy 71

Reaction score
might be your carb slides are closed to much might have to open them up 1/8 to 1/4 inch this will only happen in the cold weather.This will help with making it idle smoother.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't know if this is your problem, but what happened when mine was showing the same symtoms ('01 'Doo) was the fuel intake tube was broken off at the grommet going into the tank. the water had built up inside the tank (from condensation I assume) to the bottom of the grommet. so it would suck up a bit of water along with the fuel until the water froze off somewhere. I finally pulled the fuel tank off and drained it into a bucket and put it outside. next day there was 4 inches of ice in the bottom of the bucket, almost 2 gallons of water was in the tank. drained the carbs, replaced the pickup line and foot valve, dumped a little isopropyl in and I was off to the races.

shine a flashlight into the bottom of the tank, the tube comes in at the right front corner as you're sitting on the sled. might not be the problem, but it was a head scratcher for me until I figured it out...lol. happened just as I was trying to sell it. had it inside and it would fire up right away, as soon as it would pull out of the shop it would run for a minute or so and die in front of the dude looking at it. not great for selling...good luck.

Doo799

Reaction score
I had a similar problem before and I believe that sled has an automatic fuel shutoff built in to the fuel pump that opens with pulse of the engine. The sled I worked on had water in that area and wouldn't let the fuel to pass through the pump.The shutoff has a spring and plunger and allows the shutoff to open with water in it but as soon as it freezes it won't allow fuel to pass. I happened to take off the pump when it was still frozen and could see what was happening.

djpred

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I think it has something to do with water in the bowls, or the fuel pump. i am going to drain the bowls, and put some gas line antifreeze in it and see what happens. I am just a little worried about the fuel pump. It is way up under the engine. how do i get it out?

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I think it has something to do with water in the bowls, or the fuel pump. i am going to drain the bowls, and put some gas line antifreeze in it and see what happens. I am just a little worried about the fuel pump. It is way up under the engine. how do i get it out?

Had the same problem on my 03 800 as was said found water in the fuel pump auto shut off . Remove air box and if you are going to take the carbs off or lift the out of the way then you can get at the fuel pump only a hours job. When mine was doing it brought it in the garage warm it up and it would start. Fuel deicer will not get the moisture out where it is freezeing. Hope this helps.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem before and I believe that sled has an automatic fuel shutoff built in to the fuel pump that opens with pulse of the engine. The sled I worked on had water in that area and wouldn't let the fuel to pass through the pump.The shutoff has a spring and plunger and allows the shutoff to open with water in it but as soon as it freezes it won't allow fuel to pass. I happened to take off the pump when it was still frozen and could see what was happening.
if this ^^^ guy says that's the problem, you can pretty much take it to the bank......good to see ya post once in a while Mitch. hope you had a good Christmas... :beer:

djpred

Reaction score
Ya, I am going to get at that fuel pump. I am sure that is the problem. Thank you all for your help!

Doo799

Reaction score
if this ^^^ guy says that's the problem, you can pretty much take it to the bank......good to see ya post once in a while Mitch. hope you had a good Christmas... :beer:
Thanxs Troy hope you had a good xmas also and have a happy new year!

sledd boy

Reaction score
sounds like water in the fuel there is a magnetic shut off in the fuel pump it is the lowest point in the system and it frezzes shut. run iceapropal alcohol in the gas. not the cheap kind If this happens heat up the fuel pump hair drier if you can if not tin can propaine torch boil snow water dump the hot stuff over the fuel pump and go

djpred

Reaction score
I tried antifreeze, water remover, everything, nothing worked. So, I pulled the pump out. When i got it on the bench and took it apart I found a very oddly placed ice cube in it. I decided to remove it. Although I have not yet reassembled my machine, I am sure that it will solve my problems. Is it unreasonable to question the effectiveness of water remover and gas line antifreeze? I have had about 5 tanks of fuel through it. How can that water not pass through? weird I think.

Doo799

Reaction score
Gas line antifreeze or fuel does not pass through that part of the pump its only open to pulse from the engine which won't have antifreeze but I think on some it has a vent that allows moisture in. Hope you solved your problem.

Top Bottom