Xdeck mod to 5'5" f150 shorty box

NO LIMIT

Reaction score
Hi All

Has anybody done the mod to make a 7' XDECK fit into a F150 5'5" Shorty Box?
So what is entailed? It looks like the channel the legs are on unbolts then you would cut the channel to fit weld it back together and redrill the holes to remount the legs, sound about right? Is there any thing else that has to be cut or modded? Ramp need to be cut aswell?
Dealers are not being of much help.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
shouldn't have a deck on a 1/2 ton you will be over weight with 2 sleds.

NO LIMIT

Reaction score
It would be close for weight with 2 at around 1200 lbs allowed, but it is only for one sled/quad for work. I would trailer for #2. I have to carry a sled or quad at all time for work and still need some space for other junk. I just switched from a F350 to a F150 Raptor, couldn't help myself the Raptor is awesome!

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your local regs on overlength issues as well, if you have a long track sled it will be a major issue.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
D.O.T. said you can have something sticking out of your truck box 1.5 meters(AB) or 1.2 meters (BC) past the tail lights BEFORE you require lights. (I called them on this in the fall).

Last edited:

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
D.O.T. said you can have something sticking out of your truck box 1.5 meters(AB) or 1.2 meters (BC) past the tail lights. (I called them on this in the fall).
My sled is 11'4" tip to tail, on a 5'5" box that leaves almost 2 metres overhang. js

PS94

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IIRC, the raptor is only rated for 900lbs.

what did you get? I got me a '12 Blue Flame S-Crew with decals and blue interior accents...

NO LIMIT

Reaction score
Hey
I got a 12 Race Red SCREW with every thing but Blue accents...not avaliable on the red.
Just checked spec sheet 1020 lbs pay load capacity on SCREW. 1 Sled or Quad and deck...should be under. Just need some one that has done the mod to do some posting...I know your out there!
I have heard they have been done, I know my welder will figure it out but I would like to hear if there are some do's and don'ts on this re-mod.

jlieske1

Reaction score
Hi All

Has anybody done the mod to make a 7' XDECK fit into a F150 5'5" Shorty Box?
So what is entailed? It looks like the channel the legs are on unbolts then you would cut the channel to fit weld it back together and redrill the holes to remount the legs, sound about right? Is there any thing else that has to be cut or modded? Ramp need to be cut aswell?
Dealers are not being of much help.
XDecks are easy to make fit to a 5'6 box. Like you said you unbolt the legs and you can actually cut out a section of the I beam so it just bolts right back together (no drilling) and then cut and drill the ramp and your good to go. I did mine at the start of the year and it was super easy, I did take pictures, I just can't get them to upload right now.

jlieske1

Reaction score
shouldn't have a deck on a 1/2 ton you will be over weight with 2 sleds.
I hauled 2 sleds a bunch of times this winter with no problems or hassles from DOT. I have air bags and 10 ply tires, which covers the basic limiting capabilities of a half ton and it looks right driving down the road and it handled fine.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hauled 2 sleds a bunch of times this winter with no problems or hassles from DOT. I have air bags and 10 ply tires, which covers the basic limiting capabilities of a half ton and it looks right driving down the road and it handled fine.

Did you put 3/4 or 1 ton brakes on the truck as well? Its not about looking right, riding smooth or acceleration; more about stopping before the vehicle that turned in front of you is embedded in your grille.

jlieske1

Reaction score
Did you put 3/4 or 1 ton brakes on the truck as well? Its not about looking right, riding smooth or acceleration; more about stopping before the vehicle that turned in front of you is embedded in your grille.
It's not a race. Brakes worked just fine.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are allowed to haul a 2000lb trailer with no brakes as well.

Yes a 2000lb TRAILER. Trailer weight is behind you and not above the rear wheels. Put a couple sleds on the deck and thats transfers the weight to the rear of the truck. And how much braking do the front brakes provide? And how much braking can they provide if the front tires are almost of the ground because you have all the weight hanging 6' off the back of the truck?

I also disagree that tires and airbags help. One of the huge differences between a half ton and a one ton is axles. Big difference between semi floating and full floating axles.

Your an idiot and a danger to other users of the road

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Yes a 2000lb TRAILER. Trailer weight is behind you and not above the rear wheels. Put a couple sleds on the deck and thats transfers the weight to the rear of the truck. And how much braking do the front brakes provide? And how much braking can they provide if the front tires are almost of the ground because you have all the weight hanging 6' off the back of the truck?

I also disagree that tires and airbags help. One of the huge differences between a half ton and a one ton is axles. Big difference between semi floating and full floating axles.

Your an idiot and a danger to other users of the road

This debate is getting so old its drivin me nuts...in the 70's we used half tons to pull what we do today with 1 tons. Today, for those of us that pull commercially, we pull with a 1-ton what a midliner semi used to haul back in the early 80's.

I am in no way arguing for one side or the other, just adding some thoughts to the whole mess of arguments. And what is a full floating axle? Do you mean a 'solid' axle, as comes in a Dodge or Ford? Because if you do, then your argument is doesnt make a lot of sense since Chev 2500 and 3500 trucks dont use solid front axles...

And why DONT airbags help? I agree they dont increase your hauling capacity, but would they not transfer weight back to the front axle as they level the loaded truck? That is half the concept of load levelling bars for holiday trailers...Good debate could be had about this I think

Do I think its a good idea based on the size of the box in a Raptor? No I agree, just throwing some ideas out there...

Again, Im not even wading into the debate...just trying to clarify what is being said

Last edited:

Bandit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Full floating axle refers to the design of the rear differential. Full floating means the weight of the vehicle is carried by two bearings riding on a spindle. The axle doesnt support any weight, it is solely for propelling the vehicle. Seen on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.
Semi-floating is found on pretty much all half tons and lighter. The axle supports the entire weight of the vehicle, and rides on a single bearing at the end of the axle housing.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Full floating axle refers to the design of the rear differential. Full floating means the weight of the vehicle is carried by two bearings riding on a spindle. The axle doesnt support any weight, it is solely for propelling the vehicle. Seen on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.
Semi-floating is found on pretty much all half tons and lighter. The axle supports the entire weight of the vehicle, and rides on a single bearing at the end of the axle housing.

Aaaahaaa...now makes more sense. Thanks!

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put a deck and sled or quad in a Raptor...those trucks are made for haulin' azz...not sleds or quads. They are sprung very light in the rear...and I will almost guarantee that you will blow up those Fox Shocks if you haul with it...JMO:D In that payload capacity you have to factor in your personal weight etc too....

Top Bottom