yesterday in Elkford

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A picture or two from Elkford....sure have too look to find new snow but as the pictures suggest there is some around....

Attachments

• Sloughs 2009 7i.jpg
    Sloughs 2009 7i.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Sloughs 2009 3i.jpg
    Sloughs 2009 3i.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Sloughs 2009 2i.jpg
    Sloughs 2009 2i.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 71

r2d2

Reaction score
I heard the trail in is fast from recent grooming. Hardly anyones been out. Looks like fun

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I heard the trail in is fast from recent grooming. Hardly anyones been out. Looks like fun

Yes, the trail should be great all the way over to the Bull. It was groomed last Thursday but it won't be groomed again until we get more snow. We are right in the dirt in many places.

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
man

sure want to head out to Fernie here, but lack of snow is dissapointing

thanks for the pics FS

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Hardly anybody's been out because the snow suckkkkks. Got 2" on Friday, Feb.6 and maybe a little more up top but everything is rode out and crusty.

I haven't even got any secret places to go to anymore. There are miles and miles of trail riding and the trails aren't whooped out because we have had no traffic. The cut blocks still have stumps, slash, and rocks showing; 08/09 is going down in the record books as a poor year....:beer:

Last edited:
M

mattmedic

:pfresh untouched snow to be found in and around the Elkford area, here are a few pics of jeepchic, woodies, and myself tracking it up.........:cool::cool:

Attachments

• IMG_2485.jpg
    IMG_2485.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2490.jpg
    IMG_2490.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2505.jpg
    IMG_2505.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 63

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Looks good mattmedic! I am going up for a little tour tomorrow and will let everyone know where the snow actually is.

Must have had quite a bit more up top than local rumors have said. I was in the Flathead on the weekend and I will check it out with a fine tooth comb....

M

mattmedic

Looks good mattmedic! I am going up for a little tour tomorrow and will let everyone know where the snow actually is.

Must have had quite a bit more up top than local rumors have said. I was in the Flathead on the weekend and I will check it out with a fine tooth comb....
there was 5-6" atop koko claims on sat..., those pics were on the lakes above booths cabin, if you know where that is...... heard there wasn't much snow at abruzzi lake, lots of land mines and lake was like glass..... not good.....we should go riding some time...

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
there was 5-6" atop koko claims on sat..., those pics were on the lakes above booths cabin, if you know where that is...... heard there wasn't much snow at abruzzi lake, lots of land mines and lake was like glass..... not good.....we should go riding some time...

No offence but there is only a couple of inches in Smith, Koko, and Mear Lake today. The riding was nice but the powder is hard to find....not much on top of the hero snow....

Yes, I know where Booth's cabin is and when we broke the last part of the trail in there on Jan 2nd (snowshoed for 2 hours) this is what it looked like....we had an awesome day!!

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Haven't been back since as I didn't want to struggle with the ruts and not a lot of new snow. Still some trail to break up there into the back but the avy's aren't all down and this year is a little sketchy so we haven't pushed it.

Would be great to get together for a ride, PM me when you are coming out. And as I said earlier.....there are miles of trails and they are in great shape but not a lot of play areas left. Maybe I'm spoiled, as I have hit 7 places this winter with virgin snow just like the slideshow. Even with a poor snow year I have had some great days!!!! Cheers, fs

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
FS, those are from Jan 2 right?
not recent???

That's right enis750! It is nice to live out here and get the chance to get into these areas first. Most of them are a lot of work....3 days of snowshoes (for the photo shoot) to pack the trail and then......sweet. If we were in the Revy snowbelt it would be awesome but then again the traffic would be horrendous....

Our last area to go to is another couple basins over but I don't think we'll be getting there this year as there is not enough snow. The nuggets are huge and without about 5' more snow it will have to wait. Tried a little bit yesterday, got turned back by some really big rocks, and then we couldn't get back up some of the climbs. Had to snowshoe down the creek, and then back to the machines and get them down the creek. A long day and many rocks, stumps, and a lot of deadfall. No carnage but a very trying day.

Trail riding is good and as mattmedic says "there is some snow" but we are spoiled and unless we get a lot of fresh.....

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's right enis750! It is nice to live out here and get the chance to get into these areas first. Most of them are a lot of work....3 days of snowshoes (for the photo shoot) to pack the trail and then......sweet. If we were in the Revy snowbelt it would be awesome but then again the traffic would be horrendous....

Our last area to go to is another couple basins over but I don't think we'll be getting there this year as there is not enough snow. The nuggets are huge and without about 5' more snow it will have to wait. Tried a little bit yesterday, got turned back by some really big rocks, and then we couldn't get back up some of the climbs. Had to snowshoe down the creek, and then back to the machines and get them down the creek. A long day and many rocks, stumps, and a lot of deadfall. No carnage but a very trying day.

Trail riding is good and as mattmedic says "there is some snow" but we are spoiled and unless we get a lot of fresh.....

hmmm.......i cant beleive that FERNIE doesnt have snow this year
when i used to snowboard FERNIE was the c h it !! always had snow..& a lot of it
just a crappy year i guess hey?

thanks for the update FS!!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
hmmm.......i cant beleive that FERNIE doesnt have snow this year
when i used to snowboard FERNIE was the c h it !! always had snow..& a lot of it
just a crappy year i guess hey?

thanks for the update FS!!!!

enis750, you have to remember my S&M handle is ferniesnow but I live in Elkford. I belong to the Fernie club and groom for them and also groom in Elkford. I have the best of both worlds!!

The snow is better in Fernie than it is in Elkford but saying that IMHO the best snow in the Kootenay's is in and around the Coal Summit ie Rolling Hills and the Wrangler's cabin area. It is about 4-5' deep but crusted and when one breaks through you are on the ground.

Just got back from grooming Fernie and there is 3-4" of fresh on top of the "hero snow" around the Summit. I was in the Flathead on Saturday and there is nothing new. Crusty and solid. Not enough depth to cover the stumps nor rocks.

The trail riding is great with an occasional jump into the trees and all the while saying a little prayer...."please Lord no surprises!"

W

woodies

hmmmmmm looks like we found the secret spots;) last weekend in places was nice! like was said trail is fast, sliders are worn even with scratchers!!!:d

Attachments

• 100_2033.jpg
    100_2033.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_2041.jpg
    100_2041.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 59

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Woodies, I replied to mattmedic in a couple of posts above with the following link...

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

I'm glad you found Crossing Lakes but I don't know about it being "secret"! When we break the trail we always hope that we don't leave too much for the last day as sometimes it has been dark when we reach the first lake. Then it is up early to make sure we are first on the pow.

Nice to see happy riders up here in Elkford this year. When I rode the truly deep powder in early Jan it was sweet (the closest we have to Revy this year!!) and now all our basins this year are just "oh well, next year will be better."

Top Bottom