010 summit 800 stock clutching good/bad??

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay guys looking for a little info. I have looked at alot of sites to see what evrybody is doing it appears that DJ kits are good but what are you guys seeing different compared to the stock setup??

are you getting a better backshift/upshift(probably because DJ is probably running more angles on the helix)

are you getting longer belt life?
are your clutches staying cooler compared to stock?
is the shift curve holding straighter?

etc,etc,etc

Just trying to make a decision before i go out and spend 300 bucks or just keep the stock kit as i try to hit the hills 4 times a year.

any helpm greatly appreciated

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay guys looking for a little info. I have looked at alot of sites to see what evrybody is doing it appears that DJ kits are good but what are you guys seeing different compared to the stock setup??

are you getting a better backshift/upshift(probably because DJ is probably running more angles on the helix)

are you getting longer belt life?
are your clutches staying cooler compared to stock?
is the shift curve holding straighter?

etc,etc,etc

Just trying to make a decision before i go out and spend 300 bucks or just keep the stock kit as i try to hit the hills 4 times a year.

any helpm greatly appreciated
back shift is quicker
engagment sooner.
changed belt a 700 miles and still fine, its now a good spare.
I also have the mtn ramps, a tad more Ooomp on the top end.
Keep clickers on 4 and can rev to 8300 :d:d:d

Reaction score
Stock clutching is comparable to all season tires, clutching to your specific riding (mountain, saskatchewan trail/lake etc.) is like putting studded winter tires or mudders. The Dj kits are a great investment and sled performance is best bang for buck.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock clutching is comparable to all season tires, clutching to your specific riding (mountain, saskatchewan trail/lake etc.) is like putting studded winter tires or mudders. The Dj kits are a great investment and sled performance is best bang for buck.

Great analogy. This is just my thinking. Mountain sled clutching is more than likely set up for the mountains. I know that it is set up for 6-9000feet so i just was thinking that it should be calibrated pretty close. If you guys are seeing a huge reduction in heat build up and or belt life is lengthened. Than yes it is a definite item to purchase.

Any idea what angle of helix the DJ clutch kit has in it?

As for myself I can do all the mods to make it work at 2000ft (Regina)

:beer:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any idea what angle of helix the DJ clutch kit has in it?
Joey's helix has a starting angle, about 3 spiral curves in the middle, and an ending angle....all proprietary. It is a wide spread from start to finish, I know that. (like a 60/40 progressive angle...sort of)

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 2010 seems to have way better stock clutching than my 09. I was on a 2010 a few times last year and it definitely pulls harder.

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just put a dual elevation kit in from DJ's. Kit comes with adjustable weight set, two primary springs and a new helix. I have just put the primary stuff in for now. I want to wait until I have the the sled broke in before I put the helix in so I can get a true feel of how the sled runs. Kinda like a before and after.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have DJ's mountain set up, and its good. Its simple to install, his knowledge on clutching is great. Running Joey's product really leaves the guess work out as he has done a great job.

There are lots of different set ups out there. I'm really interested to see how my buddies recent clutching change is going to work. Its not a big name clutching set up, but I think its going to work well.

There are others out there. Cudney, Roosterbuilt, and so on.

Dynamo^Joe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Joey's helix has a starting angle, about 3 spiral curves in the middle, and an ending angle....all proprietary. It is a wide spread from start to finish, I know that. (like a 60/40 progressive angle...sort of)

Dale Toole owner of DALTON explains about my helix's.

I'll start with something with a set of angles that i'll send Dale; then start to stretch it out here n there, sometimes even getting into a step angle that transition into a blend of angles or curves.

I make a drawing with start and end points in inches and fax em' off to Corey the programmer and voila....
a whole shelf full of helix's that are from ok to good to real good yet I'll never use - and end up with one or two that work great.

Top Bottom