yesterday in Elkford

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is terrible news from Elkford. Our annual Elkford ride is planned for the begining of March. Doesn't seem to be any snow in the forecast either. That really sucks the big one. Well if there isn't going to be snow, I might aswell hope for some sunshine!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
That is terrible news from Elkford. Our annual Elkford ride is planned for the begining of March. Doesn't seem to be any snow in the forecast either. That really sucks the big one. Well if there isn't going to be snow, I might aswell hope for some sunshine!

Pm me for a snow report update when the time is a little closer. Good luck!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I apologize for a lack of action shots. The picture in the bush in Elkford (150 km north of the USA border) shows the XP sitting on the dirt and there may have been 6-12" of snow around the trees. Even with 2 guys pushing and pulling, we couldn't get back up the trail as we were spinning on the dirt, rocks, and logs. Two hours of snowshoes and walking found us a new trail that we used to get out.....we were trying to set the trail into our last basin but there is not enough snow this year so it will have to wait for another year!!

The next picture is a little closer to Montana and it is 15 km north of the border. Cabin Pass has a nice base (3 feet) with about 12 inches of fluff on top (finally some of that legendary Fernie Powder!!). Totally untracked logging roads and landings. The whoops were fun but no action shots, sorry.

It is interesting that the further east and south one goes the snow gets less and less.

Attachments

• Waynes16i.jpg
    Waynes16i.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Cabin Passi.jpg
    Cabin Passi.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 59

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We have had some snow....you be the judge....an awesome day with snow over the windshield all day....MountainMaster and myself were even stuck on the road?????

The base sucks but even this late in the season one can hope....another dump and use this dump for a base and we might salvage the next month....

Note the avy on the side hill....PWL is very evident and for those who like to climb please forget it this year. The alpine is very sketchy in the Kootenay's and like it or not one has to be careful below treeline.....

Attachments

• Nordstrom2009-1i.jpg
    Nordstrom2009-1i.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Nordstrom2009-2i.jpg
    Nordstrom2009-2i.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Nordstrom2009-4i.jpg
    Nordstrom2009-4i.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Nordstrom2009-5i.jpg
    Nordstrom2009-5i.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 47

bcskier

Reaction score
Nice to have winter back in the Valley huh!.....Hope everyone has a safe weekend. The avi meter isn't off the wall, but remember the strong north/ northwest winds that came with the snow....watch out for those big wind loaded slopes. Have fun everyone and be safe, I hate statistics!!

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow great pictures! I think only snowmobliers can understand how exciting it is when its possible to get stuck on a road or in the staging area!! LOL

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm hit n' the Elk Valley next week, now thanks to the post I'm looking forward to the trip.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Originally Posted by ferniesnow
(Note the avy on the side hill....PWL is very evident and for those who like to climb please forget it this year. The alpine is very sketchy in the Kootenay's and like it or not one has to be careful below treeline.....)

I agree. Went to Sparwood area on the Feb.27. Didnt find as much snow as you guys but Still had what seemed to be safe fun to me.About as safe as hitting barb wire in a field,or getting shot at going to walmart. hehehe.:beer::beer::beer:

[media]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd64/80malibu80/DSC00536.jpg[/media]
[media]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd64/80malibu80/DSC00534.jpg[/media]
[media]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd64/80malibu80/DSC00546.jpg[/media]
[media]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd64/80malibu80/2009022714302817.jpg[/media]

Last edited:

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Somebody must have rode this past weekend, post some pics, I'm sure everybody would like to see them!!

Top Bottom