02 660 grizzly mods

tbosch

Reaction score
I'm thinking about installing a small lift kit and a full snorkel kit on my 02 grizzly. Is there anything I should be concerned about, like tippiness with the lift or air flow issues with the snorkel? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'm working with a tight budget so I want to ensure I do it right the first time.

Bryle

Reaction score
I'm thinking about installing a small lift kit and a full snorkel kit on my 02 grizzly. Is there anything I should be concerned about, like tippiness with the lift or air flow issues with the snorkel? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'm working with a tight budget so I want to ensure I do it right the first time.

I put a snorkel on my 04 grizz 660, and had the same concern. I didn't use anything less than 2" diameter pipe and i have not had any issues.:beer:

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to sure about the grizz but on my Kawi, I had to point the ends of my snorkel forward instead of back because at higher speeds (above 60km) the wind would suck air out of the snorkel and cause the engine to bog. The BF is a carb, I never had this problem with my rzr efi though.

Bryle

Reaction score
I put a snorkel on my 04 grizz 660, and had the same concern. I didn't use anything less than 2" diameter pipe and i have not had any issues.:beer:
1.jpg
The snorkel kit i bought for the carb, came with a 2" inlet, i replaced it with a 3" just to make sure i wouldn't starve the engine of air.
2.jpg
I also extended the vent lines for the carb and front/rear diffs, and ran them up the carb snorkel.
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
The intake and exhaust snorkels for the clutch i made myself ( it was easy and kits restrict down to smaller sizes to clear the carb and air box. there also expensive) to avoid having to restrict down i ran one snorkel out around the clutch housing( you have to use system 636 gas venting pvc (the white pipe) as it's heat resistant because it's close to the muffler) it's not really pretty but i made it to come apart by using 2" rubber couplings with muffler clamps to allow for easy maintenance on the clutch/belt as well as oil filter changes, carb tuning and such.

I know i rambled a bit but i hope that this helped. also if your going to install a lift kit, you need extra heavy axle's on the rear end or you will just break your axles/ cv joints.:beer::beer:

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that intake snorkel must be a ball buster, it's located in an area I would never think someone would mount one:confused::confused:

mudhunter

Reaction score
One mod that's inexpensive and worth it's weight is an inline switch for your fan. On very hot days or if you suspect your rad is overly dirty you can toggle your fan to constant on when you are riding hard... (to get you back to camp or home to take care of it) I had heating issues a few trips back due to insufficient cleaning of the rad.. It's a nice option to have.. A buddy did his BF 750 and I'm carving mine in next service..

IMO I'd put your snorkel together with parts from the hardware store instead of the pre-built kits. You'll save yourself a pile, and with the net for research and this web-site you should be able to get tons of usefull info.

Good luck with it..

Mudhunter

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the love of god dont run a snorkel on your 660 up your crotch.

use Marine hose to run it all. make a lid or have one made up so you can run Marine exhaust hose for it all to the front. it will look much better and you wont smash your balls when you land hard off some whoops.

that said how much of a lift do you want? it will get tippy.

you might just want to do new springs and a rear hub flip and see how that feels.

cookgio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know you can buy a two inch lift that extends your shock mount bracket and it works great and not tippy at all and i is under $120 ca and as for the snorkel ya don't put it but your junk just go buy an assortment of pvc pipe bends and some straight stuff and pre fit it to the way you like it and then once you have it the way you like it glue it or clam it, the hardest part is going to be the airbox lid depending on how yu are going to do the lid but if you can get a piece of rubber to seal good and tight over the intake then do it that way, anyways good luck and if you do alot of mudding the best mod you could do is relocating your rad to the front rack it is easy and all you have to do is extend the wire for the fan and get longer rad hoses. oh yeah don't forget to seal your airbox lid with silacone and put dialectric grease in all the electric connections that will go under water. well thats all i can think of now but any questions don't hessatate to ask.

Bryle

Reaction score
For the love of god dont run a snorkel on your 660 up your crotch.

use Marine hose to run it all. make a lid or have one made up so you can run Marine exhaust hose for it all to the front. it will look much better and you wont smash your balls when you land hard off some whoops.

that said how much of a lift do you want? it will get tippy.

you might just want to do new springs and a rear hub flip and see how that feels.

Yes it is not the best placement for the snorkel, but i don't mind it to much. I find that i would smash my nuttz on the gas tank any how.. LoL:d:d
the main reason i did it this way was to not restrict anything, and it was simple. the less fittings you have the fewer leak points there are.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess i need to go take some pictures of how i ran my snorkel system.

where is that damn camera

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
basically this mod is all Marine exhaust hose . its tough enough to not collapse on you and its soft enough to run through tight spots and bend.

i used 90's and 45's where needed to get it lined up.

i ran PVC only at the stacks so i had something solid up there i actually Adapted the marine hose into a fitting that adapted to the pvc stacks. and i precisely cut 4 holes in the lid under that metal plate and 4 holes into the metal plate to make them stand strait.

then i cut the stacks even and as high as i wanted them and capped them with a 90. and silicone them on so i can take them off if i ever need to remove the covers /racks again and then i just pull the rack / plastic cover strait up and over the stacks.

and the air box lid is just a plate with some 1 1/2 pipe welded as you can see so hose can adapt to it. some silicone to seal it and bolted to the top of the lid. if you cant see the 1 1/2 pipe its pointed down wards to slip under the gas tank.

gone deep

Reaction score
It all depends on how high your are thinking. I dont lift mine because i dont like breaking drive line parts. The only problem ive had with snorkels is carb jetting most people corn cobb the job by cutting holes in the gas tank cover i caped off the factory inlet and made my own so i could run the tubes up a long with inlet for belt drive. hope this helps

Top Bottom